MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Anyone know the translations?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Korean ones are basically literal spelling translations "다저스" roughly comes out to Dodgers (Da-jeo-seu) and "메츠" is a really rough translations of Mets (me-cheu). I'm pretty sure the Japanese are the same way, because they used the "foreign language" Japanese alphabet and not the Chinese characters or the native Japanese alphabet.

EDIT: Looking at the Dodgers again, I'm pretty impressed how they incorporated the tail. "ㅡ" is a letter but it fits perfectly as the beginning of the tail.

Maybe it's obvious but just wanted to point out that, at least in my eyes, the strength of those Asian jerseys is that they're basically the exact same jerseys only with the Asian characters/font/alphabet being used. Every other element is the same. They didn't go out of their way to add extraneous elements for the sake of making it look unique. You look at it and despite most of us not being able to read what it says, you immediately know "That's a Mets jersey!" or whatever team it is. I have no clue what the Mets jersey specifically says. I, as an American, can't even guarantee you that it says some translation of the word Mets... but when I see the white jersey with royal blue pinstripes and a slanted royal blue wordmark with an orange outline... I instantly recognize it as a Mets jersey. The same for the other jerseys and that right there is why these things work.

So are you saying that the wordmarks translate to roughly the phonetic equivalent, but aren't actual words?

I guess that's one way of doing it.  For something like Dodgers, I thought they'd use actual words or phrases like (assuming "dodger" isn't a Korean word) "one who is moving away from an oncoming vehicle or obstacle" which I'm assuming could be represented in a handful of characters.  I really have no idea though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think trying to translate names like that directly kind of misses the point (especially with "Dodgers", which has become completely devoid of any context and is just a word we recognize as the name of the team).  Rather than stumbling over trying to translate sometimes-obscure concepts into the new language, they just become loanwords.

But Japanese does have a word for "tiger".  And that word could replace the Old English "D" on the front of Detroit's jerseys.

tora.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Interesting, thanks.

Can you help us with that Cubs jersey?  Am curious to see how they handle teams with more translation-friendly names.  Tigers, Brewers, Angels, Twins, Pirates and the lot.  

As a Korean myself, I speak Korean fluently and know how to read some Japanese.

the Cubs one says カブス (Ka Bu Su), using katakana writing system which is used for foreign words.

Dodgers one says 다저스 (Da Jeo Seu) & Mets one says 메츠 (Me Cheu) which are rough translations more so what Koreans would call the teams since we don't call teams by what they would really be translated to, for example Chicago Cubs in Korean would roughly be translated to 시카고 컵스 (Shi Ka Go Kub Seu) but a Cub in actual Korean would be 새끼 곰 (saekki gom) or 애기 곰 (aegi gom). 

Phillies フイリーズ (Fu i ri i zu)

Astros アストロス (A su to ro su)

Royals ロイヤルズ (Ro i ya ru zu)

i-pV9jNCQ-XL.png

21 hours ago, daveindc said:

Is baseball as popular in those countries as Japan and Korea? Maybe that's why they just went with those two.

I remember watching China play Taiwan in baseball in the 2008 Olympics in China, and realising that this really is a new era for the spread of the game.

Still, the popularity of baseball in China is nowhere near what it is in Japan and Korea.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So are you saying that the wordmarks translate to roughly the phonetic equivalent, but aren't actual words?

I guess that's one way of doing it.  For something like Dodgers, I thought they'd use actual words or phrases like (assuming "dodger" isn't a Korean word) "one who is moving away from an oncoming vehicle or obstacle" which I'm assuming could be represented in a handful of characters.  I really have no idea though.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Interesting, thanks.

Can you help us with that Cubs jersey?  Am curious to see how they handle teams with more translation-friendly names.  Tigers, Brewers, Angels, Twins, Pirates and the lot.  

The Korean ones are for sure (I am learning Korean, so I can read that one), and I assume the Japanese are the same way, because what I knew about their language is that there are three ways to write, more common words use Chinese characters (which the Cubs jersey is not in), another alphabet used for only Japanese words (which the jerseys are not in) and an alphabet used only for phonetic translations, which is what the jerseys are in. 

The Cubs still in the "foreign alphabet", which means the name hasn't been translated into an equivalent Japanese word. Part of the reason that it may not (pure speculation) is that it would use simplified Chinese characters, which then confuses westerners into thinking it's a Chinese jersey.

EDIT: I see a more knowledgeable member answered this already. 

Look for them to pair that with the brown jersey by the end of May.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived