Last NFL team to wear ...

Buffalo

I began wondering who was the last NFL team to wear silk screen numbers on their jerseys. I know the Buffalo Bills, my favorite team of all time, good silkscreen numbers on their jerseys throughout their hey day during the 90s. I don't recall exactly when they abandon that, my guess might be when they went with those terrible Drew Bledsoe era uniforms

So, question does anybody recall which was the last franchise to wear silk screen numbers on their jerseys?

My guess is the Washington Redskins. A Google search is showing a bunch of jerseys dated 2000 (during the adidas era) that look screened.

http://parkwaypastimes.com/uploads/images/Davis%202000%20Home%20Jersey%20A.JPG

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/ItemImages/000077/77789b_lg.jpeg

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Depends if you want to count it, but I think the last time screened on numbers were actually used are the Buccaneers throwbacks

fantasy_g_martin01jr_576.jpg

Idk how recent that photo is, but it shows the screenprinting pretty well.

All it is though is an accurate throwback. Technically, the answer is this, but there's a better answer for when they were last used full-time

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Like a few people said, there were several teams still using non-stitched numbers in 2001. Technically, the game unis were "heat-pressed" layers applied on top of one another, while store replicas were screenprinted. I have a circa-2001 Bills authentic and you can see each layer peel off the one beneath it.

I prefer screenpinted Champion replica jerseys over the current stiff Nike replicas... the $100 price tag isn't doing the new jerseys any favors, either.

We had this very thread a few months back. I don't remember the answer, but I think we determined it was the Bills, Chargers and Redskins all wearing them through 2001. The Cowboys dropped heat-pressed numbers the year before.

The Redskins switched to tackle twill beginning in 2001 season. However, that did not make the uni any better especially with the bigger than normal uni numbers Adidas created during the Redskins brief stint with that apparel company.

51718996_8.jpg?w=594

1496517-dec-2001-jon-jansen-of-the-washi

I'm surprised screen printed numbers aren't still used, they are much more lightweight and isnt todays uniforms all about being 0.015% lighter and stuff?

I'm sure they'll be back in a year or two. Nike is using them in college for schools like Oregon. Particularly crappy ones which look like foil and duct tape.

And those pictures of the Redskins just show how much better the Redskins looked back then. Drop the yellow pants. They looked much, much better with only red and white pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Like a few people said, there were several teams still using non-stitched numbers in 2001. Technically, the game unis were "heat-pressed" layers applied on top of one another, while store replicas were screenprinted. I have a circa-2001 Bills authentic and you can see each layer peel off the one beneath it.

I prefer screenpinted Champion replica jerseys over the current stiff Nike replicas... the $100 price tag isn't doing the new jerseys any favors, either.

Just outta curiosity- what is the difference between 'heat-pressing' and 'screen-printed' graphics?

UBwef0L.png

Just outta curiosity- what is the difference between 'heat-pressing' and 'screen-printed' graphics?

http://www.customsportsteamuniforms.com/blog/pros-and-cons-of-screen-printing-and-heat-press/

The old screenprinted replica jerseys (think Champion-era) had one layer total for an entire number while a heat-pressed jersey (think Sandknit or Reebok's 2001 authentics) would have a separate layer for each color, just like stitched uniforms, but pressed with heat instead of stitched together.

For example, if the Ravens heat-pressed their numbers, the drop shadow behind the numbers would be its own fully established printed layer. The white number itself would be another layer pressed on top of the last. If the Ravens screen-printed their numbers, they would print all the colors as one layer and only the black that shows past the number would actually be printed.

I think the Vikings are the only team to not screen-print their stripes (other than the Lions and Steelers who have woven stripes). In general, screen-printed striped look best to me because that's how they've always been. The only time I've seen sewn-on stripes before the Vikings was on counterfeit jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived