Browns Bucs

Buffalo

I don't think pewter would have worked anywhere on the jerseys. maybe the numbers, if you had white around them. From a distance, it wouldn't contrast the dark red enough.

Agreed that the sleeve logo looked like blobs. The skull might have been better. Also, yeah, the orange kinda clashed with the red, and looks as forced as the navy does in the Bills set. And the wordmark is kinda childish and illegible.

But you know what? It just worked. It's one of those situations where 1+1+2+1 = 10.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have built a new Buccaneers identity around the new pirate ship logo and the creamsicle colors. That color scheme is better for this decade of re-embracing bright colors, but the old logo wasn't going to cut it. However, no one would make gay jokes about it anymore, there is that.

I've always thought Black (or Dark Gray) and Creamsicle (perhaps with red accents) would be a great way to bridge the previous and original sets. I've always liked the idea of putting the skull and swords a la carte on a more neutral gray or black helmet with creamsicle (and red) accents, not unlike this:

current-bucs-helmet-2.jpg

But while I'm at it, I'll say this about the older Bucs set: While I wasn't a fan of

1.) How warm the pewter was (it did look a bit too much like a duller, washed-out version of the 1990s/early 2000s 49ers set, like Admiral said) and

2.) The lack (and darker shade) of orange in the old set,

I'd gladly see it return in a heartbeat.

(Admittedly, this current set managed to get the colorway right, and I don't mind a larger-than-normal-but-smaller-than-the-current flag on the helmet, but that really is it.)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Those '90s Bucs uniforms are so overrated. The color distribution was horrible. They had a unique, ownable color in pewter and left it off the jerseys (arguably the most important part of the uniform due to retail) entirely in favor of BFBS. The sleeve logos looked like tiny illegible blobs.

We've done this dance before, but you say all this like it's a bad thing and I think it's what made that uniform work.

Pewter on the jersey? Overkill - look at the current uniforms and that's all the evidence you need for not putting pewter on a jersey. Not every part of a uniform needs every color to be present to work as a cohesive set. Judging a whole uniform based on how one piece looks in retail is asinine.

They had an ownable color in pewter and they owned the f*** out of it by having enough restraint not to bash us over the head with it by smearing it on the every part of the uniform. That was their color. Did anyone else use pewter? No. It was on the helmets and pants. It's not like it was a tiny stripe. BFBS? I'd argue black was incredibly necessary in separating the warm colors from the dirty pewter and did a fine job at adding that extra strength that comes with using black. Look at the current trash to see what happens when red and orange are placed right next to "pewter". It's gross. That wasn't black for black sake. That was black for Making-The-Uniform-Look-Great's sake.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Am I the only one who thinks that the Buccaneers could look awesome in Pewter and their old creamsicle orange? That would be so unique and I bet it could look really cool. Anyways, instead of a bunch of thoughts, I'm going to say this. Tampa Bay and Cleveland have completely destroyed their uniforms and the people who signed off on their designs and new looks should be fired.

Yeah that the Bucs' creamsicles have become this sort of ironically cool, nostalgic-induced throwback favorite is straight revisionism. In 1996 they were a joke. NOBODY liked them and everyone agreed they needed to go. If this board existed back then we'd all have been gushing over the pewters.

They changed in 1997 and everyone collectively went "yeah now they look like a football team. Okay." It's not a coincidence the team got better.

To me, what ruined that set was the introduction of the orange pants with the orange socks. The uniform seemed to really look good until they went so heavy on the orange.

Yeah that the Bucs' creamsicles have become this sort of ironically cool, nostalgic-induced throwback favorite is straight revisionism. In 1996 they were a joke. NOBODY liked them and everyone agreed they needed to go. If this board existed back then we'd all have been gushing over the pewters.

They changed in 1997 and everyone collectively went "yeah now they look like a football team. Okay." It's not a coincidence the team got better.

To me, what ruined that set was the introduction of the orange pants with the orange socks. The uniform seemed to really look good until they went so heavy on the orange.

I don't have any written proof, but I still like the creamsicles. The only thing I didn't like was the orange pants.

Harmening summarizes my position pretty well.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The only way the 97 set could have been improved would have been to make the sleeve cuffs and collar orange instead of black, and to make the orange stripe thicker and the black thinner on the pants. Maybe red socks could have been better, but I'm not 100% sure about it

Orange cuffs on a dark red jersey would look horrible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Those '90s Bucs uniforms are so overrated. The color distribution was horrible. They had a unique, ownable color in pewter and left it off the jerseys (arguably the most important part of the uniform due to retail) entirely in favor of BFBS. The sleeve logos looked like tiny illegible blobs.

We've done this dance before, but you say all this like it's a bad thing and I think it's what made that uniform work.

Pewter on the jersey? Overkill - look at the current uniforms and that's all the evidence you need for not putting pewter on a jersey. Not every part of a uniform needs every color to be present to work as a cohesive set. Judging a whole uniform based on how one piece looks in retail is asinine.

They had an ownable color in pewter and they owned the f*** out of it by having enough restraint not to bash us over the head with it by smearing it on the every part of the uniform. That was their color. Did anyone else use pewter? No. It was on the helmets and pants. It's not like it was a tiny stripe. BFBS? I'd argue black was incredibly necessary in separating the warm colors from the dirty pewter and did a fine job at adding that extra strength that comes with using black. Look at the current trash to see what happens when red and orange are placed right next to "pewter". It's gross. That wasn't black for black sake. That was black for Making-The-Uniform-Look-Great's sake.

+1

Even though I honestly like those creamsicle uniforms, the black and pewter addition was definitely an upgrade.

The only way the 97 set could have been improved would have been to make the sleeve cuffs and collar orange instead of black, and to make the orange stripe thicker and the black thinner on the pants. Maybe red socks could have been better, but I'm not 100% sure about it

:o Noooooo, don't that to me.

I might be a tad biased, and it's not exactly football, but it would be be pretty similar to this, from a pure color balance point of view

francesco-totti.jpg

And it's not like it would be that different from the creamsicles. It might be even more football-y, since usually the darker color is the main one and the accents are brighter. And it would help in making it look less like a 49ers ripoff

Just a quick&dirty&awful rendering with orange cuffs, thicker orange stripes and red socks (and I don't think the red came out well in this picture, i remember it being a lot darker IRL)

buccaneers_tweaks.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Uh oh, the red socks make them look even more like the 49ers.

Ideal Bucs logo:

qR0EUi4.jpg

Just took the new secondary and stripped out a lot of messy details. Creamsicle colors, has roughly the same proportions as Bucco Bruce without inviting gay jokes, allows for a "third era" of pirate imagery from pirate to skull and crossbones flag to pirate ship. I'll admit that it's not a very dynamic logo, but I'll take that over a giant flag, alarm-clock numbers, and warm grey shoulders.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I might be a tad biased, and it's not exactly football, but it would be be pretty similar to this, from a pure color balance point of view

francesco-totti.jpg

And it's not like it would be that different from the creamsicles. It might be even more football-y, since usually the darker color is the main one and the accents are brighter. And it would help in making it look less like a 49ers ripoff

Just a quick&dirty&awful rendering with orange cuffs, thicker orange stripes and red socks (and I don't think the red came out well in this picture, i remember it being a lot darker IRL)

buccaneers_tweaks.png

I think this would look better of the collar and cuffs were half black / half orange, with the orange on the inside. It would match the pants stripe amd numbers, and there would be better color distribution.

francesco-totti.jpg

buccaneers_tweaks.png

That doesn't look horrible, but I don't think it wild have worked on the Bucs uniforms unless they purged black completely. Need black on the cuffs for balance. I'd have to see a mock up to decide for sure

Archived