Cleveland Browns Brown Uniform

Elfman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are certainly exceptions, basically tied to heraldry and colors vs metals, etc.. So, yes, silver, grey, gold, yellow all work (raiders, saints, rams), but white is a failsafe option if there's ever any doubt.. Can't go wrong with white.. You can DEFINITELY go wrong with some other colors though..

The Bears wear those throwbacks one, twice a season. Not the same thing as a look meant to be worn for half the season.

it does propose the same problem. coaches have to review tape of those 1 or 2 Bears games too.

Do the Bears' coaches have the same issue?

hqdefault.jpgChicago-Bears-1940s-Throwback-Uniform.jp

I can totally see those Bears unis being an issue, but if anything the Browns' uniforms should be worse - the Browns break up their colors with white highlights. That means, on quick glance, the eye will pick out the white rather than the orange.

Plus blue and orange are color compliments... meaning they are opposite on a color wheel...

color-relations.jpg

There is actually a very high contrast between those colors... your eye will naturally try to separate them.

Orange and brown, on the other hand...

small%20orange%20value%20chart.jpg

...are separated mostly by only saturation. They are more or less only a difference of value. You can usually make a pretty decent brown by mixing black into orange. So, your eye just doesn't make that kind of contrast jump.

Basic color theory. I'm sure Nike's designers had to take that course at some point.

the difference between brown and navy from the All 22 angle wouldn't be anything significant, so a complimentary color palette vs a monochrome palette isn't really where we need to look for diagnosis here (you can also make complimentaries vibrate as with the Gulf Racing livery).

i think from the coach's perspective, it is more important to look at contrast in color value. it's not that changing value can't work, it's about where the 2 colors fall on the value scale. the Browns' orange is brighter, more saturated so you have more contrast there on the value scale than with the Bears' orange/navy jersey. also, with the addition of white, i'm confident the Browns have a more legible jersey number than the Bears throwback. plus, the Bears don't have TV numbers either. not saying either are easily legible from All 22 perspective.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If they had a true white outline, then I think I'd agree with you. But the partial white drop-shadow actually makes the numbers less legible - your eye is drawn to the white shape, itself not enough to differentiate the numbers, while the brown and orange blend together where they meet.

Believe it or not, I used the Browns' new brown jerseys and the 1984 preseason jerseys today in class. I taught my students that we study history so we do not repeat it, and this was the least controversial example of history repeating itself that I could think of.

Most of the responses were laughter, "how do you know this stuff?" and one naive student saying, "but there aren't any books about jersey history." lol

I think I got the point across, and they definitely learned something new.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Browns know where all of their players line up on the field so there should be no problem figuring out who is who on film.

Players sub in and out though. I'm sure they have people who chart who was in for what play # but to have to reconcile that rather than just see it with the film would be a chore.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was playing Madden 16 today and I noticed the orange numbers on the Brown jersey were now white. I should've screenshot it, but I didn't think anything of it until I saw this thread. I think it's just the infamous EA uni screw-ups, but who knows.

Edit:

Font is also different from the away, at least the number 1 is different.

image_38.jpg

So judging from what I've seen today Nike must not have planned for the Browns to play night games. I'm not having problems reading numbers when it's sunny. When it's raining cats and dogs in November it will be a different story.

I was playing Madden 16 today and I noticed the orange numbers on the Brown jersey were now white. I should've screenshot it, but I didn't think anything of it until I saw this thread. I think it's just the infamous EA uni screw-ups, but who knows.

Edit:

Font is also different from the away, at least the number 1 is different.

image_38.jpg

Probably so Madden players can read the numbers. Not a bad idea though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

When was the last time the Browns wore only the white jerseys? I know they did it not that long ago, but Gridiron Database isn't loading images for me right now.

Because that's the best solution, only wear the whites. Orange if they really really have to.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived