Adidas to Take Over CFL in 2016

PackerFan98

Yeah, probably more noticeable on the sidelines than on the field.

I wouldn't mind seeing Calgary get a uniform update. Hate their numbers, and don't like their black helmet, though the helmet hate may just be because I think red, black, and white with a black helmet is an Ottawa look. (Ottawa should have more black than red, with black helmets, and Calgary should have more red than black, with red helmets)

I know Ice_Cap will say that this isn't a big deal and it's fine given what the rest of the Big 3 do, but as a Michigan alum who attended the school during Dave Brandon's "one-offs in big games every year" experiment, I just can't abide the 3 Stripes.

I would like to see all of the CFL conform to a single template with contemporary fabrics rather than looking like they haven't left the 90s, but if that means they're going to have Shockweb covering most of the jersey, alternates with numbers on one side of the helmet and the primary logo on the other with that primary logo enlarged and placed on the left thigh of the pants, and shiny foil-like numbers, stripes, and NOBs (with the numbers and stripes sliced up), then forget that. Hopefully Adidas will limit that to its major FBS schools as it becomes increasingly irrelevant in that market.

I'm holding out a small bit of hope that Adidas isn't going to push the garbage that they've put out in college football, but realistically, that's probably going to be what happens.

Maybe this explains the templates Michigan and Wisconsin are using this year. They're both seemingly out the door so using them to test updated templates that aren't shockweb makes sense.

I was hoping Nike would take over the CFL uniform duties, but eh, what do you do?

After what Nike has done to the NFL, I gotta ask, why would you have preferred Nike?

Anyway, about Adidas taking over for the CFL. In my opinion, this is probably the best case scenario because they already own Reebok anyway, so, for those of us such as myself who prefer most of the Reebok football templates over Nike's, I think that with Adidas, there is a better chance that the jerseys won't be affected too significantly, which, especially for Hamilton and Toronto, I'm hoping this is the case. At the same time, I've seen Adidas tinker with College Football in the U.S. and not for the better and that does concern me going forward. I just hope they either stay status quo or improve some teams, such as Ottawa and Montreal.

I was hoping Nike would take over the CFL uniform duties, but eh, what do you do?

After what Nike has done to the NFL, I gotta ask, why would you have preferred Nike?

Anyway, about Adidas taking over for the CFL. In my opinion, this is probably the best case scenario because they already own Reebok anyway, so, for those of us such as myself who prefer most of the Reebok football templates over Nike's, I think that with Adidas, there is a better chance that the jerseys won't be affected too significantly, which, especially for Hamilton and Toronto, I'm hoping this is the case. At the same time, I've seen Adidas tinker with College Football in the U.S. and not for the better and that does concern me going forward. I just hope they either stay status quo or improve some teams, such as Ottawa and Montreal.

TBH, I thought it would've been fun to see what Nike would've done to the CFL. Not all the changes the Nike made to the NFL were that bad, really, IMO.

On another note, some of the uniforms the CFL has right now are fairly bad, and Nike would also come up with some weird designs, so it kinda evens out.

For teams like Ottawa and Saskatchewan, whose uniforms suck because they make use of Reebok's crappy templates, this may turn out good. But for teams like Edmonton and Clagary, who suffer from issues suck as the overuse of black, unnecessary home/road helmets, and inconsistent striping? It doesn't matter whether it's Reebok, Adidas, Nike, or Hugo Boss making the templates -- the teams have gotta step up and fix their uniform problems.

There doesn't need to be a complete make over of all the teams. The only teams that need change are Edmonton, Saskatchewan, and maybe Winnipeg. The Riders should just switch to their vintage uniforms. Those are absolutely beautiful. Calgary needs to ditch the black helmet permanently and tweak their number font. Maybe add some stripes to their pants. Any team with those triangle pant stripes should change them up, too.

There doesn't need to be a complete make over of all the teams. The only teams that need change are Edmonton, Saskatchewan, and maybe Winnipeg. The Riders should just switch to their vintage uniforms. Those are absolutely beautiful. Calgary needs to ditch the black helmet permanently and tweak their number font. Maybe add some stripes to their pants. Any team with those triangle pant stripes should change them up, too.

Montreal needs a complete makeover. New logo, new shades of red/blue/grey, better chest wordmark, and better colorblocking, if that's what they want to stick with.

Montreal needs a complete makeover. New logo, new shades of red/blue/grey, better chest wordmark, and better colorblocking, if that's what they want to stick with.
Yes. Montreal is 110% objectively the worst looking team in the CFL, and there's no close second. Reebok somehow found a way to top the Bills 2002 monstrosities when they released Montreal's current set.

Archived