MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Dodgers in pinstripes for selected home day games would work great for them. I also like the pinstripe hat as well, which puts me in the minority here. Maybe in 100 years from now the pinstriped home could be their primary home uniform, if they ever go that route. They did wear pinstripes in Brooklyn back in the 20's I think. Long before my time. A blue alternate interleague jersey with the "Dodgers" written across the chest in plain white and nothing more would be great, accompanied with a white panel cap, similar to the 77-92 Blue Jays home cap with a blue "LA" logo would work perfectly for the Dodgers, but I'm only dreaming here. Once again, I'm in the minority here, but I'm for the Dodgers adding a pinstripe uniform set, blue alternate jersey and making minor tweaks on their word mark for their other three uniforms for next season.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier, I did read a post on the Dodgers message boards about the Dodgers possibly adding a pinstripe home uniform for selected day games starting next season and maybe a pinstriped hat to go with it. Also an addition of a blue alternate jersey, possibly for Sunday home and road interleague games only. Then again, mlb message boards are not always the best sources of information when it comes to uniform rebrands. It was only a rumor from what I remember reading. I've read wilder rumors a few years ago like the Angels adopting Mighty Duck colors to their uniform set, which I know will never happen. As for the Dodgers, well, we'll just have to wait and see if they do actually make some subtle changes to their current uniforms, including those two alternates I mentioned.

Here's a mock-up of what the Dodgers would look like in pinstripes:

WF74f5g.png

I'm not a big fan. Their whole look is based in simplicity. Adding a pinstripe home alt is just unnecessary.

About as bad as the Reds looked at home from 1993-1998

jose-rijo.jpg

I'm not really bothered by teams wearing alt uniforms in the playoffs, I just don't like the on-a-whim nature that most baseball teams use, where generally the decision is made by the starting pitcher. I'd rather alt uniforms follow some predictable schedule. Like perhaps on home or holiday games, or something similar to that. That way there is a good balance between the standard home and roads, in addition to any alts they want to wear.

Teams off the top of my head that have a schedule

Orioles(For the most part, friday black, sat orange(all season home, late season road), white/grey rest)

Phillies(White/grey besides cream day games)

Reds(red day games)

BLue Jays home(white m-f, blue sat sun)

Red Sox-blue/red(away/home) friday

Marlins have a schedule but they've deviated here and there from it. Still, they've been consistent enough with it to still say they have a schedule. Also, I'm pretty sure the Royals have an easy schedule of alternates only in day games and white/gray only in night games, both home and road.

Marlins home schedule is white jersey M-F home games, black jersey Saturday home games, orange jersey Sunday home day games. On the occasional weekday day games they've generally worn the whites but occasionally have gone with the oranges (because is it more a day game or a weekday game?"

Gimmicks like a "blackout" should be saved for the regular season. For a lack of a better word, it just seems so "unclassy" to do it in the postseason.

I say this because the Pirates had a blackout. Didn't help them much though! (dance)

I disagree. The fans wait forever for these games. Give them something to root for and the blackout is part of the fun. Yes I'd rather they use the traditional unis but I don't have a problem with these gimmicks in the postseason.

Dodgers started using thinner back numbers in 1977, when they added white trim to them and the front script. (Dodger fan since 1969)

Awesome, good to know. That would explain why that 1970 jersey I posted earlier was using a more standard thickness.

But if the reasoning for the thinner variant was due to the white trim, then it does seem like a clear oversight to still be using that variant since the outline was removed (around 1999 or so?)

I would say the thinner variant is the standard thickness for the MLB block font, considering only the Royals use the thicker version right now. The Dodgers should be using it too, though.

Ah, maybe. I'm really not sure which one is "standard" or not. But I agree with you. Unless Dodgers want to go NNOB and make the numbers larger, which I can assume will never happen.

Off-topic, I noticed the Astros were finally wearing their home whites today. I guess they stopped wearing the orange jerseys since they finally had a loss in them.

From Henderson (who has a ton of pics to back it up, as usual):

- The current thinner number style went onto the home jerseys in 1980, but it was 2-color (blue/white outline).

- The white outline was abandoned in 2007.

And the Astros wear white at home for all non-Friday night games. The orange jerseys are the regular Friday night home game jersey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

pDSP1-16884831dt.jpg

I agree completely. The Angels still don't look right to me with solid red caps. This, on the other hand, look beautiful . . . and right for the Angels.

I know this is probably unpopular, but I liked when the Dodgers had a white outline on the white jersey numbers. The Rays still do this. I guess it got started because, like the Rays currently, they used the same numbers on both home and road (and the Rays use them on both alts, as well). It may be superfluous, but I'd love to see the Dodgers ad a base-layer to the back font in the color of the jerseys. There's something nice about that little unnecessary touch that you can only see up-close.

I'm pretty sure the Orioles have black outlines on their black jerseys. I think they also have black-orange-black sleeve piping, but only the orange shows up from a distance.

USP_MLB__Baltimore_Orioles_at_Boston_Red

I got all screwed up deleting things, so everything I wrote/added is in BOLD.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I can tell you from watching last night's game that one team I hope doesn't change is the Royals. Both their home and road uniforms are nearly perfect. Makes it easier to forget those horrible black jerseys happened.

Boy, Royals/Astros yesterday might've been matchup of the playoffs so far for me. That was absolutely beautiful.

Dodgers/Mets looked fantastic too, but KC/HOU gets the slight edge due to better contrast.

I'd give it to the latter just because I think KC has the slightly better uniforms compared to the Dodgers.

I can tell you from watching last night's game that one team I hope doesn't change is the Royals. Both their home and road uniforms are nearly perfect. Makes it easier to forget those horrible black jerseys happened.

I'd be in favor of them adding a gold drop shadow to their script and numbers, or going with gold front numbers (which would emulate the Dodgers even more than they currently do, but it could look good).

The road script is just too thin. Not sure how to fix that though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

pDSP1-16884831dt.jpg

I agree completely. The Angels still don't look right to me with solid red caps. This, on the other hand, look beautiful . . . and right for the Angels.

I know this is probably unpopular, but I liked when the Dodgers had a white outline on the white jersey numbers. The Rays still do this. I guess it got started because, like the Rays currently, they used the same numbers on both home and road (and the Rays use them on both alts, as well). It may be superfluous, but I'd love to see the Dodgers ad a base-layer to the back font in the color of the jerseys. There's something nice about that little unnecessary touch that you can only see up-close.

I'm pretty sure the Orioles have black outlines on their black jerseys. I think they also have black-orange-black sleeve piping, but only the orange shows up from a distance.

USP_MLB__Baltimore_Orioles_at_Boston_Red

I got all screwed up deleting things, so everything I wrote/added is in BOLD.

Orioles have a black outline on the numbers for the black jersey, but it is only a single orange stripe for the sleeves.

However, the Orange jersey does use the normal black orange black stripes found on the white and grey

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I'd like to see the Astros drop the logo within the roundel on their sleeve and replace it with either the cap logo or a small shooting star logo.

My feelings about the Dodgers in pinstripes mirror my thoughts about The Mets w/o pinstripes. It's not who they are and you are messing with perfection.

I really like the Rangers in red caps and red undershirts. It a nice balance with the blue wordmark and blue numbers.

It really stinks that the Mets aren't wearing pinstripes at home tonight. It's only the first playoff game ever at Citi Field ? ⚾️?⚾️

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I like the Mets' blue jerseys (although I think I'd prefer the primary logo sleeve patch), but I can't stand these alternate hats. I wish they'd just wear the standard home/road cap.

I must agree with everything you said. The Mets can't seem to be able to say "alright this is good enough". They always find a way to mess things up... They started with a perfect update to their uniforms set, added a useless hat, an ugly and useless road alt, changed the alt patches...

I really like the Rangers in red caps and red undershirts. It a nice balance with the blue wordmark and blue numbers.

I like that too, but I know some take issue with it. If they went back to a red wordmark, it'd be too Angel-like now.

Plus, the reverse is pretty common, so blue wordmark with red shouldn't be jarring. It works with Texas really being as even a red and blue team as can be.

I'm not liking the Mets blue alt jersey with the pinstriped pants. Maybe it's the shade of blue, I dunno. The Jays looked great today in their blues, the Mets, not so much. That's an example of a team I think would look better wearing white as much as possible.

I like that too, but I know some take issue with it. If they went back to a red wordmark, it'd be too Angel-like now.

Plus, the reverse is pretty common, so blue wordmark with red shouldn't be jarring. It works with Texas really being as even a red and blue team as can be.

I'm one of those that take issue with it.

They had it right when the caps and letters were red...

OliverInter97.jpg

They have it right when the caps and letters are blue...

LeeTex.jpg

Mixing the two just looks...off...

BelreTex2.jpg

Archived