One NBA, Under Nike: Seattle Returns

Raven52

Extremely long-time lurker and one-time poster here. I'm beginning a career in advertising and design soon (that hopefully may lean into sports design) and I'm trying to knock out some personal projects I've always wanted to complete.

I had a hard time deciding which project to choose because I wanted to do something that has a remote possibility of happening. One idea that I hadn't seen explored too much here was an NBA expansion led by Nike. I decided that adding two teams to the NBA was perhaps the likeliest of any sports expansion scenario, and choosing the first team to (re)conceptualize was no difficult task.

Seattle makes its triumphant return to the Association with a modernized identity that adheres to Nike's design habits. While the branding itself has not aged poorly (and how can it with such a color scheme), the Sonics' "toilet seat" uniforms never sat well with me. However, I'm never one to completely abandon a history, so the "toilet seat" design becomes a sharp and sleek feature that arguably symbolizes speed more than the old curvature. Finally I included two alternate logos. I am leaning toward the second (right-most), but I understand that near-requirement having a roundel-based logo is now.

I'll probably keep adding to this concept with other multimedia such as advertisements or brand presentations to develop skills other than static graphic design. Let me know what you guys think and if there are any improvements you feel could be made. I'll get to the next team in the near future and then redesigns of outdated current teams, but feel free to shout out what cities you feel to have the greatest likelihood of owning an expansion team.

Sonics-Final-01_945.png

Sonics-Final-02.png

Sonics-Final-03.png

Just. Wow.

I can't put it into words how much that concept is just so, wow. It awes me that people can do this with so much precision to a level of which that concept is (not to mention raysox, gonordiques, sparky chewberry, etc) Excited to see where this is headed!

Loving this, for the most part. One thing to consider: the implications of an "italicized" building, especially in an area anticipating a devastating earthquake anytime between right this second and a few hundred thousand years from now.

This concept blew me away. utterly fantastic, although the numbers on the white jerseys do need to be green. i also think a court would push this over the top. as far as future expansions go, the cities that first came to my mind were Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and St. Louis. Maybe Montreal? can't wait to see this progress.

1. I like how you (intentionally or not) reference the visual history of the (Super)Sonics with the "put everything in a basketball" design and the upward-slanting wordmark.
  2. I love your modernization of what you call their "toilet bowl" design. It seems like it fits the contemporary age of NBA design and the idea to slant upwards the wordmark (and, accordingly, the jersey design around it) was very smart because it adds so much energy (while fitting in with the Sonics' aforementioned visual history).
  3. That away set is basically perfect for me, although I'm not sold on the secondary logo (on the shorts) and I'm not a fan of belt buckle designs in general, so that includes you putting SONICS there.
  4. The home set I'm not as sold on yet, only because I'm not sure how well that shade of athletic gold pops on white.
  5. I'm also not sure how well that athletic gold stands out in the wordmark. Is it just a design flourish or do you have an explanation for it? Reminds me of Nike's Northwest gold accents on the Washington Huskies' football font, except yours isn't in the northwest. From afar it mostly just looks like the first and last letters of SEATTLE and SONICS on the jerseys are unfinished.
  6. I'm not nearly as sold on your alternate logos as the rest of your concept. Like you, I prefer the second alternate logo, and I could even live with it if that was used, but like the rest of your concept, the athletic gold S gets lost on white (while working on green). The first alternate logo is just sorta boring.
  7. (Nice touch using Durant for your NOB, but why #23? Shouldn't it be #35?)

Overally, one of the best Sonics modernizations I've seen, if not the best. Good work. I look forward to seeing the promotional material you create.

Loving this, for the most part. One thing to consider: the implications of an "italicized" building, especially in an area anticipating a devastating earthquake anytime between right this second and a few hundred thousand years from now.

The Space Needle's only slightly italicized in the primary logo and not italicized on the secondary logo at all, not to mention the city of Seattle will survive the earthquake and barely be affected by the resulting tsunami--it's the coast and inland regions west of the Sound that are going to be devastated--so I think this concept would be fine. Fair point, though.