NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

I hate Bettman for a few reasons:

1. He keeps a team in a market that doesn't want a team.

2. He wants to add another team with the same predictement

3. He's caused 3 lockouts in his time with the league

4. TSN has made fun of him with a character referred to as "Gerry Bettman". Nuff Said.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On February 5, 2016 at 0:29 PM, CreamSoda said:

MOD EDIT

You mean Player's agent drawing up stupid "unaffordable" contracts.

Is it impossible for you to admit the players are equally at fault for the lost games?

I must have missed the part where contract negotiations involve the player's agent holding the GM and owner at gunpoint until they sign the contract.  Basic business principles indicate that those latter parties have a lot of say in how a contract is drawn up.

And I don't begrudge anyone to fight to hold on to what they previously had.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I must have missed the part where contract negotiations involve the player's agent holding the GM and owner at gunpoint until they sign the contract.  Basic business principles indicate that those latter parties have a lot of say in how a contract is drawn up.

And I don't begrudge anyone to fight to hold on to what they previously had.

Please, agents are the lawyers who find the loopholes to create those contracts.  Why do you think max length and cap circumvention are a thing now...

So you don't begrudge anyone for holding onto what they previously had?  But its ok to cancel a season to end up with less?

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Please, agents are the lawyers who find the loopholes to create those contracts.  Why do you think max length and cap circumvention are a thing now...

And the reason you don't think the owners and GMs have access to the same (if not better) legal representation is....

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

So you don't begrudge anyone for holding onto what they previously had?  But its ok to cancel a season to end up with less?

You have a right to defend yourself.  The players didn't initiate the lockout.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have several lines in the sand, and one of them is to always take the players' side in a pro sports dispute. 30 guys making the same 50% (or more) of league proceeds as however many hundreds of players do seems nefarious to me, no matter the financial circumstances. 

Also, I was an NHL fan, but stopped watching because of lockouts, not being able to see games on ESPN, and not understanding division alignments, or the basic rules of the game anymore. The NHL exists in the wind for me, because I don't see it on TV, barely see it discussed in mainstream sports journalism, and when I do, it's about something dumb the league has done. Revenues may be up, but for once-casual fans like me, it's likability is way down.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On February 5, 2016 at 0:55 PM, rams80 said:

And the reason you don't think the owners and GMs have access to the same (if not better) legal representation is....

You have a right to defend yourself.  The players didn't initiate the lockout.

Hey!  Now you are getting at why we had a lockout!  MOD EDIT  The NHL's lawyers had to create a CBA that ensured future growth of the league.

You are 100% right, they didn't initiate it. They prolonged it, causing them to lose a season and a half.

On February 5, 2016 at 0:57 PM, CreamSoda said:

Hey!  Now you are getting at why we had a lockout!  MOD EDIT  The NHL's lawyers had to create a CBA that ensured future growth of the league.

You are 100% right, they didn't initiate it. They prolonged it, causing them to lose a season and a half.

Then they had to create a second because it wasn't growing enough or stop them from signing stupid contracts.

Then they had to create a third because it STILL wasn't growing enough or stop them from signing stupid contracts.

And in a few years they will have to create a fourth, after another lockout, because the league still isn't growing enough and yup, stupid contracts are still being signed.

Today, we are all otaku.

Just now, rams80 said:

Then they had to create a second because it wasn't growing enough or stop them from signing stupid contracts.

Then they had to create a third because it STILL wasn't growing enough or stop them from signing stupid contracts.

And in a few years they will have to create a fourth, after another lockout, because the league still isn't growing enough and yup, stupid contracts are still being signed.

100% blame goes to Bettman!!

That evil evil man!

Just now, CreamSoda said:

100% blame goes to Bettman!!

That evil evil man!

Bettman does seem to see "lockout" as step 1 of any negotiating strategy on his part.

Today, we are all otaku.

On February 5, 2016 at 11:49 AM, CreamSoda said:

MOD EDIT  I never said Saint owners, I agreed both sides are greedy.

You are the one living in a dream world where the players are blamless and the NHL is the greedy angry boss forcing them to work long hours with no pay.

MOD EDIT

So the personal attacks end, NOW.

Let's move on.

Just now, CreamSoda said:

Where was this when my job, career and mind was personally attacked??

1) You've attacked enough people's "minds" yourself.

2) That "no more personal attacks" post was directed at EVERYONE. Not just you.

3) Move. On.

To be perfectly fair, I don't think the league's deal with ESPN was all that great. There's an old blog post here that goes into how Disney basically screwed FOX over for the cable rights, then basically ignored the league, especially after they got the NBA's cable rights in 2002, until they pulled out after the 2004-05 lockout:
https://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/okay-lets-talk-about-this-like-adults-how-espn-nearly-destroyed-the-nhl-on-tv-or-why-the-nhl-should-never-go-back-to-espn/

18 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

To be perfectly fair, I don't think the league's deal with ESPN was all that great. There's an old blog post here that goes into how Disney basically screwed FOX over for the cable rights, then basically ignored the league, especially after they got the NBA's cable rights in 2002, until they pulled out after the 2004-05 lockout:
https://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/okay-lets-talk-about-this-like-adults-how-espn-nearly-destroyed-the-nhl-on-tv-or-why-the-nhl-should-never-go-back-to-espn/

I've read that the proposed ESPN NHL deal was bogus for the league, and would paid out a pittance. That's a shame, but people would have at least been able to watch the games. Outside of the random NHL on NBC game, I have no idea how to watch NHL hockey. Regional networks? NBC Sports? TruTV?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I've read that the proposed ESPN NHL deal was bogus for the league, and would paid out a pittance. That's a shame, but people would have at least been able to watch the games. Outside of the random NHL on NBC game, I have no idea how to watch NHL hockey. Regional networks? NBC Sports? TruTV?

Most nights, NBCSN usually airs at least one NHL game.  However, I would imagine that a lot of NHL games are on regional networks.  I know down here that about 65%-80%

of Caps games are on the regional network.

spacer.png

Archived