Player Jersey Eras

16kid

Hank Aaron wore many styles for the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves. But the one style that is most associated with him is the 1972-75 style that was used when he was approaching and passing Babe Ruth's all-time home run record. Indeed, those uniforms are now called the "Hank Aaron uniforms".

AFCS3.jpg

hank-aaronjpg-7d3d7c513bcb940c.jpg

Which is weird considering how much more of his career was spent in the more classic looking Braves jerseys. And while he could still hit in this period, these were easily the least good years of his Braves career. Record-breaking moment aside, this is the jersey of his decline years. Is there another athlete so closely identified with the uniform of their decline?

Elway?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to figure this out kinda makes my head hurt but I'll give it a stab...

Cal Ripken Jerseys

Pudge Rodriguez jersey being the mid 90s red Rangers jerseys

Despite how long they've been around by now the White Sox home uniforms always remind me of Frank Thomas.

Original Arizona Diamondbacks home jerseys with the White caps that never actually ended being used in many games always remind me of buck showalter.

Not sure which one but u could probably do this for a Pete Rose jersey.

And my favorite, the only jersey I own with a specific player name on it... The Joe Carter Jersey.

Piazza-marlins.jpg

How? Over Edgar Reneteria, Charles Johnson? and then their 2003 look was definitely Dontrelle Willis/Josh Beckett. Piazza was there for a year and then went to the Mets who I would argue he owns their late 90's early 2000's set forsure. But for the Marlins? No way.

Trying to figure this out kinda makes my head hurt but I'll give it a stab...

Cal Ripken Jerseys

Pudge Rodriguez jersey being the mid 90s red Rangers jerseys

Despite how long they've been around by now the White Sox home uniforms always remind me of Frank Thomas.

Original Arizona Diamondbacks home jerseys with the White caps that never actually ended being used in many games always remind me of buck showalter.

Not sure which one but u could probably do this for a Pete Rose jersey.

And my favorite, the only jersey I own with a specific player name on it... The Joe Carter Jersey.

I think I would take Konerko over Thomas on the current White Sox homes

Piazza-marlins.jpg

How? Over Edgar Reneteria, Charles Johnson? and then their 2003 look was definitely Dontrelle Willis/Josh Beckett. Piazza was there for a year and then went to the Mets who I would argue he owns their late 90's early 2000's set forsure. But for the Marlins? No way.

e37.png

Good one, good one. Since we are on a Florida tangent, I will throw this one into the ring:

PI-CFB-Florida-Gators-Tim-Tebow-121213.v

Considering all the great football players to come from Florida, Tebow is the guy who people picture with these jerseys. Be it media buzz, cultural excitement, whatever it may be, Tim has become the face of this uniform. He was voted State of Florida's mount rushmore player via ESPN a few years ago. He did win championships in this uniform which put it on national TV a lot during his college days.

what players in sports history have yourself remembering players when thinking of jerseys

Ryan-The-Office-confused-GIF.gif

Hehe! It's true that that sentence does not survive close scrutiny. But somehow the meaning is communicated.

Anyway, as OnWis says, there aren't many candidates for this. One which comes close is the White Sox uniforms that are associated with Dick Allen:

dick-allen.jpg

allen_7846xski_nzpog0e4.jpg

That uniform is also a candidate for the greatest discrepancy in beauty between a home set (wonderful) and a road set (awful).

Seriously? I had no idea those were part of the same set... Gosh the blue one is so ugly.

Archived