Hey guys! Back with a rebrand. After updating the Chicago Bears secondary bear logo, I decided to give another NFL team a new look. The Baltimore Ravens current logo package is more than 16 years old, so I thought they might use some kind of general overhaul. The color scheme (black, purple, gold and red as a supporting color) stays mostly untouched, except for purple. It's a just a notch lighter than their current shade.

Baltimore%20Ravens%20current%20logo_zps4

Ravens current primary logo

Baltimore%20Ravens%20logo%20teaser_zpsjm

The logo package consists of five marks (primary, secondary, two alternates and a wordmark, plus variations).

Baltimore%20Ravens%20logo%20chart_zpslon

The primary mark is a modernization of the 1999 logo. The "B", which is part of the Raven's head, is gone – simply because I have never really liked it.

Baltimore%20Ravens%20primary%20logo_zpsb

The secondary logo is an overhauled version of the "B" initial that the Ravens also wear on their pants.

Baltimore%20Ravens%20secondary%20logo_zp

One of the alternate logos is the shoulder patch mark, the 'Cote of Arms' shield. The "B" and the "R" are no more, since the logo now mostly consists of the Maryland state flag. The original colors of the flag (yellow and red) that the Ravens organization borrowed, are now replaced with Ravens gold and Ravens red to achieve unity. For design and coloring reasons, this logo has no gold outline, but would have one when being on the uniform.

Baltimore%20Ravens%20Cote%20of%20Arms%20

The second alternate logo is rather a typical NFL wordmark logo. It shows the Raven with the team's wordmark underneath it.

Baltimore%20Ravens%20alternate%20logo_zp

The Ravens wordmark is a combination of non-serif and serif typefaces. I thought that the Ravens need to stay with a serif typo. The team was named after Edgar Allen Poe's famous poem "The Raven" (Poe was born in Boston, but died in Baltimore at the age of 40), so a non-serif, modern font would be out of place.

Baltimore%20Ravens%20wordmark%20logos_zp

Last, but not least, here is the Ravens helmet with the primary mark on it. The facemask isn't black anymore, but purple and the helmet would have a matte finish. I thought the purple facemask is harmonizing with the modernized logo pretty good, also since the Vikings got rid of their purple facemasks two years ago and this wouldn't be a copycat anymore.

Ravens%20helmet_zps3lq1um5p.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I think part of why people say it looks ordinary is because it doesn't feel like it has motion like the current logo does. Part of that, I think, is the bottom left of the logo. Instead of making it come down to a point, what about curling it back up toward the second point in the neck? That would be a start, and I would also consider skewing the entire logo to give it some more "life" as well. That may not have made sense, but I can draw my idea if that'd help.

spacer.png

l actually like this a lot. I think it is a much needed update and it looks great.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I think your rebrand is cool. As some others have mentioned... it just might need a bit more to nail it. It might just be as 8993 mentioned that it is not as fierce as the current logo. One thing that the current one does, is it makes use of all the real estate. Whereas you have a lot of purple that can either be beefed up with detail...or maybe you can try to get a B or an R in there.

Nevertheless, you are on to something. A few tweaks and it will be amazing. Great work.

spacer.png

Personally I do think it's already better, but I think I agree, its not quite perfect yet.

Couple suggestions worth at least trying

- Add some definition within the purple head part - might help make it look a bit more jagged/badass

-Lengthen it horizontally slightly(I don't know in my head it just seems like it should be slightly wider horizontally and narrower vertically, but I might be crazy on this one)

-Close the beak - the tiny sliver of white making it in there and the gold outline don't work in my opinion I just find it hurts my brain a little.

-Try adding some of the spikyness from the edge of the bridge of the nose back, as in the original

Anyways, just suggestions, they might not work but worth trying I thought. Everything else looks good and overall its top notch. Makes me want some ravens merch.

Personally I do think it's already better, but I think I agree, its not quite perfect yet.

Couple suggestions worth at least trying

- Add some definition within the purple head part - might help make it look a bit more jagged/badass

-Lengthen it horizontally slightly(I don't know in my head it just seems like it should be slightly wider horizontally and narrower vertically, but I might be crazy on this one)

-Close the beak - the tiny sliver of white making it in there and the gold outline don't work in my opinion I just find it hurts my brain a little.

-Try adding some of the spikyness from the edge of the bridge of the nose back, as in the original

Anyways, just suggestions, they might not work but worth trying I thought. Everything else looks good and overall its top notch. Makes me want some ravens merch.

Agreed. It's just too "smooth" for my taste.

I feel like the head looks a lot less fierce, and less directional flow. I think closing the beak will help simplify and add flow. I like the lighter shade of purple, though, great call. Those alternates are excellent, though, especially the winged B.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived