NFL to Los Angeles Rebranding

colortv

If generic names like "Titans" and "Texans" can be resurrected, I think "Bulldogs" would do just fine.

... how is "Texans" generic, if I may ask?

It's like naming a Kansas teams "Kansans". Nevermind the fact that there was also 2 other Texans franchise, one which is in the same league as the current.

That still doesn't tell me how it's "generic". There's only one Texas. There's only one Kansas. There's only one California... it's unique because you can only use it in one place.

Actually, it can be . . . and has been . . . used in three places in five leagues.*

Dallas -- NFL, AFL, Arena

Houston -- WFL, NFL

San Antonio -- CFL

It could also be used in Austin, El Paso, Lubbock, Waco . . .

* -- Just counting football. I'm not sure if it has been used for anything else.

I think you missed my point.

There is only one TEXAS, so using "Texans" is unique in that it is used in one part of the country.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Chargers may in fact completely re-brand the team(new name, logo) if they move to LA:

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2015/10/27/would-chargers-consider-rebranding-upon-moving-to-l-a/

One blogger saying he thinks they should does not equal they "may in fact" do anything.

Looks like the Chargers may in fact completely re-brand the team(new name, logo) if they move to LA:

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2015/10/27/would-chargers-consider-rebranding-upon-moving-to-l-a/

One blogger saying he thinks they should does not equal they "may in fact" do anything.

He already said it's not based on his own thoughts:

Vincent Bonsignore Retweeted JChizzle

No

Vincent Bonsignore added,

JChizzle @JChiz14
@DailyNewsVinny So, you didn't just pull this out of thin air? Just curious.
0 retweets0 favorites
Retweet
Favorite
More

Wish I could take credit for it

JChizzle @JChiz14
@DailyNewsVinny Vinny, is this article based on things you're hearing as a possibility? Or just an idea you thought of? It's a good idea btw
0 retweets1 favorite
Retweet
Favorite
More

He already said it's not based on his own thoughts:

No

JChizzle @JChiz14
@DailyNewsVinny So, you didn't just pull this out of thin air? Just curious.
0 retweets0 favorites
Retweet
Favorite
More

Wish I could take credit for it

JChizzle @JChiz14
@DailyNewsVinny Vinny, is this article based on things you're hearing as a possibility? Or just an idea you thought of? It's a good idea btw
0 retweets1 favorite
Retweet
Favorite
More

I can't believe I read that blog post...the guy is completely spitballing and passing it off as a story. Based on his logic any barstool conversation with any random could be cited as a possibility.

If generic names like "Titans" and "Texans" can be resurrected, I think "Bulldogs" would do just fine.

... how is "Texans" generic, if I may ask?

It's like naming a Kansas teams "Kansans". Nevermind the fact that there was also 2 other Texans franchise, one which is in the same league as the current.

That still doesn't tell me how it's "generic". There's only one Texas. There's only one Kansas. There's only one California... it's unique because you can only use it in one place.

Actually, it can be . . . and has been . . . used in three places in five leagues.*

Dallas -- NFL, AFL, Arena

Houston -- WFL, NFL

San Antonio -- CFL

It could also be used in Austin, El Paso, Lubbock, Waco . . .

* -- Just counting football. I'm not sure if it has been used for anything else.

I think you missed my point.

There is only one TEXAS, so using "Texans" is unique in that it is used in one part of the country.

I understood. The problem is that the name can plausibly be used in multiple cities within Texas.

The same would be true in many states (Florida, California, Pennsylvania). You might be able to pull it off for Georgians, Marylanders, Coloradans(?), Oregonians, Michiganders because those states have one dominant city . . . except those names are even worse than Texans.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I wouldn't have suspected the LA thread to have derailed into such a long conversation about how bad the nickname Texans is, and it IS bad on many levels.

I do recall reading somewhere that if the Chargers did move to LA that San Diego would become he #1 destination for future relocations. Could you imagine the SD people having to deal with the Raiders coming to town permanently? The space/time continuum would unravel.

I understood. The problem is that the name can plausibly be used in multiple cities within Texas.

The same would be true in many states (Florida, California, Pennsylvania). You might be able to pull it off for Georgians, Marylanders, Coloradans(?), Oregonians, Michiganders because those states have one dominant city . . . except those names are even worse than Texans.

Sup?

NewOldFloridiansLogo.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Sup?

NewOldFloridiansLogo.gif

. . . which worked just about as "well" as Texans, since Tampa/St. Petersburg, Orlando and Jacksonville are also big enough cities to support Big 4 teams.

The name actually worked better when the team became a regional franchise near the end of its existence.

From Wiki --

Following the 1969-1970 season, new owner Ned Doyle dropped "Miami" from the team's name and made it a "regional" franchise, scheduling games in Miami (back at the Miami Beach Convention Center), Tampa-St. Petersburg at the Curtis Hixon Hall and Bayfront Arena, Jacksonville at the Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum, and in West Palm Beach at the West Palm Beach Auditorium.

For the 1971-1972 season, the Floridians split their home games between Miami and Tampa.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Texas is so synonymous with football that Texans works as a football nickname. It would sound foolish in any other sport, and any other demonym would sound foolish in football. Of course Oilers is superior, but "Cosmos" or "Apollos" or whatever else is space-themed would just scream Fictitious Team For Movie, because it's close enough to Astros and Rockets. Other than letting the Oilers relocate in the first place and keep their intellectual property in the process, the NFL got this one right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If LA had gotten an expansion franchise, sure. But they're not - they'll have one or more of these three teams instead. And whichever those are, the current names will come with them.

Raiders or Rams would definitely be welcomed back, but if the Chargers go, as I said before, they should leave the name, colors and history in San Diego and change to this:

5625.gif

They'd be sued so quickly by Marvel/Disney it would make your head spin.

I don't see any of the teams rebranding for LA, since all 3 have a history there (some greater than others), but if they did there are so many name options for an LA team that you could go on all day. You could play up Hollywood (Stars, for example) or the Spanish/Mexican Heritage (Dons, Diablos, Aztecs, Conquistadors, etc.) or names from the past (Dons) or local fauna (Condors, Sharks, Cougars). Just a lot of great options. Too bad the NFL is not looking to put expansion teams in LA, I would actually prefer it, because if Oakland, SD or St. Louis move there I don't see a team jumping ship to take over any of those cities, so the odds of any new team names coming around soon are slim. Maybe London if the Jags relocate, but even that is not a gimme.

New York Islanders also falls into the realm of dumb nicknames.

How so? It's what you call the people there, it's region-specific, lends itself to good imagery (which, in fairness, they haven't utilized all that well) and it's not being used by any other high-level team or school.

If LA had gotten an expansion franchise, sure. But they're not - they'll have one or more of these three teams instead. And whichever those are, the current names will come with them.

Raiders or Rams would definitely be welcomed back, but if the Chargers go, as I said before, they should leave the name, colors and history in San Diego and change to this:

5625.gif

Why? Because we're going to pretend any of those 3 markets will ever get a replacement team in the next 2-3 decades?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

New York Islanders also falls into the realm of dumb nicknames.

How so? It's what you call the people there, it's region-specific, lends itself to good imagery (which, in fairness, they haven't utilized all that well) and it's not being used by any other high-level team or school.

I'm very familiar being I live on said island. I just think it's in league with Texans.

Archived