NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

^^^ What? Oh, come on. Stop it now....

---

Ducks win their 23rd in a row over CalGary in Anaheim to tie a NHL record (Flyers over Penguins from 1980-87) (Flames havent won in Anaheim since January 19, 2004) and move back into first in the Pacific over the Kings with 6 games remaining. (Ducks @ Kings, Thurs, April 7)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RaginRonic said:

I guess this means, as of Wed. Mar. 30, 2016, Canada's relevancy in the NHL is dead. And this is all due to Gary Bettman making constant changes to the league's financial model to stop the NHL teams in Canada from ever winning the Cup again.

To him, having NHL teams in Canada is only seen as a token gesture to us, to keep our mouths shut.

To Gary, the teams here are only to be treated as a pro 'farm system' for the teams in the U.S. And he punishes all fans of Canada's teams for being that...fans of Canada's teams.

Gary is nothing more, to me, than a snivelling coward, just like Donald Trump. But, let's face facts, American financial conservatives, like him, buy the ability to escape punishment for unfair treatment of non-American collectives. It's his way to stay in power till he dies in office.

And he also won't permit the one who takes office after his death to let Canada's teams back into the Cup conversation. That his business model must stay in place, unchanged, long after he's gone.

It's time for him to be forced from power, by any means necessary. And he can take that bald idiot, Bill Daly, to Hell with him. > = (

Schizophrenia.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

28 minutes ago, RaginRonic said:

Uh, no, Rams80...it all reeks to me of institutionalized Anti-Canadian corporate fascism at the NHL HQ in New York. > = (

How did the next big superstar end up on of the least sexiest markets(in Canada) and most incompetently run team?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

6 hours ago, RaginRonic said:

Uh, no, Rams80...it all reeks to me of institutionalized Anti-Canadian corporate fascism at the NHL HQ in New York. > = (

youkeepusingthatword_zpsafb87bfd.jpg

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

31 minutes ago, rams80 said:

youkeepusingthatword_zpsafb87bfd.jpg

Yea, I think the word RaginRonic was looking for was 'sanctimonious.'

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

32 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

Yea, I think the word RaginRonic was looking for was 'sanctimonious.'

A lot of your fellow fans kind of suck.  A lot of your fellow fans on Hfboards REALLY suck.  Deal with it and hate them.

Today, we are all otaku.

No...I'm just a fan of all 7 of Canada's NHL teams being forced to pay the bills for the whole league, and get no championship in return.

To me, the way that Gary treats the fans of Canada's NHL teams, is kind of like how an alcoholic husband treats his family, when he's been pushed to anger while drunk.

And, personally, I'm fed up with Gary beating us in Canada up every year, and committing psychological abuse and torture, like the scumbag he is.

> = (

That all seven teams (7.5 if you include Buffalo) missed the playoffs doesn't mean the NHL mistreats Canada. The NHL does mistreat Canada, of course, but this year's on-ice performance has nothing to do with it. Canadian teams have had great seasons while financing low-revenue, Canadian teams have had terrible seasons while financing low-revenue teams. This year is just an aberration. Chill.

I do have a problem with the way beating up on Canadian teams/fans is very much in style right now. It's worthless snark.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would be curious as to whether others have a take on the relationship between Bettman and the State of the Seven.  There certainly is no love for Bettman on these boards, but I don't feel like that has had a lot to do with the (perceived?) lack of success of the Canadian teams.  

As pointed out, five of them were in the playoffs last year, but we are on nearly 25 years since the last Cup win.  So are Canadian teams less competitive?  If so, why?  Basic economics?  Or, as, Ragin insists, and admiral alludes to, is Bettman/NHL participating in that?

I recall when Sidney Crosby was coming out that Barry Melrose said the NHL needed to try to get him on a team like the Rangers.  He ended up in Pittsburgh, an American team with some notoriety, but not an American Original 6 team. Last year, the rules dictated that Buffalo would get one of the two top prizes.  You'd think the NHL may have an interest in making sure the other one goes to a "key" market.  Or at least to a US team.  McDavid ended up in a non-key, non-US market.  So if the fix in in on Canada, it seems a couple of key opportunities have been missed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 hours ago, RaginRonic said:

And this is all due to Gary Bettman making constant changes to the league's financial model to stop the NHL teams in Canada from ever winning the Cup again.

Yeah. Its Bettman's fault.

You know I stubbed my toe the other day. I blame Bettman for that.

My mother-in-law is coming to stay with us this weekend. That was because of Bettman

It rained yesterday after I was planning on going out. Damn you Bettman.

If it wasn't for Bettman, there would no poverty. There would be no wars. There would be no disease and death.

Its all Bettmans fault.

The Catch of the Day!

Edmonton's won 4 draft lotteries in recent years (including twice when they didn't have the best odds) which is proof enough there's no anti-Canadian movement within the league offices. If you want to throw blame around you can place it squarely on the born and raised Canadian players who keep choosing not to sign with Canadian teams.

Some math and you can check me on this because it could be wrong - Canada won every year from 1984 through 1990. At that time 7 out of 21 teams were based in Canada. In 1992 Ottawa made it 8, but since then only one Canadian team has won out of the last 24 and Quebec and Winnipeg moved south of the border to place the number at 6 until 2011. So there is a drought which will grow this year, but Canada has still won 7 out of the last 30 Stanley Cups, which is pretty close to proportionate. 

We expanded to 30 in 2000 and had 6 Canadian teams during the majority of that time so in theory a Canadian team should win once every five years. Clearly that hasn't happened, but I think it's more bad luck than any sort of evil conspiracy against an entire country. Again, you had 5 teams in the playoffs last year. At some point the tide will turn back again and the Canadian clubs will start putting together another 84-90 like run. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

As pointed out, five of them were in the playoffs last year, but we are on nearly 25 years since the last Cup win.  So are Canadian teams less competitive?  If so, why?  Basic economics?  Or, as, Ragin insists, and admiral alludes to, is Bettman/NHL participating in that?

Canadian teams suffer because they can't attract elite talent (who themselves are usually Canadian) in trades or free agency. This is because Canadians are by and large big dumb cowards who talk a big game about their country when it's time to hound gash at the Olympic Village but don't want to pay too much in taxes. At the same time, Canadian teams are under higher pressure to perform than their American counterparts. The end result is some form of poor roster construction, whether it's desperately flailing in Vancouver or overrelying on one player because you can't get anyone else in Montreal. Southern teams operate at huge built-in advantages because, like Winnipeg, they can build through the draft with time and trust, but unlike Winnipeg, can get people to play there without fear of no-trade clauses or bitchy wives they just cheat on anyway. Obviously, not all warm-weather teams make the most of their favorable circumstances, because look at the Hurricanes missing the playoffs nine of the last ten seasons, but compared to what Canadian teams have to deal with in terms of revenue-sharing demands, dollar fluctuation, and Canadians who won't play in Canada, teams like Dallas and Anaheim are playing the video game of life on easy mode.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some of this just described my feelings as a Timberwolves fan. 

This all seems like a function of circumstance more than the NHL screwing them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

Some of this just described my feelings as a Timberwolves fan. 

This all seems like a function of circumstance more than the NHL screwing them.

Exactly.

And plain old bad luck when teams do get close:

2004 - Flames lose back-to-back coin toss games to lose the finals in 7. 

2006 - Oilers lose hot goaltender in game 1, lose game 1 on a fluky goal caused by 3rd string goaltender, lose coin toss game 7.

2007 - The Senators were really good, but so was Anaheim and Ottawa just didn't show for the Finals, particularly Ray Emery.

2011 - The Canucks are a little bit complicated. They won the president's trophy and were the best team that whole year, but they played that entire playoffs nervous. They played the whole as though they were playing not to lose, which is how Chicago came back from 3-0 in the first round. I don't put that on Canada putting extra pressure on them though. That was that team's own mental ineptness. I don't recall the rest of the country being behind them anyways because that group was pretty easily detestable. Then they actually had the finals in control until Aaron Rome decided to kill Nathan Horton and that galvanized Boston. It was a bulldozing thereafter with Vancouver squeezing out one overtime victory. 

2014 - Montreal went through a brutally tough series in the second round against Boston and that pretty much ended their energy for the conference finals against new York. If they'd gotten a draw where they didn't have to play their arch rival in the second round they maybe could've had a better shot. 

2015 - had 5 teams in the playoffs, but 4 of them played each other in the first round due to the divisional system so it sort of cannabalized their chances. 

04, 06, 11 were their best chances and they lost 3 coin tosses. These things are cyclical and it wouldn't be weird to me if we're here in a decade discussing why the American teams can't get over the hump. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, rams80 said:

A lot of your fellow fans kind of suck.  A lot of your fellow fans on Hfboards REALLY suck.  Deal with it and hate them.

Oh well see there's your problem right there. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I do have a problem with the way beating up on Canadian teams/fans is very much in style right now. It's worthless snark.

Snark, like many things in life, is best practiced in moderation. The best practitioners use a light touch. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived