infrared41's Best and Worst - Week 3 NFL

infrared41

After a pretty slow start to the season, things finally picked up a little in week three. We had a couple really great match ups and a couple pretty good match ups. Fortunately for us, no real train wrecks and that means no worst list this week - but there were some violations of the new "ruin a potentially great match up" rule. Lock in your final answer and let's play our game. As always, your mileage may vary.

Week 3 Best

1. Chiefs - Packers: A top five road uniform faces off against a top five home uniform. What else needs to be said? This is what a NFL game is supposed to look like.

Packers%202-2.jpg

2. Washington - NY Giants: I wouldn't put up too much of an argument if someone else had a best/worst list and they put this game at #1, but on my list, it's #2. B) Two great looks. The colors really popped in this one.

Wash-NYG.jpg

3. Saints - Panthers: Kudos to New Orleans for not ruining this game by wearing those awful black pants.

f2f4aa49-b35e-45a8-bd6d-0452e5f5edfa.jpg

4. Eagles - Jets: Yes, the Eagles green is drab, yes, the kelly green is better, and yes, I too would prefer almost any of Philly's prior uniforms. None of that changes the fact that the Eagles have a very solid look. In my book, the Jets in all white is one of the best looks in the league. There's a lot of green going on here but it looks good.

Eagles-Jets.jpg

5. Steelers - Rams: It's not a popular opinion around here, but I like the Rams current look - as long as they stay away from the blue pants. I prefer the gold pants but the white doesn't look bad. Throw in the Steelers and this game is good enough for #5 on the best list.

Rams-Steelers.jpg

Thanks for ruining a potentially great match up

1. Colts - Titans: Tennessee's white over navy look isn't exactly terrible...until you add in the navy socks. This one would have looked great if the Titans had worn their home jerseys with white pants. It would have looked great if the Titans had worn their light blue pants. What we ended up with was basically the uniform version of a mullet.

Colts-Titans.jpg

2. Raiders - Browns: Last season, this game is in the top three on the best list. This season, it could have at least avoided making this list. But someone somewhere thought a.) the Browns needed new uniforms, b.) people would have no idea who they were watching, and c.) monochrome brown looks good.

Just like last week, this isn't all that terrible...

Browns%201.jpg

And just like last week, we go right off the rails and plummet into a very deep canyon or something...

a6255368-a184-4356-ba93-1ac9f54b1ed9.jpg

And finally, there's this just because it so perfectly sums up the Cleveland Browns. Well that, and I just think it's funny.

2dcf48b5-4907-4348-b59d-c87773e7700e.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by.

BB52Big.jpg

ive a feelling that we might see cleveland make the bad list 16/17 weeks, with the only exception being the bye week

Nah, I think I've made my point. Other than the idiotic Browns wordmark on the pants, the all white looks pretty good. I'm optimistic that the orange alt over white pants will look decent too.

BB52Big.jpg

Only two comments on the list this week.

Chiefs-Packers is the obvious number 1, but you wouldn't have heard any protest from me if the Chiefs had gone white on white to closer recreate a Super Bowl I rematch.

superbowl1.jpg

And I'm normally a big advocate for striped socks (Hi dennis), but the Jets need to go back to wearing the solid green socks when they go white over white. Better matches the sleeves.

Curtis-Martin-New-York-Jets-01.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Only two comments on the list this week.

Chiefs-Packers is the obvious number 1, but you wouldn't have heard any protest from me if the Chiefs had gone white on white to closer recreate a Super Bowl I rematch.

superbowl1.jpg

Same here. I was hoping the Chiefs would go all white for this game. While I really like the red pants, I'm an even bigger fan of their all white look. K.C. has been one of my favorite looks since I was a kid. In fact, out there in the world somewhere is a picture of a 9 year old infrared41 rocking a pair of Chiefs pajamas on New Year's Eve 1970 and a few pictures of me wearing my JC Penny Chiefs varsity style jacket with matching stocking cap. I've always liked the Chiefs. Since my recent (and permanent) break up with the replacement Browns, I'd have to say the Chiefs are probably my AFC team now.

BB52Big.jpg

I like both the Eagles and Jets looks (though now that I've seen the color difference between the jets sleeves and their sleeve stripes it goes down a couple of notches) but the two teams together just doesn't make for a very aesthetically pleasing game for me. It's just green(ish) and white on a field that's green and white.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love the Jets unis, but Nike is butchering them with different shades of green... I'm not crazy about how desaturated they've made some teams colors, too (see the Saints pants)... I'm just waiting for Miami and Buffalo to face off in dueling throwbacks

True, but I try to look past that sort of thing with uniforms. It's not the design's fault that Nike has so much trouble with green.

That game making the best list is a pretty safe bet.

BB52Big.jpg

I love the Jets unis, but Nike is butchering them with different shades of green... I'm not crazy about how desaturated they've made some teams colors, too (see the Saints pants)... I'm just waiting for Miami and Buffalo to face off in dueling throwbacks

True, but I try to look past that sort of thing with uniforms. It's not the design's fault that Nike has so much trouble with green.

But the Jets could also make like the Packers and tell Nike to go kick rocks with their dumb materials that can't be properly reproduced in every color.

You have to give half of the blame to the Jets.

Also, that picture of Curtis Martin just further reinforced how far the Jets have fallen. I refuse the notion that just because pads and sleeves have shrunken that the Jets have to use that butchered/patch work sleeve treatment on their jerseys. There's a better way and Nike could make it work if they were made to. The Jets are at fault for not making Nike to make it work.

PvO6ZWJ.png

But the Jets could also make like the Packers and tell Nike to go kick rocks with their dumb materials that can't be properly reproduced in every color.

Also, that picture of Curtis Martin just further reinforced how far the Jets have fallen. I refuse the notion that just because pads and sleeves have shrunken that the Jets have to use that butchered/patch work sleeve treatment on their jerseys. There's a better way and Nike could make it work if they were made to. The Jets are at fault for not making Nike to make it work.

Agreed on all counts. Unfortunately, my little weekly list has to work within current uniform climate. That means overlooking stupid stuff...a lot of stupid stuff.

BB52Big.jpg

Agree 100%, IMO Chiefs at Packers with KC wearing red pants is my favorite matchup in the league I don't think it gets any better than that. Also I think anyone who can't appreciate classic uniforms need to look at last nights game and SB I and see just how cool that is that both teams look nearly identical.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

The jets could do themselves a favor in a number of ways.. 1) Nike might have trouble matching greens in current materials, but they could have Nike use previous materials on the current template. 2) of all the greens on their uniform, find the easiest one to recreate and own that one.. maybe matching the rib-knit shoulders and mesh vents to the primary jersey material is impossible, but perhaps matching the rib-knitting and jersey material to the mesh vent color would be doable..? 3) invert their shoulder striping colors so there isn't the awkward flat jagged edge coming from off the sleeve.. 4) change greens altogether to an easily replicated color.. If Nike can do it for Baylor and Mich State (both dark green teams), then the jets could use one of theirs without anyone really noticing and without damaging their current brand

Archived