Sign in to follow this  
infrared41

Infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL Week 1

Good to see North America's favorite, weekly, NFL uniform list back for another year.

Surprised to see Pats-Steelers above Bengals-Raiders, or even Giants-Cowboys.

No love from anyone for Lions-Chargers?

ladarius-green-steve-johnson-nfl-detroit

I don't like how the lightning bolt appears on a white background on the helmet and then on a navy blue background on the pants and sleeve. Pick a background color and stick to it.

The Lions looked great in the sun.

For me, as a Bears fan, I dislike them primarily because they're taking away from the Bears wearing what I think it the best uniform in football. And over the last seven years in the regular season, they've worn alternates against the Packers at home all but once (they wore the orange jerseys in 2009 and 2011, and the throwbacks 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015). I wouldn't care as much if they wore them against the Cardinals or Panthers (and I love the Panthers' uniforms!), but it seems wrong that in a great visual matchup between historic rivals, the Bears always decide to not look like the Bears.

Incidentally, I much prefer the orange alternates to the throwbacks. The throwbacks are essentially them saying "we don't want to rock the boat, but we want to sell more jerseys." They're not as good as the home jerseys, but they're very similar. The orange jerseys were considerably different, distinctive, and the numbers were much more legible. I think the orange jerseys were really nice looking. The only problem is that they were wrong for the Bears. The throwbacks, however, look like a movie about the Bears that didn't want to pay for the license to use their actual jerseys.

im a big fan of the Bears' throwbacks and that game was my favorite of the week. what is it about them that you dont like? is it just that they remind you of HS football?

They're a dumbed down version of their home uniforms that are one of the best in the NFL. No stickers on the helmets and gray facemasks are both worse than their primary helmet. Removing white from the jerseys is the deal breaker for me. The jerseys are way too dark with just orange on navy and the numbers aren't exactly easy to read. The number font on the throwbacks isn't as good as the classic rounded font.

If they have to have an alternate jersey, I'd prefer the orange jersey over these throwbacks. I don't think the Bears need an alternate though. Wearing white pants on the road a couple times would be enough mixing it up for me.

i can understand this perspective because as a Colts fan, i feel similar to their throwbacks - i'd love to see them bring in blue pants from time to time but the throwback uniform (either white or blue helmet) feels a bit cheap when you're used to watching them in the same thing every week,

but, it's not a cheap knock-off, it's part of the team history. personally, i love throwbacks in general and love seeing old designs applied to modern equipment and i think as someone whose not too close to the Bears, those uniforms really are likable. the definitely have legibility issues with the numbers but from an entertainment perspective i love them.

follow up question - instead of an orange alternate, what if they wore the a version of the 1936 (i think thats the year) uniform twice a year?

il_fullxfull.372489864_5bj7.jpg

I don't like how the lightning bolt appears on a white background on the helmet and then on a navy blue background on the pants and sleeve. Pick a background color and stick to it.

This. That's my primary issue with this current set. The inconsistencies of background color drive me absolutely crazy. Like, to the point where when I watch any Chargers game, it's all I can see.

I know the 90's-early 00's set gets some flak sometimes, but there's something it's got over this current set for certain: it was consistent. White bolt outlined in navy and gold on a navy background, everywhere. No variances, no differences, no disconnect. Not gonna lie, I miss that.

This. That's my primary issue with this current set. The inconsistencies of background color drive me absolutely crazy. Like, to the point where when I watch any Chargers game, it's all I can see.

I know the 90's-early 00's set gets some flak sometimes, but there's something it's got over this current set for certain: it was consistent. White bolt outlined in navy and gold on a navy background, everywhere. No variances, no differences, no disconnect. Not gonna lie, I miss that.

I couldn't wait to get rid of the 90s-early 00s look at the time. Looking back? I miss that set terribly. They blow the current clown suits out of the water.

I couldn't wait to get rid of the 90s-early 00s look at the time. Looking back? I miss that set terribly. They blow the current clown suits out of the water.
Yes indeed. I didn't like the white uniforms all that much, but the blue set looked amazing. Classics, for sure.

For me, as a Bears fan, I dislike them primarily because they're taking away from the Bears wearing what I think it the best uniform in football. And over the last seven years in the regular season, they've worn alternates against the Packers at home all but once (they wore the orange jerseys in 2009 and 2011, and the throwbacks 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015). I wouldn't care as much if they wore them against the Cardinals or Panthers (and I love the Panthers' uniforms!), but it seems wrong that in a great visual matchup between historic rivals, the Bears always decide to not look like the Bears.

Incidentally, I much prefer the orange alternates to the throwbacks. The throwbacks are essentially them saying "we don't want to rock the boat, but we want to sell more jerseys." They're not as good as the home jerseys, but they're very similar. The orange jerseys were considerably different, distinctive, and the numbers were much more legible. I think the orange jerseys were really nice looking. The only problem is that they were wrong for the Bears. The throwbacks, however, look like a movie about the Bears that didn't want to pay for the license to use their actual jerseys.

im a big fan of the Bears' throwbacks and that game was my favorite of the week. what is it about them that you dont like? is it just that they remind you of HS football?

They're a dumbed down version of their home uniforms that are one of the best in the NFL. No stickers on the helmets and gray facemasks are both worse than their primary helmet. Removing white from the jerseys is the deal breaker for me. The jerseys are way too dark with just orange on navy and the numbers aren't exactly easy to read. The number font on the throwbacks isn't as good as the classic rounded font.

If they have to have an alternate jersey, I'd prefer the orange jersey over these throwbacks. I don't think the Bears need an alternate though. Wearing white pants on the road a couple times would be enough mixing it up for me.

i can understand this perspective because as a Colts fan, i feel similar to their throwbacks - i'd love to see them bring in blue pants from time to time but the throwback uniform (either white or blue helmet) feels a bit cheap when you're used to watching them in the same thing every week,

but, it's not a cheap knock-off, it's part of the team history. personally, i love throwbacks in general and love seeing old designs applied to modern equipment and i think as someone whose not too close to the Bears, those uniforms really are likable. the definitely have legibility issues with the numbers but from an entertainment perspective i love them.

follow up question - instead of an orange alternate, what if they wore the a version of the 1936 (i think thats the year) uniform twice a year?

il_fullxfull.372489864_5bj7.jpg

I'd love it, but I'm a sucker for that kind of shoulder stripe.

2. Chiefs - Texans: All white really works for the Texans. What else is there to say about the Chiefs? They have one of the best looks in the NFL. As long as both of these teams avoid the blue and red monochrome nonsense, they're always going to look good. Great helmet match up too.

Chiefs-Texans.jpg

I agree. I watched this game live and I must say the Texans do look better in all white at home. There's something about the navy jersey that seems dated to me, even though the franchise has been around for already 13 years. The Chiefs looked great on the CBS cameras, but one must start to think if the team will one day add perhaps a yellow outline to the logo on the helmet? Seems like it might be time...I might be in the majority, but even though they have a classic look, it would be more consistent to incorporate yellow into the logo/helmet by now.

I like the 90's-00's set, but I didn't like that the bolt was white. That set would be better if the bolt was yellow outlined in navy and white.

Its time to change back

No, its time to s-can the entire Redskins set. Including the name, which will eventually go as well.

The entire organization is a joke (starting with the clown who owns the team) and they need a complete overhaul. Burgundy and yellow is an ugly combination and the Washington uniforms are just tired looking (much like Cleveland's used to be).

Its pretty striking how much better the Washington's look when they sport deep maroon with their faux throwbacks. Deep maroon and old gold would be a great combo. And still be a part of their history as a franchise.

Agreed, take the bolt treatment on these panrs but use it on the jersey too.

sd-09-allwhite-wd-vert1-620x930.jpg

The Chargers are so close to having one of the top uniforms in the league if they eliminate a few annoying things.

The Lions did look great in the sun in their Honolulu blue's. Too bad that Ford Field doesn't have that bright natural light.

635778776770856023-AP-Lions-Chargers-Foo

They still have the sweat stains. Did the Lions ever solve their see-through pants problem?

Surprised Panthers-Jaguars didn't get more love. The game looked great, despite the ugly Jacksonville helmet.

635777588136431730-USP-NFL-CAROLINA-PANT

The game of course was better with those great carolina blue alternates.

The Dolphins/Jags game in Week 2 would look incredible if not for the helmets. The uniforms together look great though.

I like the 90's-00's set, but I didn't like that the bolt was white. That set would be better if the bolt was yellow outlined in navy and white.
That wouldn't be a bad look at all. I could get behind that, would've been a nice nod to the Fouts set.

It is part of team history, yes. But the Bears have had a few different looks, including the uni you posted. They used the orange alternates for a few years. Lots of fans liked them, lots hated them and complained they didn't look like the Bears. So the Bears specifically decided to use these throwbacks (over the orange jerseys or other throwbacks) because they're so similar to their home uniform. I think their current alts are mediocre at best on their own merits, but really bad when you consider that it's just a bastardized version of the home jersey which is taking away from them wearing the home jerseys.

I would like to see the Bears wear the unis you posted, or at least a corresponding home version (if it was similarly striped). At least it would be different. If I had my choice, though, I'd probably put them in the '20s throwbacks they wore in 1994. Those might have been too loud for their time 21 years ago, but in today's day and age of garish throwbacks, they'd fit right in beside the Steelers' bumblebee set. And it does more to convey "We are integral in the origins of pro football" than the 40s set, and you can't get more olde timey than that.

The Lions did look great in the sun in their Honolulu blue's. Too bad that Ford Field doesn't have that bright natural light.

635778776770856023-AP-Lions-Chargers-Foo

Most teams have the sweat box problem. A quick Google search of Ohio State's two playoff games prove why the Mach Speed uniforms are better as they reduce the panels from 2/3 of the uniform to only a spot on the sides and the narrow panel on the front.

tOSU vs. Oregon:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nike+mach+speed+jersey&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIh6a_-q7-xwIVyIuSCh3K9QF5&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=ohio+state+vs+oregon+2015

tOSU vs. Bama:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nike+mach+speed+jersey&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIh6a_-q7-xwIVyIuSCh3K9QF5&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=ohio+state+vs+alabama+2015

That wouldn't be a bad look at all. I could get behind that, would've been a nice nod to the Fouts set.

The Chargers actually had a look very similar to that from 1986-87.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01_zpsemfsspaq.jpg

temp1987_zpsku51bvdq.jpg