MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

28 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Everything about the Rays is horrendous. The organization, the identity (after the color change and name change), and the lack of a fanbase makes the franchise a waste.

Just curious, have you ever been to a Rays game? In Tampa, for that matter.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2016 at 10:48 AM, DAKINS24 said:

So I guess it's 2014 again?  I was much happier with the 2015 design.  I miss the diamond background of the late 1980's-1990's.

I thought last years playoff logos were great. Simple but nice. 

This looks like they didn't have access to illustrator.

I actually don't mind this at all.  It's not amazing or anything, but it's simple.  Font is terrible and the shadow is kinda janky, but I mean it's just kinda...fine.  I guess. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

10 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Everything about the Rays is horrendous. The organization, the identity (after the color change and name change), and the lack of a fanbase makes the franchise a waste.

10 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

i was going to respond with a nice statement, but then I realized there's no changing someone who probably doesn't live here and just sucks into the typical media bias.

To say that the Rays are a fiasco is not buying into media bias.  It is a fact.  

The team has been last in attendance for the last four years.  Of course, someone has to be last; so that in itself isn't necessarily damning.  But then we look at the trajectory:

2008: 22,370 per game

2009: 23,148

2010: 22,758    

2011: 23,025

2012: 19,255

2013: 18,646

2014: 17,858
2015: 15,322

That's not just last. That's last and sinking fast!

Furthermore, those figures of 22,000 and 23,000 per game in their pennant-winning year and the next two years represent the high point in the team's history, apart from its inaugural season.  They've actually had a couple of seasons with attendance low as 13,000 per game.

To put that in context, consider that the Tampa Bay Storm of the Arena Football League have averaged more than 13,000 fans per game in 14 of their 24 season. Last year, the Storm, despite a losing record, averaged more than 12,000 fans per game, or 80% of the Rays' total.  Let us remember that, from 1991 to 1996, the Storm played in the same building in which the Rays have played since their inception in 1998. And in four of those six Storm seasons, the team averaged more fans per game than the Rays did last year.  (In the other two seasons, the Storm came pretty close, missing the Rays' 2015 average by about 800 one time and by about 150 another time.)

So, it's not that the fans in that area are unwilling to support any team.  It's that they don't care specifically about the Rays.

I would say that the Rays should be moved to Montreal if I didn't fear some Browns/Hornets-style violence to franchise history (despite baseball's own past containing the correct way of handling the matter, with the two Washington Senators teams). Maybe Puerto Rico should be the new home of this team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

48 minutes ago, dont care said:

true and the area around the park is probably the worst in the whole bay region

I found the area around the trop to be kinda nice... a few nice shops and restaurants only a few blocks away. The Trop gets a bad rep concourses are big enough and it has decent food. I know domes are not ideal for baseball but it gets hot in the Florida summer.

12 hours ago, Bucs007 said:

The Rays are in the top half of MLB in terms of TV ratings. They play in a silo in a place that's hard to get from a huge chunk of the TB region. 

http://www.raysindex.com/2015/06/tampa-bay-rays-attendance-tv-ratings.html

Draw a circle within 25 miles of Tropicana Field, how much of it is water?  Thus, not much population in the area.

It's kind of weird that the two MLB stadiums named for juice companies (and thus invoking the outdoors) are pretty much fully enclosed warehouses (one's retractable).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Orange Juice = Florida = company based just outside of Tampa in Bradenton...

Not anymore.  Maybe when the naming deal runs out, the stadium will switch to Citrus World/Florida's Natural.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Draw a circle within 25 miles of Tropicana Field, how much of it is water?  Thus, not much population in the area.

That sounds like more of an argument that they should have never placed a team there to begin with.  I'm not complaining or anything, I think it's great they have a team there, but blaming poor attendance on lack of population doesn't sound like a good defense for the survival of a team.

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It's kind of weird that the two MLB stadiums named for juice companies (and thus invoking the outdoors) are pretty much fully enclosed warehouses (one's retractable).

They don't name stadiums for the way they look or the feelings they evoke, they name them in a way that they will make the most money.

I don't think the Sacramento Kings are exactly thrilled about playing in an arena called "Sleep Train Arena," but in most cases, money talks louder than what "sounds like an appropriate name for the venue."

On March 10, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Bmac said:

The Brewers owner is wearing a yellow shirt today in the booth and said most of the employees are as well. You've got to think they're well on their way to using yellow instead of gold. The Spring Training set looks great with the yellow and navy.

Actually it look like brown yellow and orange

1 hour ago, Packid said:

So the Padres go to a blue and gold color scheme at home specifically to commemorate the ASG, make the ASG logo blue and gold, and then roll out brown and gold jerseys.  Wow.

It's the Padres, would you expect anything less?

Archived