Sign in to follow this  
sc49erfan15

Lowercase/mixed case names on back (NOBs)

After seeing Louisville's travesty of a uniform last night, complete with an awful nameplate font in mixed case, it got me thinking about which other sports uniforms have featured this oddity. Generally, we expect names on the back of jerseys to be in all caps - normal exceptions being single letters in "McGwire," "deGrom," etc.

I can only think of 3:

Louisville's aforementioned disaster:

460x.jpg

And two from the ABA, the Memphis Sounds and Kentucky Colonels:

Sounds%2074-75%20Home%20Back%20George%20

14979c_lg.jpeg

^great shot of Zelmo Beaty taking on Artis Gilmore, in gorgeous uniforms - mixed case NOB be damned.

What other oddly-cased NOBs are we missing?

The Washington Bullets at one time (I want to say circa 1985) had NOBs in mixed-case straight-across Crillee (italic included). Bad, bad, bad.

The Washington Bullets at one time (I want to say circa 1985) had NOBs in mixed-case straight-across Crillee (italic included). Bad, bad, bad.

Yes! The Bernard King/Muggsy Bogues/Manute Bol era. 1987 to sometime in the early 90s? Good call. I don't think it's Crillee though - my guess would be italic + bold Serpentine or something similar.

129672971-kevin-willis-and-tree-rollins-

The numerals on the Loserville jersey are horrible! Whoever approved of them needs to be fired!

I don't think it's Crillee though - my guess would be italic + bold Serpentine or something similar.

You're right. It is Serpentine. I transpose those two all the time. They're both ugly in roughly the same way.

Lowercase NOBs have been a fairly common occurrence in European soccer over the past number of years. Dinamo Zagreb was wearing them in their Champions League game against Arsenal this past week. This photo isn't from that game, but give you an idea of what they look like:

1851837_w2.jpg

Here's another of Arsenal themselves wearing lowercase NOBs in a 2012 Champions League game:

arsenal-fc-vs-ac-milan-3-0-uefa-champion

English teams can choose their own name and number fonts for games outside the Premier League; in the PL, there is a standard font.

The WBNA's proprietary font used on all uniforms has a lowercase A and E. They're the same height as the rest of the letters, though.

Lowercase NOBs have been a fairly common occurrence in European soccer over the past number of years. Dinamo Zagreb was wearing them in their Champions League game against Arsenal this past week. This photo isn't from that game, but give you an idea of what they look like:

1851837_w2.jpg

Here's another of Arsenal themselves wearing lowercase NOBs in a 2012 Champions League game:

arsenal-fc-vs-ac-milan-3-0-uefa-champion

English teams can choose their own name and number fonts for games outside the Premier League; in the PL, there is a standard font.

In soccer, lowercase names are generally a Puma thing, but I thought they were getting over it. Guess not.

Italy%20WC%20Squad.jpg

swiss.jpg

Luis+Suarez+Olympics+Day+1+Men+Football+

18217877.jpg

Schalke have been doing this for as long as I can remember:

schalke-scores-late-penalty-to-beat-10-m

IHL era Orlando SolarBears

orl11_b_zpsn63lxzyf.jpg

I think Northeastern University did similar not to long ago. Same font too, IIRC.

Speaking of the IHL, the Phoenix Roadrunners' blue flame alts did it:

Roadrunners29SHEVALIERaltbackG.jpg

How have I never seen these before??

Boy o boy, those are hot garbage lol