FiddySicks

MLB 2016 Changes

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How can NNOB be the more professional look if your jersey can be given to any minor leaguer/non-roster invite/september callup and can be used by them without anyone knowing that was your jersey first? With name on back, if your jersey has your name it can't be used by anyone else. Its YOUR jersey. To me that's more professional than the high school look of "oh grab whatever jersey number you want out of that pile of old jerseys right there."

But really, the debate I wanted to make a point out of was the idea that NNOB is better because your home fans should already know your numbers. That's such an exaggerated theory, it's not entirely accurate. I'm as die hard a Marlins fan as probably anyone on this planet and of course I can tell you the jersey number of every major player on my team... but there's plenty of lower level guys I may be unsure of their number. Am I gonna remember the number of every relief pitcher that comes up throught the season? And if I can't remember every single player number... why would anyone else in the crowd know them all? Forget the Marlins in my case but any home town crowd. The number of people who fall into the category of "die hard fan who knows every jersey number" is so miniscule it's probably a laughable number. Are we forgetting how many fans in any ballpark are casual fans? Or even "less than casual fans" who got a free ticket, or got invited by a friend, or at simply at their first game ever? How about kids? Even kids that love their team won't know the whole roster of numbers outside of their favorite players.

Since the Yankees seem to be prime suspect number one for that argument... I wish there was a way of going to a Yankee home game and polling every fan in attendance to see who can really identify all the players by number alone. I think the results would surprise us.

You're right.  There's likely going to be a lot of people who don't know who anyone is from their number, although they're going to have plenty of opportunity to know who each person is by the lineup intros, and the announcement of their name and number each at-bat, as well as a scoreboard that gives you the entire lineup with their positions next to their names.  And that's not counting just looking at the players.  Nobody's going to mix up C.C. Sabathia and Brett Gardner, even from the upper deck.

Are there going to be people who still don't know who anyone is.  There's always people who got free tickets or are just going because it's the cool thing to go.  The thing is, even if you don't put names on the back, how many of these people are going to care?  They're going to spend the time taking pictures of themselves and their friends, talking, and reacting when something happens.

As for the professionalism aspect, I already listed a number of arguments in my last part.  Screen-printing can be done by any little-league or softball team.  It just feels a little too "look at me".  NNOB is more mature and therefore feels more professional.

39 minutes ago, cmm said:

Especially since they had SIX different guys wear #40 last year.

I've said it before, but names and even more so front numbers are extremely useful in IDing players. And before you say you can just check the scoreboard or your phone to see who's on the field, remember people at the park have to ID those guys so the scoreboard and your phone are correct.

If the scoreboard operator is making mistakes about who each player is, they do not deserve their job.

And I'm not gonna lie, the Yankees always have three or four generic Midwestern white guys in the bullpen I can't tell apart.  I honestly couldn't identify Robertson out of a lineup for the first few years of his career.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Curious what you mean with this line...

When they revealed they had a white and a gray uniform along with a black alternate and an orange alternate. To this day they wear all four uniforms. The white probably the most as they use it for all weekday night home games. Last year they wore the road gray as much as, if not more than, the black alternate on the road.

The only uniform element they've straight up dropped is the orange cap (and the orange undershirt that was worn at most twice in the inaugural ballpark year).

A number of those elements did disappear for years, although they reappeared more recently.  One never did, though.

BoyzIIMenMarlins_nfdsu8uu_2oyup2e4.JPG

Hmm...  Although I'm having trouble finding the original pictures of the actual jersey.  I distinctly remember the reveal as well as the outrage on this board when it quietly was scuttled without a word.  The Marlins new identity was revealed while we were in Detroit for Marnen's wedding.  We were staying at a Red Roof Inn, and I'd watched the third episode of Grimm the night before with the bee queen who ended up getting dealt with by Adalind.  The cake was yellow with flowers.  On the drive back through Pennsylvania we listened to a radio show that consisted of two guys watching the football games on TV with it audible in the background while they commented on it.  Basically, when I distinctly remember something, I remember it vividly.  The fact that I'm having trouble finding this is driving me crazy.

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And, while I have never followed college basketball, I am pretty sure that Michael Jordan never had his name on his jersey at North Carolina, unlike the blue North Carolina no. 23 jerseys being sold to the public.

michael-jordans-could-have-been-greatest

3 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Thank goodness for the qualifier "pretty sure".  :lol::P

Indeed. I guess I thought that names weren't added until after the Dean Smith years.

But, because I don't follow college basketball at all, I should have just left that whole bit out.  Alas, one lives and learns.

Yeah. I had to look that up, too. I thought I remembered him having NOB in the videos of "the shot," so I had to check.

I finally saw pics of the Tigers in the new pants. The individual loops are on front and sides of the pants as they always were, and the back has a tunnel to accommodate the batterman. Thankfully, not all is lost and they still have some of the belt loops.

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

If the scoreboard operator is making mistakes about who each player is, they do not deserve their job.

And I'm not gonna lie, the Yankees always have three or four generic Midwestern white guys in the bullpen I can't tell apart.  I honestly couldn't identify Robertson out of a lineup for the first few years of his career.

So the scoreboard operator in Kansas City should know what Caleb Cotham looks like from way up in the pressbox based on his height/weight and throwing motion in the bullpen alone?

My friend who works for Elias is in agreement with me that all teams should have numbers on the front of their jerseys (or at least their sleeves like the Phillies), especially in this era of defensive shifts where fielders swap positions between pitches. It's nice to know who's who without having to take notes on glove colors or sock height.

9 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The White Sox spring uniforms use the 80s throwback font. Yet another sign a rebrand could be coming. 

It's a sign that the team can't figure out what direction to take and generally doesn't know what it's doing. There are lots of these.

As for the Brewers, if they had simply ditched the Motre Bame diamond and put the M-state/barley ball logo on the sleeve instead, their 1997-99 set would have been flawless.

5 hours ago, cmm said:

So the scoreboard operator in Kansas City should know what Caleb Cotham looks like from way up in the pressbox based on his height/weight and throwing motion in the bullpen alone?

My friend who works for Elias is in agreement with me that all teams should have numbers on the front of their jerseys (or at least their sleeves like the Phillies), especially in this era of defensive shifts where fielders swap positions between pitches. It's nice to know who's who without having to take notes on glove colors or sock height.

No.  Except for one statement about the status of their job, that was all directed at fans.  I'd imagine that a scoreboard operator has a full list of the roster with their numbers and positions with a scorecard to fill in, along with some access to either a broadcast, video from cameras in the park, or the same information that I've heard announced to the press.  If they're just up there fending for themselves, then the system is rather archaic and should be updated, although if Bob Sheppard could do it under the same constrictions, I'd imagine it's not impossible.

Of course, as mentioned before, my arguments were about fans.  And we've already all discussed that the biggest fans can certainly do this.  If it's your job, I expect you to take the steps to know as much as you can about everyone in the ballpark that day.

On 1/23/2016 at 11:51 PM, Bucfan56 said:
21 hours ago, BrianLion said:

that's a bad photoshop job of adding yellow onto their set from last year.  the striping isnt even right. Here;s the actual new jersey from behind

ff_2246984alt3_full.jpg&w=600

This looks like it should be a really great Brewers jersey.

Are there any photos of the Braves' pants?  I'm curious how the MLB logo will look with the triple piping.

18 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

As for the Brewers, if they had simply ditched the Motre Bame diamond and put the M-state/barley ball logo on the sleeve instead, their 1997-99 set would have been flawless.

That was one of two changes I was hoping for - either that or put the Barrelman on the sleeve. Either would have been a huge upgrade to an already-great uniform. 

3 hours ago, Packid said:

Are there any photos of the Braves' pants?  I'm curious how the MLB logo will look with the triple piping.

Best I could find in 2 minutes.

Not sure if it's really even news worthy but the Padres will have matte navy helmets according to their Instagram.

IMO, the batterman logo on the pants is pretty harmless. The sublimated ST graphics are useless, but I think all team gear looks better overall. Much more like alternates as opposed to the piping and armpit-inserts of the last 5-10 years.

On 2/19/2016 at 3:35 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The sight of someone wearing a Yankee jersey that says "JETER 2" on the back is bad enough.  But when I see someone wearing a jersey lettered up to read "MANTLE 7" or even "RUTH 3" -- which I have actually seen, believe it or not -- I have to restrain myself from getting all in that person's face.  (If there were a uni jail, then these people would be the first ones thrown into it.)

Look, I get this. I do. But what I think most people fail to realize is that there is a $100 difference in jerseys with the name vs. without. Some people simply can't afford the extra $100 for the authentic, but they want a jersey. Want to complain about it? Complain to Majestic. But they won't stop putting the names on the replicas, I promise you that. Why? Because, then, to the average person who doesn't know about the stitched in pinstripes, the only difference is the batterman logo. So why would anyone buy an authentic? They wouldn't. 

2 minutes ago, Anubis2051 said:

Look, I get this. I do. But what I think most people fail to realize is that there is a $100 difference in jerseys with the name vs. without. Some people simply can't afford the extra $100 for the authentic, but they want a jersey. Want to complain about it? Complain to Majestic. But they won't stop putting the names on the replicas, I promise you that. Why? Because, then, to the average person who doesn't know about the stitched in pinstripes, the only difference is the batterman logo. So why would anyone buy an authentic? They wouldn't. 

I've saw replica jerseys at Laux in Buffalo with nnob. 

I really like the Pirates' yellow throwback. That is one nice uniform, and I really like how they will be wearing black pants instead of just white or grey. I wish more teams would wear pants that aren't always white or grey once in a while. 

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I really like the Pirates' yellow throwback. That is one nice uniform, and I really like how they will be wearing black pants instead of just white or grey. I wish more teams would wear pants that aren't always white or grey once in a while. 

MLB would certainly end up looking like beer league slo-pitch with black pants, monochrome uniforms... MLB was perfect and they now try to get as gimmicky as the other sports with panels, sublimation... Do we really want them to "innovate" with colored pants on top of that?