MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

13 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Is this a video game error, a combo I don't know about or remember, or something they might actually wear?

image.png

A bit of a mix... video games with the MLB license must represent uniforms exactly as the MLB Style Guide presents them. There are times when teams wear things contrary to what the style guide shows. Video games still must abide by the style guide for legal reasons.

The Rockies as we know, wear the black vest with the black undershirts. It's entirely possible though, that the MLB Style Guide says that the black vests are to be worn with purple undershirts, as they did in the above 2005 picture in San Francisco. But if the guide still shows purple undershirts then the video game must put purple undershirts in the game regardless of what the Rockies actually wear.

There's a whole bunch of controversies about errors and omissions in the style guide but it's what it is for the video games because of legal reasons.

Another style guide video game issue that's easy to understand that illustrates the disconnect between the video games and reality: we all know the Marlins have an orange cap that they no longer wear, yet it still "exists." In the MLB Style Guide the orange cap is paired with the Marlins orange jersey even though in reality the Marlins have always worn the orange jersey with their black cap. So in the video games, if you select the Marlins orange jersey it will (at least on the default setting) be always paired with the orange cap. It is, what it is.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The style guides are why for years during the Reds black phase they sold the gray jerseys with red sleeves, which is how they were intended to be worn when they were first released, which is why the vests always had a black cuff around the arm holes. The thing is the team literally never once appeared on the field in the gray vests with red undershirts. It was always black. For most of the 99 season they wore the black hats and black undershirts for both home and road. From 2000-2006 they wore the red hats and undershirts at home and black hats/shirts on the road. There was also a couple dumb periods when they wore black sleeves with red hats at home, which was the worst. Still they kept selling those gray jerseys with red sleeves and I even remember an N64 game where that's how their road uniforms were. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The style guide issue is even more upsetting since even though video games and other merchandising must abide by the guide, the teams themselves don't have to and thus there's a mix up between licensed things and what the teams actually wear.

I've also heard that many problems arise from the fact that teams aren't required to update their style guides. So the Rockies can wear black sleeves with the black vests all they want but if they never get around to updating their style guides then their black vests will always be represented with purple sleeves and thus everything will always look incorrect.

If the style guide is supposed to be the most accurate representation of MLB uniforms for licensing and merchandise then why aren't teams required to update their style guides?

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So does the new one.

productImages%2f_2336000%2fff_2336643_fu

It must be the lighting and the angle.  This one looks vaguely like a white P if you look closely, but the I swore it really looked white when I read through this thread earlier.

I guess it's time to get my 48-year-old eyes checked.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i wish that MLB would from July 1st to the Sunday before the All-Star game wear nothing but throwbacks (in case of new teams like the Nats, city baseball history, like the old Homestead Grays and old Washington Senators jerseys.  the Nats could also put on the sleeve the old Expo's logo during this time to recognize there past).  they can auction them off after for charity.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A bit of a mix... video games with the MLB license must represent uniforms exactly as the MLB Style Guide presents them. There are times when teams wear things contrary to what the style guide shows. Video games still must abide by the style guide for legal reasons.

The Rockies as we know, wear the black vest with the black undershirts. It's entirely possible though, that the MLB Style Guide says that the black vests are to be worn with purple undershirts, as they did in the above 2005 picture in San Francisco. But if the guide still shows purple undershirts then the video game must put purple undershirts in the game regardless of what the Rockies actually wear.

There's a whole bunch of controversies about errors and omissions in the style guide but it's what it is for the video games because of legal reasons.

Another style guide video game issue that's easy to understand that illustrates the disconnect between the video games and reality: we all know the Marlins have an orange cap that they no longer wear, yet it still "exists." In the MLB Style Guide the orange cap is paired with the Marlins orange jersey even though in reality the Marlins have always worn the orange jersey with their black cap. So in the video games, if you select the Marlins orange jersey it will (at least on the default setting) be always paired with the orange cap. It is, what it is.

Sort of...that Rockies screenshot is a mix-and-match uniform combination that's available in the game.  The uniforms are presented in the game according to the style guide, but actual gameplay does not require the player to have the team wear any actual uniform that is in the style guide - i.e., players can choose any combo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

It must be the lighting and the angle.  This one looks vaguely like a white P if you look closely, but the I swore it really looked white when I read through this thread earlier.

I guess it's time to get my 48-year-old eyes checked.

My 51 year old eyes see that as a white P with a yellow outline, also.  I can understand if that is just lighting - I really hope that's the case.

It's where I sit.

27 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

My 51 year old eyes see that as a white P with a yellow outline, also.  I can understand if that is just lighting - I really hope that's the case.

As long as it's not just me . . . 

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 hours ago, csura999 said:

It appears the Brewers have dropped their pants striping:

USATSI_9128671_1456173076291_32368277_ve

7354f8a06e5d1b09910f6a706700ddea.jpg

Yeah, that was reported above. Just awful. 

The Brewers already have near-perfect uniforms in their closets, but keep :censored: ing the bed in their attempts to avoid them.  

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, that was reported above. Just awful. 

The Brewers already have near-perfect uniforms in their closets, but keep :censored: ing the bed in their attempts to avoid them.  

Any chance this could be a set of pants that would only be worn with this jersey? I know these must be their new standards but one can only hope...

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The style guides are why for years during the Reds black phase they sold the gray jerseys with red sleeves, which is how they were intended to be worn when they were first released, which is why the vests always had a black cuff around the arm holes. The thing is the team literally never once appeared on the field in the gray vests with red undershirts. It was always black. For most of the 99 season they wore the black hats and black undershirts for both home and road. From 2000-2006 they wore the red hats and undershirts at home and black hats/shirts on the road. There was also a couple dumb periods when they wore black sleeves with red hats at home, which was the worst. Still they kept selling those gray jerseys with red sleeves and I even remember an N64 game where that's how their road uniforms were. 

Was there a style guide that showed the red shirts with the road grays?  I had always bee under the impression that the plan from the start was to wear red undershirts at home and black on the road.  That's the way they had them set up at the unveiling and it was the only combo on display.  I, too, was always puzzled as to why the road replicas were made with red (sewn-in) sleeves.

010399uniformsall_511x500.jpg

This article from the Enquirer stated "Players also can opt for a red or black undershirt (with a matching belt), though the former was meant to be worn at home."

As for the black armbands on the gray jerseys, I've read somewhere since 1999 that they were just a nod to the 1961-66 models.  In March 1961 (the first year black was added to the team's uniforms), club owner Powell Crosley passed away, so the team wore a black arm band on one side only.  

Click to go back

Somebody apparently liked the way it looked, because the next season they added a black arm band to both sides, where it remained until they changed uniforms in 1967.

Click to go back

1.  I'm also fooled by the Pirates cap.  Every shot of it (albeit there aren't many great ones) makes it look like the P is white.  I was convinced of it, but I've seen a few shots of the original that also appear that way (and I know the original was solid yellow) so I'll assume it's a product of the way the light hits the stitching and the way the P is sewn on.  So I'll go with it being yellow, until better pictures come out.  They're not selling it yet so it's not possible to see it in the on-line store.

2.  It's very disappointing, because it's not really a pill-box cap.  It's not flat at all.  It looks like it fits just like a regular cap, which is going to look pretty stupid in action.  I hope they can reinforce the structural part of it so it has that flat appearance.

3.  Just browsing their site looking for pics, I have to say that the Pirates have one of the most underrated (or at least under-promoted) uniforms in sports.  Their standard cap is a total classic, but because they play in Pittsburgh and therefore won't ever get the kind of national exposure that most other teams do (plus they sucked for 25 years), I don't think it's viewed that way.  I put them and the SFGiants in the same class.  Classic teams that F'd around in the '70s but have returned to traditional amazing looks featuring bold secondary colors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  I'm also fooled by the Pirates cap.  Every shot of it (albeit there aren't many great ones) makes it look like the P is white.  I was convinced of it, but I've seen a few shots of the original that also appear that way (and I know the original was solid yellow) so I'll assume it's a product of the way the light hits the stitching and the way the P is sewn on.  So I'll go with it being yellow, until better pictures come out.  They're not selling it yet so it's not possible to see it in the on-line store.

2.  It's very disappointing, because it's not really a pill-box cap.  It's not flat at all.  It looks like it fits just like a regular cap, which is going to look pretty stupid in action.  I hope they can reinforce the structural part of it so it has that flat appearance.

3.  Just browsing their site looking for pics, I have to say that the Pirates have one of the most underrated (or at least under-promoted) uniforms in sports.  Their standard cap is a total classic, but because they play in Pittsburgh and therefore won't ever get the kind of national exposure that most other teams do (plus they sucked for 25 years), I don't think it's viewed that way.  I put them and the SFGiants in the same class.  Classic teams that F'd around in the '70s but have returned to traditional amazing looks featuring bold secondary colors.

also doesnt help that they almost always wear black with the terrible alt hats, and almost never their fantastic home whites and road greys with their classic hat

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 2/18/2016 at 2:15 PM, BJ Sands said:

To add to BBTV's point, the hat really looks non-pillboxy (?) in the McCutchen pictures.

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Sort of...that Rockies screenshot is a mix-and-match uniform combination that's available in the game.  The uniforms are presented in the game according to the style guide, but actual gameplay does not require the player to have the team wear any actual uniform that is in the style guide - i.e., players can choose any combo.

Yes in the game you can choose any combination of a cap, a jersey top, and pants. But I think the original question was more about the black jersey being used with the purple undershirt though I could be wrong. You can't change the color of the undershirt that goes with the black vest so I was moreso responding to why the game had the purple undershirt with the black vest even though the Rockies haven't worn that for almost 11 years.

11 hours ago, DiePerske said:

also doesnt help that they almost always wear black with the terrible alt hats, and almost never their fantastic home whites and road greys with their classic hat

This, a million time this. Their regular uniforms are fantastic. It's a damn tragedy that they wear their alts so much...

Archived