Sports TV/Radio Theme Songs

Waffles

There was a story on the radio this weekend about the music of televised football, covering the genesis of the Monday Night Football and NFL on Fox theme songs, as well as the evolution of NFL Films highlight music. It's an interesting, quick listen. I had no idea that the MNF theme had only been used with their coverage so (relatively) recently, and I was surprised that it wasn't commissioned for MNF but rather pulled from a subscription service.

This got me thinking about the best, most iconic sports "theme songs" (for lack of a better phrase).

I'd put the Olympic theme NBC uses up there (which I'd always assumed John Williams did until I just looked it up):

I'm also fond of Williams' original NFL on NBC theme (he also did the music for the current iteration of their NFL coverage):

On a local level, I can't say anything I've watched growing up in New York has ever stood out to me as objectively great. I'm guessing most of these tend to be fairly generic? The Yankees radio broadcast still uses the "Here Come the Yankees" fight song from the 60's.

What are some others that stand out?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your Canadianity is excused, Hockey Night is an all-time classic theme!

NHL on ESPN that Greg posted was/is a great one. I hope they bring it back for their World Cup of Hockey coverage. (It shows up from time to time as background for Barry Melrose's segments.)

NHL on FOX is also a favorite

And the NFL on FOX, I don't know exactly what it is about it, but it always gets me going.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANAΒ | LAA | LARΒ | LAL | ASU | CSULB |Β USMNTΒ | USWNT |Β LAFCΒ | OCSC |Β MAN UTDΒ |

"Gathering Crowds" is the best baseball-on-TV song ever and should have become an institution that gets re-recorded and re-arranged over the years:

It sounds exciting and lively while still feeling kind of relaxed and pastoral -- hey, like baseball. It's not EXPLOSIONS AND FOOTBALL or any of that. Should have been the music for NBC's Game of the Week and so forth.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

And of course, the theme song of March:

Brings me back to how we'd try to sneak in early rounds of the tournament during school days. It wasn't even that I liked college basketball, I just liked getting away with stuff.

That 2007 World Series theme, ew, gross! That's a funeral dirge.

I can't find a newer arrangement, but I always thought the secondary ESPN NFL song was solid. Hearing it, I can just imagine file footage of large mushmouthed black men shouting empty verbiage at no one in particular. IT'S ALL ABOUT THIS! TONIGHT IS WHAT WE DO! ONE CHANCE, ONE CHANCE!

"Gathering Crowds" is the best baseball-on-TV song ever and should have become an institution that gets re-recorded and re-arranged over the years:

It sounds exciting and lively while still feeling kind of relaxed and pastoral -- hey, like baseball. It's not EXPLOSIONS AND FOOTBALL or any of that. Should have been the music for NBC's Game of the Week and so forth.

Damn, wish I had thought of that one. B) But yeah, the song has just the right amount of grandeur without going over the top like a football song would.

Also, I think NBC's Game of the Week tune was pretty good in it's own right.

Β 

BB52Big.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's funny, because it's unmistakably NBC Sports music, but it also sounds like something The Simpsons would use for a gag where Homer is on the couch resignedly watching "The World Series of Dice-Rolling" or something.

Also loses points for using Kabel Bold. "But you can't dock a song for the font that was on the accompanying scre--" YES. I. CAN.

Gold medal: NBA on NBC... here's a slick mashup for Curry v LeBron

Silver medal: US Open golf on NBC...

It's those 2 & then everyone else.

With all due respect, NBC's Olympic theme is old & dusty... CBC's is more jovial, + they include thematic notes based on the host culture;

Beijing '08

Sochi '14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOa5hAzBmk

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I always thought this was better for the NFL on CBS than the overwrought mess they have now, which feels like someone yelling in your face. It's more traditional, like CBS. Hello, friends.

Kinda wish CBS and Fox could have flipped conferences with the most recent TV deal. CBS losing the NFC and therefore the Packers was such a big deal in Milwaukee that it threw off everyone's network affiliations and flipped channel 6 from CBS to Fox and demoted CBS to the UHF hinterlands of channel 58.

It's funny, because it's unmistakably NBC Sports music, but it also sounds like something The Simpsons would use for a gag where Homer is on the couch resignedly watching "The World Series of Dice-Rolling" or something.

Also loses points for using Kabel Bold. "But you can't dock a song for the font that was on the accompanying scre--" YES. I. CAN.

It was the early 80's. TV graphics were just barely past the days of the old rolling barrel* chroma key thing. Hell, there weren't but about 10 fonts for graphics when I started working in TV in 1992.

*Which The Price is Right used for it's closing credits until the 90's. It was a tradition thing.

Β 

BB52Big.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

I feel like I'm going to post multiple times in this thread, so I'll start off with NBC stuff.

I do like the SNF theme, but there's something about the 1995-1997 theme that I absolutely love

Nowadays I'd say their NASCAR theme is catchy, but the one that's the best and at the same time catchy is their EPL theme song. Which of course has 0 clear videos on YouTube without it being captured from somebody's cell phone, but I'll post it anyway because I want that string loop stuck in your head like a Saturday morning.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

When I was a kid, we got Boston's TV-38 on our cable package. I liked the song they used for Bruins games ("Nutty" because it's a rock version of The Nutcracker Suite, though I never made the connection until a couple years ago when I came across it on the you tubes because I am dumb).

Archived