Infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL Week 1

infrared41

ladarius-green-steve-johnson-nfl-detroit

I don't like how the lightning bolt appears on a white background on the helmet and then on a navy blue background on the pants and sleeve. Pick a background color and stick to it.

This. That's my primary issue with this current set. The inconsistencies of background color drive me absolutely crazy. Like, to the point where when I watch any Chargers game, it's all I can see.

I know the 90's-early 00's set gets some flak sometimes, but there's something it's got over this current set for certain: it was consistent. White bolt outlined in navy and gold on a navy background, everywhere. No variances, no differences, no disconnect. Not gonna lie, I miss that.

I like the 90's-00's set, but I didn't like that the bolt was white. That set would be better if the bolt was yellow outlined in navy and white.
That wouldn't be a bad look at all. I could get behind that, would've been a nice nod to the Fouts set.

The Chargers actually had a look very similar to that from 1986-87.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01_zpsemfsspaq.jpg

temp1987_zpsku51bvdq.jpg

and it was the best they've ever looked! I'd go one step further and make the shoulder insert on the blue jerseys white and that's my ideal Chargers uniform. Maybe a blue facemask instead of yellow.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yellow facemask better than blue. I like how it "pops". :D

30362_DR_Chargers_74_87_2_1024x1024.jpg?

3000398_pl_chargers_88_06.png

If the bolt is going to be yellow then I don't also want the facemask to be yellow. I don't like the two to be competing for your eyeballs' attention. But I prefer the brightness of the yellow bolt compared to the white one.

Here's my Chargers concept from my NFL series (that was locked for some reason): http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101171-mccarthys-nfl/?p=2341547

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Lions did look great in the sun in their Honolulu blue's. Too bad that Ford Field doesn't have that bright natural light.

635778776770856023-AP-Lions-Chargers-Foo

Most teams have the sweat box problem. A quick Google search of Ohio State's two playoff games prove why the Mach Speed uniforms are better as they reduce the panels from 2/3 of the uniform to only a spot on the sides and the narrow panel on the front.

tOSU vs. Oregon:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nike+mach+speed+jersey&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIh6a_-q7-xwIVyIuSCh3K9QF5&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=ohio+state+vs+oregon+2015

tOSU vs. Bama:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nike+mach+speed+jersey&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIh6a_-q7-xwIVyIuSCh3K9QF5&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=ohio+state+vs+alabama+2015

yeah that and every template that ever came before it

ladarius-green-steve-johnson-nfl-detroit

I don't like how the lightning bolt appears on a white background on the helmet and then on a navy blue background on the pants and sleeve. Pick a background color and stick to it.

This. That's my primary issue with this current set. The inconsistencies of background color drive me absolutely crazy. Like, to the point where when I watch any Chargers game, it's all I can see.

I know the 90's-early 00's set gets some flak sometimes, but there's something it's got over this current set for certain: it was consistent. White bolt outlined in navy and gold on a navy background, everywhere. No variances, no differences, no disconnect. Not gonna lie, I miss that.

I like the 90's-00's set, but I didn't like that the bolt was white. That set would be better if the bolt was yellow outlined in navy and white.
That wouldn't be a bad look at all. I could get behind that, would've been a nice nod to the Fouts set.

The Chargers actually had a look very similar to that from 1986-87.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01_zpsemfsspaq.jpg

temp1987_zpsku51bvdq.jpg

and it was the best they've ever looked! I'd go one step further and make the shoulder insert on the blue jerseys white and that's my ideal Chargers uniform. Maybe a blue facemask instead of yellow.

I would prefer a blue facemask. The white inserts on the navy jersey work for me. The bolts are still consistent, given the white outlines around the bolts on the navy backgrounds.

All in all? I would say this is the Chargers' second best look. I'm still partial to the powder blue throwbacks.

The Lions did look great in the sun in their Honolulu blue's. Too bad that Ford Field doesn't have that bright natural light.

Most teams have the sweat box problem. A quick Google search of Ohio State's two playoff games prove why the Mach Speed uniforms are better as they reduce the panels from 2/3 of the uniform to only a spot on the sides and the narrow panel on the front.

tOSU vs. Oregon:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nike+mach+speed+jersey&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIh6a_-q7-xwIVyIuSCh3K9QF5&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=ohio+state+vs+oregon+2015

tOSU vs. Bama:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nike+mach+speed+jersey&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIh6a_-q7-xwIVyIuSCh3K9QF5&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=ohio+state+vs+alabama+2015

yeah that and every template that ever came before it

And even better, when a number is over the sweat rectangle on the front of the Mach Speed, you can't see the discoloration.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I thought they looked way better too. It's a shame we rarely see these outdoors.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If the bolt is going to be yellow then I don't also want the facemask to be yellow. I don't like the two to be competing for your eyeballs' attention. But I prefer the brightness of the yellow bolt compared to the white one.

Here's my Chargers concept from my NFL series (that was locked for some reason): http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101171-mccarthys-nfl/?p=2341547

I'm a little late, but you nailed it, McCarthy. That concept is fantastic. If they were ever to do a "merging of eras" sort of route, that's the gold way to do it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

That's a beautiful uniform. Nice work.

87Redskins.png

Archived