NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

I personally want to see the Red Wings make the Playoffs for the 25th time in a row. It's not often you get to see that. But after that, it doesn't matter to me. If they were at 49, 74, or 99 seasons in a row, I'd want them to to make it the next year just because it's cool. Now those will probably never happen, but you get my point... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I personally want to see the Red Wings make the Playoffs for the 25th time in a row. It's not often you get to see that. But after that, it doesn't matter to me. If they were at 49, 74, or 99 seasons in a row, I'd want them to to make it the next year just because it's cool. Now those will probably never happen, but you get my point... 

It's been done. The Blues once made the playoffs 25 years in a row and had the decency never to win a Stanley Cup. F*** Detroit. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

If expansion occurs (and I hope it does), I would like to see it televised like they did in the past. 

I wouldn't worry about an expansion team taking any popular player from your team, especially if they are a free agent. If you look at past expansion drafts, guys like Mike Richter were taken from their respected teams only to return as a free agent or being traded back to their team for draft picks. That would be the route I would take as an expansion team with the mindset to build through the draft and not high priced veterans.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

28 minutes ago, worcat said:

If expansion occurs (and I hope it does), I would like to see it televised like they did in the past. 

I wouldn't worry about an expansion team taking any popular player from your team, especially if they are a free agent. If you look at past expansion drafts, guys like Mike Richter were taken from their respected teams only to return as a free agent or being traded back to their team for draft picks. That would be the route I would take as an expansion team with the mindset to build through the draft and not high priced veterans.

I'm really hoping to see expansion too. The whole process of expansion is fascinating and exciting to me. Expansion and expansion drafts are essentially sports geek heaven. 

spacer.png

On 17/03/2016 at 9:24 PM, Cosmic said:

I hope the new equipment looks like this. ^^^

Spot on.  It's no secret that one of goalie's biggest complaint is 'messing with history' by not enabling them to rack up Brodeur like numbers, when we all know most starters today couldn't hold a candle to Marty in his prime.  

Goalies haven't a leg to stand on no pun intended- it's either cull the equipment waste or make the nets larger.  Their move.  Besides, they shouldn't fret a loss of earning power with 'poorer' goalie stats- not when the NHL as a whole would become a whole lot more attractive re. more revenues to spread around, thus negating goaltenders' empty myopic argument.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

12 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Spot on.  It's no secret that one of goalie's biggest complaint is 'messing with history' by not enabling them to rack up Brodeur like numbers, when we all know most starters today couldn't hold a candle to Marty in his prime.  

Goalies haven't a leg to stand on no pun intended- it's either cull the equipment waste or make the nets larger.  Their move.  Besides, they shouldn't fret a loss of earning power with 'poorer' goalie stats- not when the NHL as a whole would become a whole lot more attractive re. more revenues to spread around, thus negating goaltenders' empty myopic argument.

It will be like what happened to defensemen when they actually started calling obstruction penalties after the lost season lockout... there were a few guys that were exposed as simply being too slow, but most everyone adapted.  The goalies will look worse as a group, but the field will be fair to everyone.  If the goalies can still post 2.00 GAAs with those new pads, I won't even mind.  I'll feel like they really earned it.

The main reason why I'm an advocate for increasing the size of the goal is for two main reasons:

1. The goalies themselves are a lot bigger, even before padding.  In fact, all the players are bigger.

2. Today's goalies are a lot more skilled than the goalies of before.  They're bigger guys that are more flexible and better at techniques and more efficient in their moving around than the goalies of old.

Shrinking the equipment is a nice start.  Expanding the nets...even if it's just a couple inches up and out...would do much more for offense.

15 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The main reason why I'm an advocate for increasing the size of the goal is for two main reasons:

1. The goalies themselves are a lot bigger, even before padding.  In fact, all the players are bigger.

2. Today's goalies are a lot more skilled than the goalies of before.  They're bigger guys that are more flexible and better at techniques and more efficient in their moving around than the goalies of old.

Shrinking the equipment is a nice start.  Expanding the nets...even if it's just a couple inches up and out...would do much more for offense.

Yes, we DEFINITELY need more scoring so hockey games are more like basketball or football. Because a close one goal game just isn't as exciting as a 102-79 basketball game...  FACT. Right there... :rolleyes:

That's what drives me nuts. People say hockey isn't exciting enough, because they don't score that often... So that means an OT game isn't exciting as a blowout in basketball??? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

Yes, we DEFINITELY need more scoring so hockey games are more like basketball or football. Because a close one goal game just isn't as exciting as a 102-79 basketball game...  FACT. Right there... :rolleyes:

That's what drives me nuts. People say hockey isn't exciting enough, because they don't score that often... So that means an OT game isn't exciting as a blowout in basketball??? 

Come off the ledge, Mr. Overreaction.

Look at things logically as well as with the eye test.  Today's NHL, throughout the roster and as a whole, is a lot more skilled and talented than the 80's and early 90's NHL.  Today's players are a lot faster.  Today's players are a lot bigger.  That's not an opinion...that's a fact.  Yet, scoring is way down and scoring chances are down.

The way the game has evolved hasn't done so for the benefit of the fan.  Factor in bigger players, more skilled players, vastly superior talented goalies, defensive systems, and now the willingness to get down on the ice to block shots.....it's a lot more difficult to score now.  Hockey fans will watch the game no matter how it's presented.  But many are starting to recognize that something needs to change now before the game gets stagnant like the late 90's and early 2000's.

The lone constants have been the rink size and the goal size.  Since most arenas simply can't be retrofitted to expand the rink size, it is about time that the goal size adjusts to inflation as the size of the players have.  What else can be done to better the game and bring more excitement back?

We've messed with the goalie equipment.  We've eliminated the two-line pass.  We've tried enforcing interference/obstruction penalties.  We've gotten rid of stick restrictions and eased crease restrictions.  That worked for about two seasons, then offense got snuffed out again.

Do we go back to serving the full length of 2-minute penalties instead of ending power plays after a goal is scored?

Do we force the penalty killers to possess the puck until they leave their defensive zone before they can clear the puck down the length of the ice?

Do we abolish leaving your feet to block a shot?

Do we ban zone defenses?

Do we alter offensive zone sizes?

If the lone defense for not expanding the goal size is "because tradition", that's simply not a good enough reason.  No one's calling for soccer-sized nets....just expanding an inch or two upward and/or outward.  A couple inches isn't going to turn a 3-2 game to a 10-9 game.

2 hours ago, Kaz said:

Hockey's problem is the play-to-not-lose mentality that stems from their idiotic points system, not goalie equipment and goal sizes.  I could see that factoring into why regular season games can be a dud to watch, but come playoffs that all goes out the window and becomes arguably the most exciting sport to watch in the postseason.

Spot on

spacer.png

I dont know if I said it here or just elsewhere, but.

I am a HUGE fan of having players serve the full two minutes of the penalty. Scoring will increase, plus players will be less inclined to commit penalties, knowing theyre out for the full two no matter what.

Related ideas

When a team scores on a delayed penalty, make the penalty still need to be served.

For fights and the like, play 4v4 for the five minutes, rather than still 5v5 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Non-hockey fans ("I can't see the puck") gain appreciation for hockey by recognition of role of the goalie. 

Anything to exhibit the goaltender's athleticism is a much better idea than raising the height of the crossbar (which would definitely lead to some gruesome injuries).

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Do we go back to serving the full length of 2-minute penalties instead of ending power plays after a goal is scored?

Do we force the penalty killers to possess the puck until they leave their defensive zone before they can clear the puck down the length of the ice?

Do we abolish leaving your feet to block a shot?

Do we ban zone defenses?

Do we alter offensive zone sizes?

If the lone defense for not expanding the goal size is "because tradition", that's simply not a good enough reason.  No one's calling for soccer-sized nets....just expanding an inch or two upward and/or outward.  A couple inches isn't going to turn a 3-2 game to a 10-9 game.

Here's what I would do:

- Don't let penalty killers ice the puck.  I don't understand why you're allowed to break a rule because you're being punished for breaking a different rule.

- Reduce the goalie equipment, but wait on the nets for a couple of years.  I think it would be good to change that kind of stuff slowly.  I think the goalie equipment will have a noticeable impact, if they're serious about it.

- Allow kicking the puck in.  I don't want to see soccer out there, but I don't think it will come to that.  It gets rid of stupid "distinct kicking motion" BS to argue about.

- Stop taking goals off the board because a guy was an inch offside.  Get rid of the coach's challenge; a timeout lost is not a significant enough deterrent to limit challenges.  Have some oversight from Toronto to stop the couple of crazy goals where a guy is 15 feet offside and the linesman misses it.

- Fix the "Carey Price Rule".  Goalies shouldn't be able to initiate contact and have a goal waved off for it.

- I would say "call obstruction", but I don't think they have the heart to stick to it.  I'm sick of seeing a guy hacked to death on a breakaway, only to have the announcer complement the "good defense".

43 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

- Allow kicking the puck in.  I don't want to see soccer out there, but I don't think it will come to that.  It gets rid of stupid "distinct kicking motion" BS to argue about.

Isn't this a player safety issue? Getting accidentally kicked by a guy wearing blades on his feet would suck.

1 minute ago, cmm said:

Isn't this a player safety issue? Getting accidentally kicked by a guy wearing blades on his feet would suck.

Really don't think this would be an issue with kicking the puck. Hockey blades are very sharp, but they're not chainsaws or anything.  You might have an occasional issue with someone getting stepped on, but you already have that.  I think most kicks would be more of a sweep off the inside of the boot/blade.  I doubt you'd have anyone doing karate trying to kick a knee-high or waist-high puck.

I don't see how anyone can argue that players are more talented now then they were 20 years ago. Sure some rules have changed but it's not like the human species has evolved and prevented players from being able to score. That's ridiculous. Only thing I would say the players have an advantage now with is medicine and conditioning and neither of those are helping them increase offense.

I don't want to see historical records be destroyed so we can increase scoring to bring in a few new fans while the traditional fans are sh!t on. Goaltenders gear is greatly smaller than it was in the 80's and guys like Hull, Gretzky etc were still able to score 60+ goals with a problem. Nets don't need to be altered. They need to just let the players play the game and not call penalties on every little infraction. The game is alot softer now than it was even 5 years ago. You look at someone the wrong way and you get a penalty. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived