Fix-It Friday thread

Ark

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browns are up now: http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/09/25/fix-it-friday-cleveland-browns/

brownsfinal1-590x454.jpg

i feel good about this design, but i should address something in the article i wish i had caught before posting. i touch on the color application of the stripe on the brown jersey. my initial thought was i would flip the colors of the stripe (so it became 2 white bars and 1 orange bar) but that would only have made the problem worse. my final solution was to just make the stripe shorter and that i feel was the correct solution.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Much better, obviously. The only things I am unsure about is that the white jersey seems to have a thicker center sleeve stripe than the brown (am I just seeing this wrong?) and the brown pants have no stripes. I think the brown pants would look nicer with stripes (and would tie the whole set together better)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Browns' new uniform is an abomination, and ideally, I'd nuke it out of existence.

However, as an experiment, I thought it might be interesting to try to graft a few of the new elements (shadowed numbers, the new orange, large chest wordmark, the mix-n-match elements, the new helmet in totality) onto the old uniform. Here's what I got...

BROWN4_zpsvjdim1gy.png

Browns are up now: http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/09/25/fix-it-friday-cleveland-browns/

brownsfinal1-590x454.jpg

i feel good about this design, but i should address something in the article i wish i had caught before posting. i touch on the color application of the stripe on the brown jersey. my initial thought was i would flip the colors of the stripe (so it became 2 white bars and 1 orange bar) but that would only have made the problem worse. my final solution was to just make the stripe shorter and that i feel was the correct solution.

Much better, obviously. The only things I am unsure about is that the white jersey seems to have a thicker center sleeve stripe than the brown (am I just seeing this wrong?) and the brown pants have no stripes. I think the brown pants would look nicer with stripes (and would tie the whole set together better)

Clearly better--the orange numbers on white uniforms has grown on me quite a lot and the shoulder stripes don't look bad in action. The brown pants need stripes and the set needs orange pants (and probably an alternate!) IMO, but this fixes the worst of the Browns' look.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

brownsfinal1-590x454.jpg

Clearly better--the orange numbers on white uniforms has grown on me quite a lot and the shoulder stripes don't look bad in action. The brown pants need stripes and the set needs orange pants (and probably an alternate!) IMO, but this fixes the worst of the Browns' look.

they along with the word mark, make the numbers hard to read. especially because everything is orange (stripe is primarily orange) oon the brown jersey. i shortened the stripe not only an an aesthetic preference, but to apply some hierarchy to the jersey elements that would allow the numbers to be more readable.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

To @oldschoolvikings & @Lights Out: Both your concepts looks fantastic. And to review them each one

a.) oldschoolvikings - Love the stripes on the sleeves with the number font being more modern, but also half-recognized, Also emphasis on the drop shadow trims too.

b.) Lights Out - Cool jersey concept, but it would be better if the stripes would be where the numbers are (sleeve-wise), while the numbers should be on the shoulders. Plus, love the QB-style loose-sleeve jersey template. I wonder who has created it, because I've been trying to find some ideas and such (where I saw something similar from one of your most-recent past topics).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

I... just...can't... accept that brown pants, especially solid brown pants, look good. I did grow up in the Brian Sipe browns era, and think the orange pants with stripes looked good.

I like the fix-it design, three and 1/2 stars.

White numbers on the brown jersey - yes.

Shorter stripes - yes

New orange-yes

take browns off the pants - yes

Orange numbers on the road jersey - yes

I vote to keep the large "CLEVELAND" on all three jerseys

I vote for white and orange pants with striping all the way down - no brown pants needed, no "BROWNS". Still leaves five options (no O-O-O).

I vote for orange alternate jerseys - worn with the white pants

and please alternate the socks so they don't match the pants.

I don't mind having nine options, just don't wear bad ones. Seahawks have nine options, have only worn five.

The five plus years with the bill's uglies helped bring about the nice ones they wear now...

I do like the concepts and I know the whole point of this thread is to fix wthe current mess, but I still don't understand the change. The Browns uniforms were arguably the most classic in the NFL. Sorry for the mini rant. These concepts are really great, though, and would be much welcomed changes.

cleveland%20browns%20redo%20home%201%20O

This was something I had floating in my head when the full set came out. I think the giant wordmarks don't work on the pants because everyone feels it isn't professional enough. I agree but I wanted to see if they could still function as a smaller wordmark set into the pant stripe. I also think the numbers from the wordmark set make this a better looking uniform as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Perhaps I should not keep posting on the thread I started, since it seems clear this is where most folks are posting response concepts to the Fix It Friday. So here is my Cleveland fix.

Browns15_zpsgbc3fpt3.png

i really like what you've done with the stripes there, and if i were starting over with the Browns i would probably do something similar. i think "stripe consistency" is something that is generally overrated and variety is a good thing, BUT the browns' identity is built on color and shape (stripe) and i think it would be good to treat that iconic stripe with a little more "respect" within a design - because what they've always done is have each piece (helmet, jersey, pants) with a different stripe treatment. and when their main set is 3 different colors, each piece of the uniform gets a different stripe or color application and that really leads to some visual chaos - which is why i like the blank brown pants so much; without the stripe, they provide a resting point for your eyes and is 1 less stripe variation. this concept makes sure the stripe colors are always the same and there is a beautiful harmony and unity to it. really well done

GRAPHIC ARTIST

From my NFL series: I think the Browns looked their best in the 80's. At that time they wore numbers on their sleeves and most players had their sleeve stripes cut off revealing only the top two or three stripes. This left them with big beautiful empty shoulder space, a look befitting of their old school image. I've reverted back to that and the only detail on the jerseys other than plain block numbers is the small stripes on the sleeve cuffs. I also went back to the less garish thin pants stripe and used a white facemask to better tie the helmet in with the rest of the uniform. There's also an orange pants option.

Cleveland-Browns_zpsa5573821.png

new-browns-logo_zpsa557f5ea.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

I do like the concepts and I know the whole point of this thread is to fix wthe current mess, but I still don't understand the change. The Browns uniforms were arguably the most classic in the NFL. Sorry for the mini rant. These concepts are really great, though, and would be much welcomed changes.

Don't be sorry. You're absolutely right. The Browns ruined a truly classic and unique look for some collegiate Nike garbage.

From my NFL series: I think the Browns looked their best in the 80's. At that time they wore numbers on their sleeves and most players had their sleeve stripes cut off revealing only the top two or three stripes. This left them with big beautiful empty shoulder space, a look befitting of their old school image. I've reverted back to that and the only detail on the jerseys other than plain block numbers is the small stripes on the sleeve cuffs. I also went back to the less garish thin pants stripe and used a white facemask to better tie the helmet in with the rest of the uniform. There's also an orange pants option.

Cleveland-Browns_zpsa5573821.png

new-browns-logo_zpsa557f5ea.png

im not sure how the cuff stripes would work (im reminded of what Nike did to the Chiefs, moving the stripes up the sleeve and it paid off for a more consistent look) and would worry about them being something closer to the 49ers stripes rather than showing up on the field as intended. but, i do like this direction a lot - it minimizes a stripe on the uniform and all of the negative space in the jersey works really well. on a template, it is much better than having all 3 pieces (or 4 with the socks) sporting a huge stripe across it. i would probably thin down the pants stripe as well to match the jersey a bit better

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived