OffCenteredScoreboard

short lived and/or whacky NBA/NCAA court designs and NFL/NCAA endzones

8247627032_0c6bbfc46b_z_zpsc81aa954.jpg

I always found that one rather hypnotic. As if the paint scheme is convincing my brain it's not really wood, rather some shiny slippery synthetic surface.

Hah... looking at it again now, those 2 basketballs are even more hypnotic.

I remember that Hornets court...no pics at the moment, but in any event, I remember the first season the Ravens used their current logo, they had black end zones that just had the raven head in the middle. The next year, the raven shifted over to the left, and they put RAVENS 2000 on the other side. For the life of me, I wanna say the NFL shield was at the 50, but I'm not 100% on that.

More NFL, back in the olden days when the Cardinals and Arizona State shared Sun Devil Stadium, both used separate but understandably basic end zone art. In 98 (I recall thinking "holy crap the Cards aren't horrible like usual" that year) after ASU's season ended, the Cards rolled out Arizona flag end zones, which were sadly never revisited.

Then, for the first game after Lambeau Field's renovations were completed several years back, IIRC the midfield G was replaced by the Rebirth of a Legend logo. I know they had Notre Dame-style slash marks in the end zones for at least the early part of Lambeau's 50th anniversary season, if not all of it.

For a while in the mid 90s, the Bears replaced the usual midfield C with the Ditka bear, and the highway-style Chicago lettering was replaced with a Bears script, reversing both changes by about 1999 at the latest, IIRC.

I wanna see pics of all those ^^ especially the Ravens and Packers fields you described.

Cardinals:

rzbOwTf.gif

Ravens 2000:

ClsRzMO.jpg

mHETZIe.png

I never loved this thing...

10VanGrizCourt.gif

I actually thought their entire branding was weak.

I disagree. I thought the Vancouver Grizzlies had a very unique and solid, albeit VERY 90's, look during their time.

My least favorite NBA court ever.

check-out-these-cool-3-d-graphics-used-o

It grew on me and with technology I'm surprised most teams don't do this

No pictures but I remember the Lakers changed their center court on their final season at The Forum

No pictures but I remember the Lakers changed their center court on their final season at The Forum

That always annoyed me every time I saw it.

Cardinals:

rzbOwTf.gif

Ravens 2000:

ClsRzMO.jpg

mHETZIe.png

For the record, the still photo represents the colors better. The 2000 was red, not yellow.

That Cards end zone was SWEET!

I've seen that sort of thing on either side of the goals on soccer pitches lately. Not a fan; too disorienting.

458801278-basketball-nba-playoffs-overal

Agreed.

Heck, bring that design back for a game or two. It'll make up for their awful ugly disgusting uni's that I have to look at. LOL

Agreed.

Heck, bring that design back for a game or two. It'll make up for their awful ugly disgusting uni's that I have to look at. LOL

I agree, that end zone is absolutely gorgeous.

Merry Christmas from Jacksonville! I swear the Bears had the bear logo with the santa hat on it once. But I am not 100 percent on that. Could just be one of those things I wish they did as a kid.

FmtGo.jpg

And Happy Thanksgiving from Arizona State

791f044472d5e6e15dfb9a86e7e76379d5dbb9e6

DC's post above reminded me of one. I cant find a pic, but the Broncos v. Patriots 2009 throwback game at Mile High featured old school slashes/diamonds in the end zones. There's several youtube videos (fan-made) out there, but I can't find any proper highlights to make a screencap of.