One NBA, Under Nike: Seattle Returns

Raven52

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back from the dead with the infamous yellow alts and a court that I had worked on a bit ago. The yellow was a bit of a challenge in staying true to the originals; anywhere the yellow and white met buzzed heavily (at least on a computer screen). This was fixed a bit by changing the color hierarchy within the kit. 

Court on the other hand was pretty simple, dropped in colors and logos, taking the historical court into account. I think I'll have to rework a font to use as "body copy" of sorts, so that the top of the court text isn't as heavy. Other than that, gave it a bit of homecourt flair by tilting the wood panels. Finally, if anyone has any arena sponsorship ideas (I have Amazon, Microsoft, and Starbucks as some choices, although slightly mainstream), shoot.

Sonics-Final-Presentation-06.png 

Sonics-Final-Presentation-07.png

Swinging back into things, so I'll probably be moving forward with this series. Another expansion team will be coming...

Sonics were my favorite team growing up (The Glove and Reign Man all day on NBA Jam) - and I absolutely love what you've done with them. That font is fantastic. BRING BACK SEATTLE!!!

XcryMwi.png

Absolutely love your Seattle Sonics concept! A near-perfect modernization of their classic identity....I'm sure white and green uniforms would look just as good with your design template. Only nitpick I have is how the letters in the NOB bow out at the top due to the arching -- obviously incredibly minor. Everything else from the colors to the font to the logos to the floor are all outstanding! Not enough NBA concepts on this forum lately, can't wait to see what else you come up with!

On 9/20/2015 at 10:11 PM, Raven52 said:

Small update here. First though, thank you all for the kind and constructive comments. I've been an admirer on this site for an extremely long time and it's good to finally try my hand.

1. I thought the outlined number idea was great, however the development of it didn't go well. Adding an outline meant adding two outlines (I would have wanted to keep a green space between the white number and yellow outline on the away jerseys for example.) I eventually settled for a color change that seems to balance out both jerseys better anyway.
  2. I literally have no idea why I put Durant and #23. I think I had input them at different times and didn't ultimately "fact check" at the end.
  3. As for the wordmark and number font, I actually created it myself. It's not exactly intricate, but I was afraid it would feel unbalanced at points. The flourishes on the end stemmed from an early idea of speed lines that made the letters look like they were buffeting, but it eventually go to such a fine level of detail that it just muddied the concept. I actually quite like the flourishes now, but I do agree they get lost a bit on the white (which seems to be a common problem in the concept).
  4. I removed the waist logo because I agreed that it was unnecessary. It was an arbitrary inclusion based on their old uniforms anyway.
  5. Most of all, the Space Needle has been un-italicized. I honestly had no thought about the ramifications of it, and thought of it more as an abstract representation of the Needle than an official logo. The alternate logo is proving to be a more difficult change to make, so that will come later. Also I wanted to keep the wordmark on a slant that was consistent throughout the concept, however changing the angle of only the Needle wasn't as jarring as I expected it to be.

A court and an alternate (although the yellow is tough) is definitely on its way, as well as ideas for other expansion teams. I decided I may be doing four and then you all can choose the most deserving concept.

Sonics Final Presentation-01.png

Sonics Final Presentation-02.png

Sonics Final Presentation-03.png

Very well done. The font works great and I like the fact that you retained the needle tower logo w/ a slight update. The uniforms still say "Sonics", but also brings it into the modern era.

Archived