Player Jersey Eras

16kid

I don't know if this topic was done before but I was thinking what players in sports history have yourself remembering players when thinking of jerseys

Examples

Tom Brady- Pats

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tom-brady-suspended-by-nfl-following-deflategate-details-2015115

Paul Karyia- Mighty Ducks

http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?clientid=1449&leagueid=0&pageid=2384

George Reid and Ron Lancaster- Riders

http://www.cflaa.ca/category/cfl-alumni-man-of-the-year

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we've had this topic but we informally use these phrases a lot. The "Barkely era" Suns above is a good example. Had LeBron never come back to Cleveland then the previous set would be "LeBron era."

This does not work a lot, though. There is no "Jordan era" as the Bulls have kept the same basic uniform for so long. And there is no "Tony Gwynn era" as he wore so many different styles.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

what players in sports history have yourself remembering players when thinking of jerseys

Ryan-The-Office-confused-GIF.gif

Hehe! It's true that that sentence does not survive close scrutiny. But somehow the meaning is communicated.

Anyway, as OnWis says, there aren't many candidates for this. One which comes close is the White Sox uniforms that are associated with Dick Allen:

dick-allen.jpg

allen_7846xski_nzpog0e4.jpg

That uniform is also a candidate for the greatest discrepancy in beauty between a home set (wonderful) and a road set (awful).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

My all-time favorite athlete, Kenny Lofton.

82285-6038979Fr.jpg

I would dispute this. Not that Lofton isn't great. But how is this style more associated with him than with Albert Belle or Jim Thome or Carlos Baerga or Sandy Alomar, Jr.? I mean to say that you could identify that uniform with any of those players; no one of them stands out the way Aaron and Allen do for the Braves and White Sox styles that I mentioned above.

Donovan McNabb

RuuIWW4.jpg

I can't say that yet and here's why - they're still wearing it and they had it before he got there. They'll have to change for those to become the "Donovan McNabb" uniforms.

Now I would definitely refer to these as the Randall Cunningham uniforms.

vin0807eaglesnotes.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

While it's tempting to call the Nets' classic uniforms the "Dr. J uniforms", the fact is that they wore that style for quite a long time after they lost Erving. For me those unis evoke Buck Williams and the late Darryl Dawkins just as much as they do Dr. J.

But this set can be called the "Drazen Petrovic uniforms", as he's the only one who comes immediately to mind:

drazen-petrovic-300c.jpga2aa51e0-d42f-11e4-9bf0-9dba23c539cb_Dra

My all-time favorite athlete, Kenny Lofton.

82285-6038979Fr.jpg

I would dispute this. Not that Lofton isn't great. But how is this style more associated with him than with Albert Belle or Jim Thome or Carlos Baerga or Sandy Alomar, Jr.? I mean to say that you could identify that uniform with any of those players; no one of them stands out the way Aaron and Allen do for the Braves and White Sox styles that I mentioned above.

Ahhh, okay. I misinterpreted the original post. I thought it was about what uniform we associate with particular players.

My fault! The original post makes more sense now haha.

For that era, I'd could go Omar or Sandy, but probably Thome.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Donovan McNabb

RuuIWW4.jpg

I can't say that yet and here's why - they're still wearing it and they had it before he got there. They'll have to change for those to become the "Donovan McNabb" uniforms.

Now I would definitely refer to these as the Randall Cunningham uniforms.

vin0807eaglesnotes.jpg

He was the only player to wear those jerseys for their entire existence 1985-95

Hank Aaron wore many styles for the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves. But the one style that is most associated with him is the 1972-75 style that was used when he was approaching and passing Babe Ruth's all-time home run record. Indeed, those uniforms are now called the "Hank Aaron uniforms".

AFCS3.jpg

hank-aaronjpg-7d3d7c513bcb940c.jpg

Which is weird considering how much more of his career was spent in the more classic looking Braves jerseys. And while he could still hit in this period, these were easily the least good years of his Braves career. Record-breaking moment aside, this is the jersey of his decline years. Is there another athlete so closely identified with the uniform of their decline?

Archived