Vancouver Sea Lions Update (October 5)

MDGP

I've been taking a break from my soccer concepts to work on my non-badge logo skills, and I've created a concept for an NBA team if the league returned to Vancouver.

Vencouver%20Sea%20Lions%20Primary_zps3af

Like many teams, the logo would not be surrounded by the letters, but I decided to follow the NBA's rule of including team names in the primary. Below is a version of the logo without the letters and also a bonus tertiary logo featuring an Inukshuk.

SECONDARY

Sea%20Lions%20secondary%20logo_zpseims0s

TERTIARY

Vancouver%20Inukshuk%20logo_zpsii0typnl.

Let me know what you guys think!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Maybe integrate part of the name in the inukshuk (sp?) logo, ie a V in the background. I think the main logo would look better if the seal didn't interrupt the outline of the basketball. I know roundels are overdone at this point, but in this case I think it would work nicely for a secondary/tertiary.

qtOnrJr.png

I feel as if there was a real missed opportunity here for an alternate logo where the sea

Lion is balancing a basketball on his nose. That would be so great.

I disagree that this needs to be made more fierce, as that is a motif far too overused in sports branding. But, as others have mentioned, the lion looks a bit too skinny and the highlights could be made a bit lighter to stand out more.

As for the inukshuk, while it is true that they are not really appropriate for Vancouver, the fact that the symbol was used for the 2010 Olympics means you find them everywhere here these days. So it is not really out of place.

Good design, but I agree with it not being agressive enough, could easily work as a D-league, though.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the comments! I took a look at each and played around with the logos a bit. Several didn't make it into the final cuts, but I appreciate each immensely.

PRIMARY/SECONDARY LOGO CHANGES

• Lightened the Teal a bit to be less muddy.
  • Beefed up the Lion a bit.
  • Made the Lion slightly angrier (but not too much. Like Nas, I find the idea of logos needing to be "bad ass" a bit overrated."

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-05%20at%2012.02.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-05%20at%2012.03.

TERTIARY CHANGES

• Nas, I completely hear what you are saying about being disappointed that I didn't have a logo with the Lion balancing a ball on his nose, and I'm disappointed in myself too. So here's the new tertiary logo.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-05%20at%2012.03.

Originally, I had the lion in the primary and secondary grinning as he swam, but I figured people wouldn't like it, so I changed it to a frown. I decided to reincorporate that into the tertiary logo. Note: I will NOT change the facial expression in this logo.

I also tried coming up with a logo in Tlingit/Haida style, but I just couldn't get it to look any good, so I chose to just scrap the idea. Maybe in the future after some practice with that art style, I'll come back and give it another go.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Really digging the secondary. I think i'd like to see the primary rotated 90' so that ball is sitting on his back, but thats maybe just my preference. Overall, very representative of Van(although I think I might not go with the same font for vancouver as the canucks, as solid as it looks).

When do we get to see jerseys :P?

The redesigns look great. I don't think they need to be badass, but this feels more in line with the spirit of the league.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Thanks a million for the comments guys! I'm really glad to see you guys like the logos.

Really digging the secondary. I think i'd like to see the primary rotated 90' so that ball is sitting on his back, but thats maybe just my preference. Overall, very representative of Van(although I think I might not go with the same font for vancouver as the canucks, as solid as it looks).

When do we get to see jerseys :P?

Actually, while it looks similar, it's not quite the same font. The Canucks use a custom version of Agency FB, while this is Norwester. While somewhat subtle, the differences can be seen in the letter R and the numbers (which will be more noticeable when I do the uniforms). The letters that happen to go in the name look very similar across the two fonts, so I can see where the confusion would come in.

I love it. Reminds me of the spirit of the old Bucks logo. Great job incorporating feedback.

The redesigns look great. I don't think they need to be badass, but this feels more in line with the spirit of the league.

Thanks guys, I was actually going for a combination between the old school cartoony style (like the old Bango logo and the Celtics logo) and the modern style logos (like the Pelicans and Mavericks), so I'm glad to see I appear to have hit that happy medium.

For everyone asking about uniforms, I'll get working on them. I've never actually done a basketball concept and I'm gonna have to find the right template, and figure out how to do a unique design, so it may take a little bit to present something.

Once again, thanks a lot for the comments!

• 2 months later...

Archived