Inconsistencies & Anomalies in Sports

j'villejags

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested but can you further explain what you mean? Like inconsistencies between teams? Between jerseys of the same team? Between players in the same game wearing the same jerseys with differences like David Wright wearing an orange undershirt while the rest of the team wears blue? Or is it every and all inconsistencies?

I'm interested but can you further explain what you mean? Like inconsistencies between teams? Between jerseys of the same team? Between players in the same game wearing the same jerseys with differences like David Wright wearing an orange undershirt while the rest of the team wears blue? Or is it every and all inconsistencies?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to elements of a specific team's uniform that wouldn't be expected to fit in with the rest of their branding.

I used the example of Ole Miss and their "powder" blue helmets. To my knowledge, powder blue isn't a school color, and the color is not found anywhere else on the uniform. It's not a color you'd expect them to use based on their navy and red color scheme. A lot of folks think it simply works when it's all put together, when conventional thought might say the helmet should be navy to fit the rest of their identity.

I'll use the definition of anomaly for a more concise answer -- "something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected" -- applied to a team's identity, uniforms, logos, colors, or other design elements.

I've come around on the Colts' helmet. Used to think it needed a double stripe to match the rest of the uniform but now I don't mind the inconsistency. Which is weird, because that stuff usually bugs me.

If you look at the single blue stripe as just being the middle blue stripe that's surrounded by the two white ones on the jersey, it helps.

When i was younger I always wondered why the Vikings had cuff stripes on the road jerseys and shoulder stripes on the home jerseys.

Seems like a meaningless inconsistency, but oh well!

I've always held the belief that home and road unis should be mirrors of themselves in sports like football and basketball. Also I do not like monochrome in football. But I loved those road Viking unis with the white pants. I see those and I think John Randle barking like a dog and I smile.

Also I think you mean shoulder stripes on the road and cuffed stripes at home?

I've always liked how the Maple Leafs have the multi-striped socks, but the jerseys are the basic double stripes. It's a quirk that dates back to the 30's when their jerseys matched the socks and then one year they all of a sudden didn't, but the team kept the old socks anyways. It really fits a team with their heritage.

168048251_26807633.jpg

Archived