NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

Eric Staal? He floats like a turd and has the heart of a jellyfish. Why would anyone without a boner for overrated Canadian dullards want Eric Staal?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to Rutherford installing all the tenacity of a sloth. "Well gee whiz, if you're going to hit me over it, I didn't want the puck that much anyway."

This turned out to be exactly what happened to the Penguins, by the way.

Why couldn't they just have the Habs' and Bruins' anthem singers do the job? It's not like it'd be the first time the anthem was performed at a Winter Classic by one of the teams' regular anthem singers.

Then again, no one is as good as Jim Cornelison...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well, he's an opera singer, so I'm sure he has some chops, but not being able to hear your accompaniment or yourself isn't exactly good for your intonation. Me, I prefer Wayne Messmer's voice (now with the Cubs), who to me sounds a little warmer and a lot less stentorian.

There was a guy named Patrick Blackwell who rotated anthem duties with Cornelison in the tail end of the dark ages, but the team settled on Cornelison I want to say shortly after McDonough came over.

I've said on at least one occasion before that Cornelison becoming the solo anthem singer for the 'Hawks, along with the death of Wirtz, are the symbolic examples of when Chicago's fortunes turned entirely, because both of those occurred either right before, or when the 2007-'08 season began. 2007-'08, of course, being the renaissance season for Chicago hockey.

spacer.png

If the NHL awards Toronto the 2017 Winter Classic, who's the opponent? Without the 100th anniversary of the league pairing up with that chatter, they probably would've already announced Habs-Buds as a Heritage Classic, but that's not what's in play here.

Montreal back to back, placing them into 2 Canadian team matchup for NBC? Not likely.

I'd bet in order- Rangers, Blackhawks, Sabres.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

"1 or 2 elite players away" is not that close to a Stanley Cup Contender.

Haha, true, but sometimes the gap isn't all that hard to bridge: look at the Kings and Stars, who were cannon fodder until each one got a pair of top-six forwards for nothing. Come to think of it, Dallas wasn't made to give up all that much for Spezza, either, what with the way he Keslered the Senators into sending him there.

It isn't always hard to bridge. Just depends entirely on circumstance. For instance, Steven Stamkos may not re-sign in Tampa Bay. Now, because Tampa Bay and Florida are in the same division, this is unlikely. However, if you get a team about to lose a star player for nothing, Florida would have a chance to give up just a little to get a lot (although Stamkos isn't the same player he was two years ago). There are other factors that go into it, obviously, but the point is that an elite player can be acquired. I just don't think there is one this year that will be a prolific scorer available.

As far as UFAs this offseason, Anze Kopitar will probably re-sign in LA (and he's really only ever been an excellent, balanced 20+ guy), Stamkos's situation is up in the air, but if he's not the same guy since his injury then he's not what Florida will want, and then there's Eric Staal who is exactly what the Panthers would have needed...if he were in 2008 form. However, I would guess Staal would still be the best fit out of what is available, and that would at least put the Panthers "in the conversation" as far as Stanley Cup contenders.

As soon as I read this, I thought to myself "Here's a hanging changeup for you, Admiral....see how far you can hit it!". I even got the added effect of a dramatic pause by having to click onto the next page!

Ice at SAP Center is complete garbage tonight for Sharks-Flyers, because the Barracuda played a classic AHL Wednesday afternooner beforehand.

Totally unrelated: The Sharks are 4-10 at home this season.

Well, as a Sharks fan it’s the Sharks organization’s own fault for letting their AHL team play in the same arena. Besides, the ice at the Tank has never been great.

Team Teal did get the win tonight 4-2. The Big Pavelski with two great goals.

I don't quite buy the San Jose hockey doubleheaders making the ice terrible.

The biggest factors in ice maintenance are the climate of the building (not just the bowl area....the entire arena), the climate of the area, and the ice crew wavering from what they normally do during the course of a game day. The fans in the building and all the goings-on in the arena (doors opening for fans to come in, the concession stands being used, etc.) don't really have much impact on the climate of the building changing.

Folks don't realize just how many scrapes and double-scrapes that take place in a normal day. A double-scrape takes place the night before (or in case of venues that share with a basketball team or had an event the day before, a double-scrape after conversion), along with the Extra Ice Work ("EIW" - that motorized tool that takes out the caked-up ice that collects in the wedge between the ice surface and the boards). A scrape takes place early morning (7-8am). A scrape takes place just before the home team's morning skate (Home team's skate is at 10am). A scrape takes place between the home team's and the visiting team's morning skate (home ends at 11am, visitor's skate is at 11:15am). A double-scrape and EIW takes place after the visitor's skate ends (12:30pm). If there's any midday on-ice events, they run from 1pm-5pm (NHL requires the ice to be vacated two hours before faceoff), a double-scrape and EIW takes place after these events. On dark middays, a couple of scrapes during the day. A scrape takes place just before pre-game warm-ups, and a double-scrape takes place after warm-ups. Then double-scrapes during the intermission. If there's a post-game event, just a single scrape. After the game and any post-game event, a double-scrape and EIW takes place. If there's a non-hockey event the next day, a scrape is done before the ice coverings are put on. If the ice is staying out and uncovered, a couple scrapes during the day until the next gameday routine starts over. And the NHL is pretty tough on ice treatment/preparation.

So if the San Jose ice is bad, I would wager it has to do with San Jose's climate most of all.

Jim Cornelison sucks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have gotten crap for saying I don't like Frank Pellico. Not only does he have the repertoire of a fourth-grader, he was also the guy who said the Barton console couldn't be transferred from the Stadium to the United Center, and Wirtz took his word for it, I guess.

Frank Pellico's awful, too. I realized that once I got Center Ice and heard all these other organists doing far more complex compositions and current pop songs. At first, I thought "No way that's live on an organ, that must be a produced recording." Then I realized it was just that I was used to Frank Pellico and his 8-key Fisher Price organ with the frogs' mouths that open when you push the right key.

I went to a game in December of '06 (Friday night, Blues in town, $7 tickets, stadium almost half-full), and one entire intermission was just Pellico on the Jumbotron playing the organ. I think the point was to drive people out to the concourse to buy more booze. As if watching Jassen Cullimore play wasn't going to do that already.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Two nights unsupervised on Lower Broad should take care of that all by itself.

Jeremy Boyer in St. Louis and Dieter something-or-other in L.A. are the best organists I can think of offhand. I know the perception is that organ music at a hockey game is stale and old-fashioned, but organ music is hockey, and if you ask me, what's really stale is playing the same five or six pre-recorded songs, one of which is a Dropkick Murphys song ABOUT BOSTON, game after game after game. With all the efforts to brand the United Center as the Madhouse on Madison like its predecessor, you would think that would include emphasizing one of the most beloved aspects of the Stadium atmosphere, that being the organ.

I think I can pinpoint whenever United Center starts blasting out Madeon's "Finale" at every close Blackhawk and Bull game I watch at this point.

BTW worst organist is by far San Jose's. A whopping four songs on the playlist for the Sega Genesis organ

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I noticed that the Dallas Stars stole the Senators' "Jason Spezza" version of "Barbra Streisand," adding yet another entry to the list of reasons why I want every Stars fan to get kicked in the dick.

Archived