MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

9 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

So, an interesting realization I had regarding the new Spring Training/BP uniforms: This is potential great news for the WBC. 

With few exceptions (Japan, notably) the WBC teams have been bogged down by bad paint-by-numbers BP templates for their game jerseys all year. This development could mean a return to the 2006 style where teams basically did whatever they wanted, which, IMHO, was much better looking.

Case in point, 2013:

940-dominican-republic-wbc-8col.jpgWorld+Baseball+Classic+Second+Round+Miam11phoenix2-img-articleLarge.jpg

2009:

hanley-reyes-wbc.jpg85388878-adam-dunn-of-the-usa-congratula85389756-miguel-ojeda-of-mexico-is-congr

And 2006:

09ussa583.jpgBMM10230-575x356.jpg57313399-italian-mike-piazza-is-announce71008377-carlos-zambrano-of-venezuela-pi57022855.jpg

Wow, excellent post. I knew about the BP template being used in the WBC but I hadn't realized how it clearly got worse/more intrusive and limiting over time.

So you're predicting the next WBC has more classic uniforms... but I offer this counterpoint... maybe the 2017 WBC will have uniforms with subliminated patterns on the shoulders, backs, sides, lower pant legs, and top of the caps for every country! Maybe sleeve piping that doesn't go around the entire sleeve? Maybe pants piping that abruptly stops 3/4 of the way up the leg!

GASP!!! THE HORROR!!!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

but I offer this counterpoint... maybe the 2017 WBC will have uniforms with subliminated patterns on the shoulders, backs, sides, lower pant legs, and top of the caps for every country! Maybe sleeve piping that doesn't go around the entire sleeve? Maybe pants piping that abruptly stops 3/4 of the way up the leg!

GASP!!! THE HORROR!!!

I still can't believe MLB got to that point...

The WBC jerseys have also been used as test-runs for certain Majestic design elements.  The 2009 USA colored underarms gussets were so poorly received that they were dropped from consideration from any MLB jerseys (that white USA jersey is standard COOLBASE, not a BP like the navy one).  In 2013, most of the teams just wore some version of the BP template that MLB rolled out to all the teams in 2014.  So maybe it'll be the next iteration of their template.  Or it'll be goofy like the D-Backs.  Majestic also rolls out their templates in the form of the All-Star BP jerseys, so look for that too.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

After looking for pics and video from the DET-NYY game yesterday, I was able to glean the following:

1. The Yankees had no signs of gussets or panels, so that's good.

2. Most of the players appeared to be wearing the new even-spaced button pattern, and I'm assuming (for now) that's all Flex Base.

3. The guy who scored the winning run was wearing an uneven-spaced button pattern, so he was probably wearing an old jersey (not uncommon for ST).

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/video/topic/26650342/v545517083/detnyy-yankees-complete-comeback-win-on-an-error

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

On 28/02/2016 at 0:25 PM, Gehrig27 said:

Scanning through some of the spring photos and it does appear that the Yankees have switched to cool-base home uniforms. You can see the material better up close, and that they still maintain a pseudo-stitched look to the pinstripes. If they were finally making the switch at least they have done it the "right" way, because there are no missing pinstripes in any sort of side panel. I didn't go through all the players/coaches to see if this was team wide or still personal choice. Has anybody had a look at what the Blue Jays are doing yet?

yankeecoolbase.png

The Jays caved and finally gave up on the double knits, they are using Flex Base for 2016.  *sad trombone*

The fact that the Yankees are still able to avoid the side and lower back mesh panels makes this even worse.

banners

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Some interesting comments from Majestic. No idea what the special event note means, but take it for what it's worth, straight from the manufacturer.

I'm going to, until proven otherwise, take it as Majestic insisting that the Yankees aren't getting special treatment, even though they are. We will see though. 

I wouldn't be surprised however, if the road greys were pure flexbase and the homes were special. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The thing that gets me is that Majestic directly acknowledged those photo day jerseys and said they aren't what will be worn this season. However, I'm clueless what they mean by it being a "special event jersey for later in the season."

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

If they did, why aren't the Mets '86 throwbacks this same "special" template?

Good point, although majestic could be using it as an excuse to quell people complaining about the Yankees getting special treatment.

Why do the Yankees deserve special treatment when it comes to their home uniforms?  The pinstripes are near-universally regarded as the best or at least most iconic uniform in the sports.  They market around it.  One can argue that, but they're definitely the ones most famous for wearing pinstripes.  At the risk of having an unpopular opinion, I don't think an additional seam here and there really makes or breaks a solid-color uniform.  I think it can easily be said that pinstripe uniforms are the ones who are suffering the most here.

Do I think this is fair?  I think the Mets are the second best look, and their pinstripes are being screwed up.  The Phillies and White Sox are beautiful.  The Rockies could use some more purple, but I think they should focus on the cap and that would be fine, so the jersey is fine.

They also have a much more traditional and change-resistant franchise.  They base everything on history and wearing the same look for so long, even if that's not necessarily true.  That and their huge amount of money to throw around, I could definitely understand them getting special treatment.  I do wish they'd stop screwing up everyone else, though.

spacer.png

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

For all we know.... the Yankees are using Flexbase.

They could just be using a different template for the pinstripes. 

1. So far, there's only been one template: panels as sweat tails.

2. All the other pinstripe unis are in the same template.

3. If the Yankees don't have to wear the Majestic logo on their sleeve, I don't see what difference it would make if they got a special panel-less template jersey.  It's already been established that the Yankees don't adhere to the same set of rules as the other 29 teams.

We're gonna have to keep an eye on this.  I'll be tuned in Opening Day v Houston to see.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

2 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Do I think this is fair?  I think the Mets are the second best look, and their pinstripes are being screwed up.  The Phillies and White Sox are beautiful.  The Rockies could use some more purple, but I think they should focus on the cap and that would be fine, so the jersey is fine.

The Phils and White Sox don't have the panels?

That is the ultimate "screw you" to the Mets..."Oh no. this is the only template we have" meanwhile your closest rival(s) get preferential treatment?

YVRMUBj.png

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The Phils and White Sox don't have the panels?

That is the ultimate "screw you" to the Mets..."Oh no. this is the only template we have" meanwhile your closest rival(s) get preferential treatment?

I'm just talking about how even though people hold the Yankees' pinstripes to a higher standards, these other pinstripe uniforms are things of beauty and don't deserve blank panels.

As for the Mets, this is a slap in the face, certainly.   It sucks that they have to deal with this.   However, the lack of a Majestic logo is because the Yankees pay them off to not have it, right?   It results in the same issue that people here complain about constantly with the Mets.   They're not a small market team.   They're in the biggest market in the sport.   But the Wilpons just don't want to shell out the money.   They've made some moves the last two season, but that's recently.   The Wilpons could easily pay Majestic off, but they just don't care.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Is this a sign of a minor Braves tweak? The road script has always had an altered "A" compared to the cap version, which was skinnier and vertically stretched. However, the replicas used the normal "A." Now we've got our first look at the FlexBase authentics and it uses the true "A."

FlexBase 2016

ff_2342775alt2_full.jpg&

CoolBase

171829.gif

They've already shown they're willing to standardize their marks based on the helmet logos.

14294234874_14877d622b_o.png

Archived