short lived and/or whacky NBA/NCAA court designs and NFL/NCAA endzones

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Texans blue endzones only made it for a few games into the inaugural season in 2002, before they discovered it was destroying the grass. Since it's now been determined that the grass sucked hardcore anyways, maybe they'll bring it back with the artificial surface beginning this weekend:

nrg-stadium-section-618-view.jpg

Texans blue endzones only made it for a few games into the inaugural season in 2002, before they discovered it was destroying the grass. Since it's now been determined that the grass sucked hardcore anyways, maybe they'll bring it back with the artificial surface beginning this weekend:

That was the best their field ever looked. The endzone is perfect with no NFL shield taking up space.

Back when the Texans debuted their Red alternate uniforms, they would paint the outline around their word-mark in red.

Second_Andre_TD_catch.png

Merry Christmas from Jacksonville! I swear the Bears had the bear logo with the santa hat on it once. But I am not 100 percent on that. Could just be one of those things I wish they did as a kid.

FmtGo.jpg

I remember the story of the NFL not liking the official logo being altered. The suits like their branding to not be interfered with.

iq5b7nF.png

DC's post above reminded me of one. I cant find a pic, but the Broncos v. Patriots 2009 throwback game at Mile High featured old school slashes/diamonds in the end zones. There's several youtube videos (fan-made) out there, but I can't find any proper highlights to make a screencap of.

That season was a slow progression for the endzones.

Week 2 had slashes:

r-SPORTS-AUTHORITY-SIGN-MILE-HIGH-STADIU

Week 4 had unfilled diamonds:

Screenshot%202015-09-28%2020.35.13_zpsac

Week 5 had alternating diamonds filled white:

Screenshot%202015-09-28%2020.35.19_zpspq

Week 11 began alternating blue and orange diamonds:

Screenshot%202015-09-28%2020.35.22_zps80

I've never seen a team change its endzone this many times in a season, but it was definitely a unique progression to watch!

You're right about that. I still like the blue and orange diamonds, too.

I miss the old days at Mile High when they had the block letters in white and drop shadows. Those were awesome.

It'd be pretty cool if we had an archive to keep track of everyone's end zones from over the years. (Sort of like how we do them in the concepts forum for super bowls or what not.)

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

DC's post above reminded me of one. I cant find a pic, but the Broncos v. Patriots 2009 throwback game at Mile High featured old school slashes/diamonds in the end zones. There's several youtube videos (fan-made) out there, but I can't find any proper highlights to make a screencap of.

That season was a slow progression for the endzones.

Week 2 had slashes:

r-SPORTS-AUTHORITY-SIGN-MILE-HIGH-STADIU

Week 4 had unfilled diamonds:

Screenshot%202015-09-28%2020.35.13_zpsac

Week 5 had alternating diamonds filled white:

Screenshot%202015-09-28%2020.35.19_zpspq

Week 11 began alternating blue and orange diamonds:

Screenshot%202015-09-28%2020.35.22_zps80

I've never seen a team change its endzone this many times in a season, but it was definitely a unique progression to watch!

Denver should go back to the blue and orange diamonds full time. great look

• 2 weeks later...

Archived