NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

So every thread is becoming the politics thread?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rams80 said:

So when we get another lockout once this CBA is up because the owners want a 60/40 split, that's all on the players too, right?

I see you failed to comment on the actual topic and just created a complete hypothetical to help your case.   Please tell me how both lockout RESULTS hurt the growth of the NHL as an industry.  Can't wait to see the list!!

2 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I see you failed to comment on the actual topic and just created a complete hypothetical to help your case.   Please tell me how both lockout RESULTS hurt the growth of the NHL as an industry.  Can't wait to see the list!!

Let's see, the continuing uncertainty of actually having a content because of your league having 3 lockouts in a row means that instead of being on some really, really high revenue cable platform like ESPN you can only have Comcast as a partner. 

Said partner in turn also gives you rather limited network TV access, which further restricts the revenue the league could be making.

And, to put it mildly, anyone slightly plugged into hockey knows a lockout is coming.  I mean, players are signing deals with lockout protection for a reason.  http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/28/nhl-lockout-protection-payments-free-agent-player-contracts

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On February 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM, rams80 said:

Let's see, the continuing uncertainty of actually having a content because of your league having 3 lockouts in a row means that instead of being on some really, really high revenue cable platform like ESPN you can only have Comcast as a partner. 

Said partner in turn also gives you rather limited network TV access, which further restricts the revenue the league could be making.

And, to put it mildly, anyone slightly plugged into hockey knows a lockout is coming.  I mean, players are signing deals with lockout protection for a reason.  http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/28/nhl-lockout-protection-payments-free-agent-player-contracts

What makes ESPN better than the deal they have with NBC?  The Wednesday Night rivalry package has been huge for the NHL and NBC.  

Limited Network access?  NBC Shows games on the weekends, where ABC makes ESPN handle all of their broadcasts.

A lockout is coming in 2022?  You are blaming Bettman for a lockout 6 years in the making?

On February 5, 2016 at 10:16 AM, CreamSoda said:

What makes ESPN better than the deal they have with NBC?  The Wednesday Night rivalry package has been huge for the NHL and NBC.  

Let's see, ESPN has far greater market penetration due to the small, totally inconsiderable fact that THEY ARE ON BASIC CABLE EVERYWHERE AND HAVE BEEN FOR MOST OF BETTMAN'S TENURE.  Hell, even with the overall TV market trends, NBCSN still doesn't have the level of market penetration as ESPN-and that's with the fairly dramatic growth seen over the last few years.  (Which yeah, means that you still haven't repaired the exposure damage that came with losing ESPN in the early 2000s).

Limited Network access?  NBC Shows games on the weekends, where ABC makes ESPN handle all of their broadcasts.

You have Sunday afternoons.  That's not exactly prime TV real estate there if you aren't the NFL.  Which you aren't.

A lockout is coming in 2022?  You are blaming Bettman for a lockout 6 years in the making?

Somehow the NHL's (purported) peers among the major North American sports leagues have kept their labor :censored: together enough to not lose nearly the amount of playing time that the NHL has since Bettman took over.  The NBA's the worst off on that front, and they still haven't had to cancel a season yet.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Let's see, ESPN has far greater market penetration due to the small, totally inconsiderable fact that THEY ARE ON BASIC CABLE EVERYWHERE AND HAVE BEEN FOR MOST OF BETTMAN'S TENURE.  Hell, even with the overall TV market trends, NBCSN still doesn't have the level of market penetration as ESPN-and that's with the fairly dramatic growth seen over the last few years.  (Which yeah, means that you still haven't repaired the exposure damage that came with losing ESPN in the early 2000s).

You have Sunday afternoons.  That's not exactly prime TV real estate there if you aren't the NFL.  Which you aren't.

Somehow the NHL's (purported) peers among the major North American sports leagues have kept their labor :censored: together enough to not lose nearly the amount of playing time that the NHL has since Bettman took over.  The NBA's the worst off on that front, and they still haven't had to cancel a season yet.

You are making HUGE assumptions that ESPN would even show more than 1 game a week if they had the package.  Don't just assume the name ESPN is automatically better for the sport.  Having Sunday games and some primetime games on NBC is much better than nothing at all.

The NBA went to the same 50/50 cap as the NHL, the NBA players just accepted their fate quicker than the NHL did.  Move along, next irrational argument please.

Also, just adding here, the NBA's kind of kicking the NHL's ass on Wednesday.

http://sportstvratings.com/category/cable-tv-sports-ratings/daily-cable-tv-sports-ratings/

Today, we are all otaku.

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

The facts are the hockey revenue world is strong now, with the salary cap.  The 2004/05 Lockout is on the NHLPA for not working within that cap system.  

Revenue is so strong that the league is taking 18% off the top of every player's contract to put in escrow (which the players may never see) because you know the revenue is so strong...

4 minutes ago, tp49 said:

Revenue is so strong that the league is taking 18% off the top of every player's contract to put in escrow (which the players may never see) because you know the revenue is so strong...

You can blame the NHL or you can blame the faltering Canadian dollar for that.  

Your pick.  But of course you will go with the evil Gary Bettman.

Do you think this situation would be better if players still made 57% of HRR?  Please don't look at everything in a vacuum.  

17 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

You are making HUGE assumptions that ESPN would even show more than 1 game a week if they had the package.  Don't just assume the name ESPN is automatically better for the sport.  Having Sunday games and some primetime games on NBC is much better than nothing at all.

The NBA went to the same 50/50 cap as the NHL, the NBA players just accepted their fate quicker than the NHL did.  Move along, next irrational argument please.

The NBA players union kind of sucks at prepping for a lockout or arguing their case, but sure, if Kroenke Jr. wants you to say that the NHL players were irrational, I guess you can.  Everyone needs to eat.

Today, we are all otaku.

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

You can blame the NHL or you can blame the faltering Canadian dollar for that.  

Your pick.  But of course you will go with the evil Gary Bettman.

Do you think this situation would be better if players still made 57% of HRR?  Please don't look at everything in a vacuum.  

I don't think the situation would be worse, and we would have had more hockey.  Which makes the NHL look like a more reliable partner to TV networks.

Today, we are all otaku.

On February 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM, rams80 said:

The NBA players union kind of sucks at prepping for a lockout or arguing their case, but sure, if Kroenke Jr. wants you to say that the NHL players were irrational, I guess you can.  Everyone needs to eat.

So the NBA union sucks because they didn't cancel a season by agreeing to the unavoidable outcome...

But the NHLPA is great because they wasted a whole season and half of another...  Got it.  MOD EDIT

On February 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM, rams80 said:

I don't think the situation would be worse, and we would have had more hockey.  Which makes the NHL look like a more reliable partner to TV networks.

I am done responding to you. MOD EDIT 

On February 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM, CreamSoda said:

But the NHLPA is great because they wasted a whole season and half of another...  Got it.  Do you hear yourself talk?

Yes, I think he does. There is a difference between a strike and a lockout. Those poor, humble, sacred owners that you revere so much were the ones that locked out the players. 

On February 5, 2016 at 10:56 AM, CreamSoda said:

I am done responding to you. MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

On February 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM, CreamSoda said:

So the NBA union sucks because they didn't cancel a season by agreeing to the unavoidable outcome...

But the NHLPA is great because they wasted a whole season and half of another...  Got it.  MOD EDIT

The purpose of a union is to advocate in the interests of its membership.  That includes fighting as long as you can to avoid an outcome that takes money away from your membership, even if that outcome is "inevitable."  Especially when you've been locked out by ownership.

So yeah, the fact that the NBPA lost rather quickly is indicative that it sucks at its core mission.

Today, we are all otaku.

On February 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM, teddthebucfan said:

Yes, I think he does. There is a difference between a strike and a lockout. Those poor, humble, sacred owners that you revere so much were the ones that locked out the players. 

MOD EDIT

Tell me, was the NBA a lockout or strike?!!?  MOD EDIT

I have yet to hear one single reason why BETTMAN is bad for the NHL.  Its all just blind hate for no reason.

5 minutes ago, rams80 said:

The purpose of a union is to advocate in the interests of its membership.  That includes fighting as long as you can to avoid an outcome that takes money away from your membership, even if that outcome is "inevitable."  Especially when you've been locked out by ownership.

So yeah, the fact that the NBPA lost rather quickly is indicative that it sucks at its core mission.

But according to you, the NHL is evil for cancelling the season.  Where does the role of the NHLPA come into play?

Are they given a free pass for waiting out the season when they easily could have settled and started playing hockey.  You think the NHL and Bettman are to blame for the cancelled season and lockouts yet you fail to see there are TWO SIDES to this CBA.

On February 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM, CreamSoda said:

But according to you, the NHL is evil for cancelling the season.  Where does the role of the NHLPA come into play?

Are they given a free pass for waiting out the season when they easily could have settled and started playing hockey.

MOD EDIT

Lockout (noun): the withholding of employment by an employer and the whole or partial closing of the business establishment in order to gain concessions from or resist demands of employees

Ownership (and by extension, Bettman) initiates these work stoppages.

Today, we are all otaku.

On February 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM, rams80 said:

MOD EDIT

Lockout (noun): the withholding of employment by an employer and the whole or partial closing of the business establishment in order to gain concessions from or resist demands of employees

Ownership (and by extension, Bettman) initiates these work stoppages.

MOD EDIT

Can you show me where the NHLPA comes into play?  Or are they blameless.

Archived