NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

That whole sequence in which the Hawks scored a goal, had the goal waved off due to highly dubious interference, Joel Quenneville got a penalty for abuse of officials, and then the Coyotes scored on the ensuing power play was like New England Patriots-level spooky good fortune.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't let the fact that NFL rosters are twice the size of NHL rosters, for less than a quarter of the games, get in the way of your argument.

Also don't let the fact that your average NFL career lasts ~3 seasons get in the way of your argument.

And yes, the teams don't have to offer the stupid contracts.  I mean, the union might charge collusion, but the US Justice system isn't exactly worker-friendly at the moment.

As for revenues, you seem to have forgotten that revenues are going up because live content has been increasingly valued for the purposes of airing commercials in the last decade and sports are the most reliable live content there is.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

Are the players greedy when the owners are the ones who offer the stupid contracts that they realize are unaffordable a year or two down the road?

If the owners got together and refused to pay the players what they want then you would hear about Collusion! (dum dum duuuuuuuuuuuuuum)!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. You pay them what they want you run into major financial problems that erode your finances and ruin the economic model of the league. You don't pay them what they want you get accused of collusion. You cant win.

The Catch of the Day!

On February 5, 2016 at 8:33 AM, rams80 said:

Don't let the fact that NFL rosters are twice the size of NHL rosters, for less than a quarter of the games, get in the way of your argument.

Also don't let the fact that your average NFL career lasts ~3 seasons get in the way of your argument.

And yes, the teams don't have to offer the stupid contracts.  I mean, the union might charge collusion, but the US Justice system isn't exactly worker-friendly at the moment.

As for revenues, you seem to have forgotten that revenues are going up because live content has been increasingly valued for the purposes of airing commercials in the last decade and sports are the most reliable live content there is.

I have yet to hear an arugement for why Bettman has been bad for the game.  You only talked about the NFL and ignored the rest of my numbers, MOD EDIT

Boy I hate that Bettman has placed the NHL on NBC and pretty much hand created the NBCSN.   I really wish we got one game on ESPN2 every Wednesday at 8:30pm.

There is honestly no rational argument to hate Bettman.  Not one, but go ahead and cheer on your precious sports heroes for fighting the man.

1 minute ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

If the owners got together and refused to pay the players what they want then you would hear about Collusion! (dum dum duuuuuuuuuuuuuum)!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. You pay them what they want you run into major financial problems that erode your finances and ruin the economic model of the league. You don't pay them what they want you get accused of collusion. You cant win.

See above.  They'd need a smoking gun like a league memo or two to make that charge stick.  Granted this is the Bettman-run NHL we're talking about, so the league might be stupid enough to create that memo.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

I have yet to hear an arugement for why Bettman has been bad for the game.  You only talked about the NFL and ignored the rest of my numbers, good try though kid.

I did address your numbers.   As have others.  TV revenues have gone up across the board  for all sports, not just the NHL.  Which means that it's probably not on Bettman.

Today, we are all otaku.

Just now, rams80 said:

I did address your numbers.   As have others.  TV revenues have gone up across the board  for all sports, not just the NHL.  Which means that it's probably not on Bettman.

"Probably not on Bettman"

Wow, good argument there.  Way to present facts and data to prove your point.

9 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Umm yes the players are greedy.  I am sorry you cant see that.   Do you honestly think the players only wanted $5M a year and the owners forced them to take $10M?? Wake up.  The players are just as much at fault for the lockouts as the owners.  

How can you blame the players for taking what the market gives them or as you put it demanding more money? They have a shelf-life and it's in their best interests to maximize their earning potential while their bodies allow them to earn NHL money. Even the highest paid guys aren't making X million a year for the rest of their lives. They're making X million a year for the rest of the contract that they need to put away for the rest of their lives. The blame goes to the owners for spending out of control and then pulling back. 

Why Bettman has been bad for the game: He cancelled a season!!!! That's inexcusable. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On February 5, 2016 at 8:41 AM, McCarthy said:

How can you blame the players for taking what the market gives them or as you put it demanding more money? They have a shelf-life and it's in their best interests to maximize their earning potential while their bodies allow them to earn NHL money. Even the highest paid guys aren't making X million a year for the rest of their lives. They're making X million a year for the rest of the contract that they need to put away for the rest of their lives. The blame goes to the owners for spending out of control and then pulling back. 

Why Bettman has been bad for the game: He cancelled a season!!!! That's inexcusable. 

MOD EDIT  The NHL didn't cancel the season, the NHL and NHLPA both did. 

Everybody knew the salary cap was coming, your precious NHLPA refused to admit their reality.  Their fantasy world created the cancelled season and yet they STILL took a cap.  They could have saved the season and just admitted the league needed a salary cap for future survival.  Players earning 70% of HRR was not sustainable. 

The facts are the hockey revenue world is strong now, with the salary cap.  The 2004/05 Lockout is on the NHLPA for not working within that cap system.  

On February 5, 2016 at 8:41 AM, CreamSoda said:

With facts and data to back up my claim that Bettman has been good for the NHL?

MOD EDIT

I live in a real world where I just put $5 of gas in my car this morning because that was all I could afford despite both me and my wife having full time jobs.

I have no sympathy for owners with a net worth ranging from hundreds of miilions to billions being hacked off that they can't ramp up their personal profits as much as they would like. And yeah, they ultimately have control over the contracts.

Today, we are all otaku.

On February 5, 2016 at 8:47 AM, rams80 said:

I live in a real world where I just put $5 of gas in my car this morning because that was all I could afford despite both me and my wife having full time jobs.

I have no sympathy for owners with a net worth ranging from hundreds of miilions to billions being hacked off that they can't ramp up their personal profits as much as they would like. And yeah, they ultimately have control over the contracts.

MOD EDIT

Why aren't you mad the NHL Player makes millions of dollars playing a game without ANY of the financial responsibility of an NHL owner??

Are you aware of the financial responsibility the owner has?  The employees, not just players, he has to take care of?  The building leases, etc.  He has a ton of people and entities to take care of, the NHL Player is just one of them.  If the players kept getting 70% of the owners money, it would mean a sharp decline in the wages of the rest of his team, if not being laid off entirely.  

But go ahead, hate the owners for supplying an economy for the city.  Side with the players who play A GAME for a living with no financial responsibility.  

Financial responsibility?

WHAT THE :censored: ?!  EVEN THE GODDAMN COYOTES PROBABLY DON'T LOSE AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY DO ON PAPER AND THEY BASICALLY GET DIRECT CASH TRANSFUSIONS FROM THE CITY OF GLENDALE'S TAXPAYER-FUNDED GENERAL FUND!

AND THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE FLOOR ON NHL TEAMS AND THE FINANCIAL "HAZARDS" INHERENT IN OWNING THEM. IF YOU'RE LOSING MONEY YOU WILL THREATEN TO LEAVE AND GET A SUBSIDY AND HELLO COST CERTAINTY!

AND WHILE WE ARE ON THE TOPIC I DOUBT THE JANITORIAL STAFF AND VENDORS MAKE A LIVING WAGE WORKING AT THOSE ARENAS. MOD EDIT

Today, we are all otaku.

On February 5, 2016 at 9:02 AM, rams80 said:

Financial responsibility?

WHAT THE :censored: ?!  EVEN THE GODDAMN COYOTES PROBABLY DON'T LOSE AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY DO ON PAPER AND THEY BASICALLY GET DIRECT CASH TRANSFUSIONS FROM THE CITY OF GLENDALE'S TAXPAYER-FUNDED GENERAL FUND!

AND THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE FLOOR ON NHL TEAMS AND THE FINANCIAL "HAZARDS" INHERENT IN OWNING THEM. IF YOU'RE LOSING MONEY YOU WILL THREATEN TO LEAVE AND GET A SUBSIDY AND HELLO COST CERTAINTY!

AND WHILE WE ARE ON THE TOPIC I DOUBT THE JANITORIAL STAFF AND VENDORS MAKE A LIVING WAGE WORKING AT THOSE ARENAS.  MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Look, I agree that both sides are greedy and money driven.  But its ridiculous to place all the blame on Bettman for the lockouts.  There is two sides to that coin.

On February 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM, McCarthy said:

Those poor poor owners getting pushed around by the mean greedy players. I heard Jeremy Jacobs is thinking about selling his August house in Cape Cod. 

And this is Bettmans fault how?

Would you prefer we have no rich owners who foot the bill for running a franchise.  That would work so well...

MOD EDIT But yes, lets give all the money to the players because they will fund their own league!!

Archived