Google Reveals New Logo

Webhamster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, serifs add more visual information, which leads to larger file sizes, which leads to slower load times

C'mon... this is "stripes make the jersey too heavy"!

im not sure what you're trying to say. both of those things are absolute fact. when you add more information to a graphic it slows down load times. when you add material to a jersey it adds weight. the amount of which may be small, but if the goal is to make something as light/fast as possible, then this is how you do it. Designers at Google do not do things half-assed or "good enough", they put in a lot of thought and time to make things the best they can possibly be. that's the point.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Also, serifs add more visual information, which leads to larger file sizes, which leads to slower load times

im not sure what you're trying to say. both of those things are absolute fact. when you add more information to a graphic it slows down load times. when you add material to a jersey it adds weight. the amount of which may be small, but if the goal is to make something as light/fast as possible, then this is how you do it. Designers at Google do not do things half-assed or "good enough", they put in a lot of thought and time to make things the best they can possibly be. that's the point.

It's a reference to the San Jose Sharks removing waist striping from their jerseys because they think the lighter jerseys will give them a competitive advantage.

"No serifs means it'll load faster!" is similarly just as pointless. Will it be faster/lighter, technically speaking? Sure. Enough for anyone to actually notice or gain an advantage? No. It's all naval-gazing.

I'll clarify for you. Cosmic is saying that any supposed increase in load times is pretty negligible to the end user. Does the google webpage actually seem to be loading noticeable faster for you with the new logo? Because I don't really notice a difference. Also, if that was one of the main reasons for the change, Google would have mentioned it in their explanation. It would have made the change more explicable. They didn't say anything about getting rid of the serifs to decrease load times because that is not why they changed their logo. If that really mattered, they wouldn't have waited nearly 20 years to make the change.

Regarding the stripes comment, Cosmic was making a joke about how using your logic, teams should avoid stripes (or patches, or large wordmarks, or piping, or names-on-back, or any letters on jerseys at all) because your logic would make it seem like those are things that actually affect a team's performance. All teams want to win, and using your logic, teams would basically make their jerseys practically blank if these things actually mattered. They really don't There are such things as "negligible factors."

However, if a team ever blames stripes for their bad performance, citing the weight the stripes add, I will give your viewpoint a little more consideration.

I'll clarify for you. Cosmic is saying that any supposed increase in load times is pretty negligible to the end user. Does the google webpage actually seem to be loading noticeable faster for you with the new logo? Because I don't really notice a difference. Also, if that was one of the main reasons for the change, Google would have mentioned it in their explanation. It would have made the change more explicable. They didn't say anything about getting rid of the serifs to decrease load times because that is not why they changed their logo. If that really mattered, they wouldn't have waited nearly 20 years to make the change.

So Google made these changes (the explanations are out there, check the link Billy just posted) for giggles then? Lets nevermind the function of the designs, it's not the form (aesthetic) you like so therefore it is a lesser design? And ofcourse the performance wouldnt matter to the millions of people who use dial up internet still either?

Right then.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Being someone who develops on the Web for a living, I'd say that any file size savings is going to be extremely negligible, even at large image sizes.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This might help

1412151184414355887.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm sorry but the new google wordmark is not growing on me, in fact it looks worse every time I see it. I read the entire article explaining the design process, and why I should I like it, and it just came off like the press release for the Carolina Hurricanes "New Storm" back in 2013... Bunch of fancy sounding rhetoric (we removed shoulder patches to instill timelessness :rolleyes:) to justify why I should be in favor of a brand being stripped of its character and replaced by blandness that just happens to be in vogue right now. The assertion that "nostalgia" could be the only reason for anyone preferring the previous iteration is laughably close minded.

They got their logo perfect when they removed the beveling effect in 2013, and there was no reason to ever change again. 13 plus years down the toilet, so they can look like a cheap approximation of Koodo... Even the standalone "G" is nothing more than a good idea (incorporating the the brand colours into a compact icon) that could have been executed better. The font looks like jello letters or kids magnets.

I don't love the change, however I never liked the rainbow coloured serif version either, so at least the new one seems to make more sense. I wish it was all just one colour though. The rainbow scheme (paired with the geometric sans font) makes it even more childish.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I'm sorry but the new google wordmark is not growing on me, in fact it looks worse every time I see it. I read the entire article explaining the design process, and why I should I like it, and it just came off like the press release for the Carolina Hurricanes "New Storm" back in 2013... Bunch of fancy sounding rhetoric (we removed shoulder patches to instill timelessness :rolleyes:) to justify why I should be in favor of a brand being stripped of its character and replaced by blandness that just happens to be in vogue right now. The assertion that "nostalgia" could be the only reason for anyone preferring the previous iteration is laughably close minded.

They got their logo perfect when they removed the beveling effect in 2013, and there was no reason to ever change again. 13 plus years down the toilet, so they can look like a cheap approximation of Koodo... Even the standalone "G" is nothing more than a good idea (incorporating the the brand colours into a compact icon) that could have been executed better. The font looks like jello letters or kids magnets.

This is not something that occurs very often, but I am in 100% total agreement with Morgo on this.
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

You don't have to look too closely, because Google already carefully outlined everything and explained the reasoning behind the changes here: https://design.google.com/articles/evolving-the-google-identity/

In the case of the colors, they altered so that they still look good when there's no whitespace in between each color, as in their new G monogram. You may not "like" them, but it certainly works better and in the new applications it's a undoubtable improvement.

The main thing that irritates me is the multi-colored G logo. It annoys me that it's capitalized and yet looks like crap inside a tab when it's icon is compressed all to hell. I wish they'd just make it a solid color.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The main thing that irritates me is the multi-colored G logo. It annoys me that it's capitalized and yet looks like crap inside a tab when it's icon is compressed all to hell. I wish they'd just make it a solid color.

I think the rainbow G looks good when it's cell-phone-icon size or bigger; it looks like crap as a favicon.

The Google+ logo is the Multi-G in white with a + sign added and it looks just as garrish:

photo.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

The Google+ logo is the Multi-G in white with a + sign added and it looks just as garrish:

photo.jpg

"just as garish"? How so? I think it looks much better without all those colours.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

photo.jpg

"just as garish"? How so? I think it looks much better without all those colours.

I'm sorry, but I don't like the new typeface at all.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived