Browns Bucs

Buffalo

Damn, the Bucs old set was so sexy. You never fully appreciate a good uniform until it's gone.

Their previous set was and will always be my favorite NFL uniform of all time. Nothing will ever look better than this:

sabby_piscitelli_2010_01_03.jpg

spacer.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, the Bucs old set was so sexy. You never fully appreciate a good uniform until it's gone.

Their previous set was and will always be my favorite NFL uniform of all time. Nothing will ever look better than this:

Its rare now-a-days to see that many colors utilized with in a team's identity, any less balancing all those colors in a uniform. Red, Black, White, Orange, and Pewter. I can't think of too many other teams that had 5 colors on their uniform.

Baltimore, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New England, Giants, Philadelphia all balance 4 colors off the top of my head.

I like the new wordmark because it is a little cleaner than the old one, but other than that, every single aspect of the Bucs' new branding is a downgrade from the previous incarnation. That set in your photo was great.

The old one had the right amount of ruggedness to fit the pirate theme, if that makes sense. I find that the new logo is too clean and crisp for a team called the Buccaneers. Stupid.

The one thing they did do right was the new color shades. I would have just taken the new pewter, and replaced it with the black altogether on the old look.

I wish they could come up with a happy medium between the two. The old one in my opinion was starting to look dated but the new is just too symmetrical for my taste. I remember seeing someone in concepts do a combo of the two but I forget who. sorry

As a Browns fan, the uniforms worn in the Week 1 preseason game against Washington (all white) were pretty good in person. I'm watching the Browns-Bucs preseason game on DVR right now to see the first half. On TV, the brown jersey is.... underwhelming. The white upshadow actually hinders your ability to see the numbers clearly. It would've been better to go solid orange numbers, no outline or shadow. The only real complaint about them that I can't stand is the BROWNS down the pant leg. I can handle the rest, even if I don't like it.

As for the Bucs, their new look is horrid. Those pewter and red uniforms were one of the best I'd seen for a 'non-tradition based uniform' such as the Packers, Bears, etc.

Everyone complained about the old Bucs set and now nobody is happy. Sometimes you have to be ok with "good enough" and leave it be.

Everyone? I've never heard anything negative about it...

It was always "it's tired" or "it's dated" or complaints about pewter or too many colors,

or more common, "THEY NEED TO BRING BACK BRUCE!" and a love affair with creamsicles.

Well, now it's changed, and nobody is happy.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Everyone complained about the old Bucs set and now nobody is happy. Sometimes you have to be ok with "good enough" and leave it be.

It was always "it's tired" or "it's dated" or complaints about pewter or too many colors,

or more common, "THEY NEED TO BRING BACK BRUCE!" and a love affair with creamsicles.

I don't remember that. I thought it was widely accepted as a modern classic. I remember I once complained about it, calling it derivative of the 49ers look and was thoroughly thrashed in the argument that followed.

The orange/Bruce had its fans, but most of the praise was along the lines of "I think the Bucs have two great looks, so they can stay with the current set with the throwbacks as alternates."

yup saw a picture looked like high school (Cleveland) and Tampa no better

That's not fair to high school teams. B) These picks are from a game I covered last Friday.

ee167967-bcdc-4e61-868a-558aaec95045.jpg03fbef9f-7014-4ad3-a5c0-51a66d98b894.jpg

Granted, it looks a lot like the Cowboys are playing the Packers, but it still looked a whole lot better than the uniform disaster that was Browns - Bucs.

BB52Big.jpg

Could you provide some examples of this? There were certainly calls to go back to Bruce, but I don't recall them being disparaging to the old set - just a preference for orange or nostalgia or something. I don't recall anyone claiming the last set was tired or dated.

Edit: there were complaints when they wore the white pants. That's really all I can recall in terms of negative comments

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The previous Bucs set was football gold in that all those colors together shouldn't have worked but did, and quite beautifully at that.

I prefer the new Browns shoulder stripes and the brown facemask. But that's about it.

Midway.png

Archived