the admiral

NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

20160209_180714.jpg

1455059889560.jpg

6 hours ago, NJTank said:

Wow if this deal does not work the Leafs will be irrelevant until their next 100th anniversary

Yeah, unloading over $7 million to help with a rebuilding process is really going to set them back :rolleyes: 

20160209_191537.jpg

59 minutes ago, NJTank said:

20160209_191537.jpg

That's really cool, man. Really neat that you were able to see an awesome moment in person!  That's also a good picture. 

I'm as big a white/home, color/road enthusiast as anyone here, but jeez is it backwards when the Kings wear their gold throwbacks, which were used at home during the white/home era in the same way as the Lakers always wearing gold at home, as their color jersey on the road. It makes no sense. And I know this isn't the first time this has happened (and it's not as if the Lakers wearing gold on the road, in Boston no less, never happens either), but that doesn't exactly make it any better. Wear purple throwbacks or just wear your regular set, you guys.

Earlier I gave a non salute for Dion leaving town in honour of his non salute last season which we never asked for.  

lols Senators  

Joel Quenneville had channeled Cam Newton and abruptly left the post game press conference tonight. Cam isn't the first football player Quenneville has copied, remember Beast Mode in the 2014 playoffs?

Tough break for the Hawks tonight, but it feels good to see them put up a donut vs the Sharks. 

Joonas Korpisalo has become a nice little oasis in the Blue Jackets' desert of sadness. 6-1-2 in last 9 starts. 

5 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Joel Quenneville had channeled Cam Newton and abruptly left the post game press conference tonight.

Probably mad that yet another goal got washed out after further review on an iPhone.

12 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

That's really cool, man. Really neat that you were able to see an awesome moment in person!  That's also a good picture. 

One of my favorite parts was booing Bettman. Then Gary Bettman spoke for like 5 minutes and was jeered throughout. A few minutes later Lou Lamorello spoke and fans greeted him with the Lou chant, and Lou said Commissioner that is not the same response you had.

I think San Jose has improved pretty well defensively and if they can secure another bottom four defenseman before the trade deadline, I'm much more confident that can continue their fine streak of second round playoff losses. 

On 2/9/2016 at 10:27 AM, Crabcake47 said:

I know it's a little late to call them "midseason" awards but I'm kind of bored so here goes.

CRABCAKE47'S SORTA-MIDSEASON NHL AWARDS

Norris: Erik Karlsson, OTT - Erik Karlsson is third in the NHL in points.  That's insane.  He is almost single-handedly keeping a very mediocre Ottawa team in the playoff picture, and, let's face it, the Norris almost always goes to the best offensive D-man in the league.  This year, that's Erik Karlsson.  Runners-up: John Klingberg, DAL; Ryan Suter, MIN

I'm honestly just tired of the narrative where if you get a ton of points as a defenceman you should win the Norris. If you are gonna be called THE BEST DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL, you should be at least in the top 10 best defencemen defensively. I do not care at all how many points Karlsson can get, he's not even close to being one of the best defencemen in the league. And Suter? Really? The nominees should be Doughty, Burns & Karlsson (solely because there's no way he should be voted in). And if people want to keep voting him in for an award he doesn't deserve than create the Bobby Orr Award for most points by a defenceman and leave the Norris to actual good defencemen.

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I'm honestly just tired of the narrative where if you get a ton of points as a defenceman you should win the Norris. If you are gonna be called THE BEST DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL, you should be at least in the top 10 best defencemen defensively. I do not care at all how many points Karlsson can get, he's not even close to being one of the best defencemen in the league. And Suter? Really? The nominees should be Doughty, Burns & Karlsson (solely because there's no way he should be voted in). And if people want to keep voting him in for an award he doesn't deserve than create the Bobby Orr Award for most points by a defenceman and leave the Norris to actual good defencemen.

Not sure what your criteria for "the best defenseman is", but I know Karlsson is one of if not the best d-man in the game for cutting the amount of the opponent's scoring chances and taking the puck out of the defensive zone. Of course he can generate offense, but his defensive game has developed massively since his first seasons. He is a fantastic backchecker and can disrupt the play in his own end or neutral zone. He's crucial for the teams defensive success and always has a massively positive effect. And now he's in the best season of his career, offensively on the level of what no one's done since the 90's.

Not to mention the Norris is for "the best all round defensive player in the league", which I think even you could say he's at least top 10 in that. The argument that he's not Norris worthy because he's a defensive liability had merit a few years ago, but it's just not working this season.

3JuZxIM.png

Also, for that narrative, only 8 out of the last 20 Norris trophies have gone to the player that lead defenseman in points: Coffey, Leetch, MacInnis, Lidstrom, Karlsson, and Subban (Lidstrom and Karlsson twice). There's a few Norris quality defensemen on that list.

Karlsson is only ever put on in offensive situations and he almost never plays on the PK, that's why his stats only look the way they do. He also isn't in any way a "well-rounded player" as you say. He isn't good defensively. The points you brought up are just not true. Sure he can bring the puck out himself, but breaking it out is not a skill he possesses. People keep saying the award goes to the most well-rounded defenceman, but we all know that's a lie, otherwise Karlsson would have never won it in the first place. He shouldn't have even been close last year.

37 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Karlsson is only ever put on in offensive situations and he almost never plays on the PK, that's why his stats only look the way they do. He also isn't in any way a "well-rounded player" as you say. He isn't good defensively. The points you brought up are just not true. Sure he can bring the puck out himself, but breaking it out is not a skill he possesses. People keep saying the award goes to the most well-rounded defenceman, but we all know that's a lie, otherwise Karlsson would have never won it in the first place. He shouldn't have even been close last year.

Karlsson has started in the defensive zone 45% of the time in each of the last three seasons, and 75% defensive zone starts on the penalty kill, which he certainly does play minutes on every game.

Here's him in a defensive situation, with a takeaway and taking it in to the offensive zone, resulting in a goal. 

Not sure where you're getting the idea that he can't break it out, he's one of the elite passers in the league. It get's cut off at the beginning but this goal was created by Karlsson, who was on for the penalty kill, then when Zibanejad comes out of the box he lays a perfect pass that results in a 2 on 1 and a goal. You can also watch this and count how many times he starts or leads the break out.

Basically what you're telling me is you don't watch any games with Karlsson and you're relying on a 5 year old narrative for your argument. I'm even not saying he's the absolute best defenseman in the league, but he is absolutely having a Norris quality season.

How on earth do you discard Erik Karlsson's defensive acumen in a Norris discussion and then turn around and tout Brent Burns for the same award when his best defensive quality is "outstanding point man on the power play"? Jeez. Try to be at least a little consistent, alright? (To point it out - Burns has 44 points (18+26) total, and 19 are on the PP. Karlsson also has 19 points on the PP (1+18), but he's posted 59 points. 43% of Burns' output comes a man up. Karlsson also plays about ~2:30 more per game. Karlsson also plays for a weaker team. I actually like Brent Burns but holy inconsistencies of argument.)

While we're at it, though, on Karlsson - I don't get around to many Senators games in any particular depth; one thing I noticed on Monday against Tampa Bay was Karlsson so very clearly cherry-picking after leaving the penalty box (in what was a 4v4 before he exited). Does Karlsson have any history of cherry-picking out of the penalty box? And I'm not saying this in a way to criticize him, but it was so painfully obvious to me what he was doing that night and leaves me curious, because I don't have the resource (at the moment) and I sure as hell don't have the time to look into that.

13 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

While we're at it, though, on Karlsson - I don't get around to many Senators games in any particular depth; one thing I noticed on Monday against Tampa Bay was Karlsson so very clearly cherry-picking after leaving the penalty box (in what was a 4v4 before he exited). Does Karlsson have any history of cherry-picking out of the penalty box? And I'm not saying this in a way to criticize him, but it was so painfully obvious to me what he was doing that night and leaves me curious, because I don't have the resource (at the moment) and I sure as hell don't have the time to look into that.

I went back on GCL and watched the play. It took him about 7/8 seconds from the time the penalty ended to him entering the frame in the defensive zone, so he definitely was slow in getting back. By the time he did get back Wiercioch had already won the puck battle behind the net so he probably didn't think he needed to go back in too deep.

I certainly don't notice that too often, however it is one of his weaknesses that he's always ready for offense which sometimes results in him staying out closer to the centre of the ice when there's a puck battle or play along the boards. However it did look like Stamkos went to mark Karlsson leaving Zibanejad open for a rush on the powerplay. I think if it was him getting back from a 5 on 4, and not getting out of the box and stepping into a power play, it might have been different.