Bucfan56

MLB 2016 Changes

28 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I definitely tend to favor primaries in all sports...and white vs. gray in MLB.  With 162 games, though, I certainly feel there is room for some use of alts.  And I do like some.  Seeing the A's wear a solid green jersey on occasion can add some color, if you will, to the season.  That said, I feel that MLB is all about tradition and I'd really rather see primaries in the postseason.  If it were up to me, we'd have rigid rules:

• One alternate jersey.
  • Limit of 16 games per team to wear an alt (i.e., 10%)
  • Home team's choice.  That is, if the home team wears an alt, the road team cannot.  No color vs. color.  I have been to a navy-vs-navy MLB game and it was terrible to look at.  I know it's not basketball, but there really is no reason that should ever happen.  And red vs. navy may not be as bad, but I'd rather not even draw the line.
  • No alternates in the postseason. Red/white/blue bunting and white and gray uniforms.

Additional rule: get those awful patches off the caps in the post-season.  No mucking up the caps with big bulky logos on the side -- which is especially inappropriate during the marquee events.  

2 hours ago, Packid said:

Giants are going with matte helmets.

I actually think it works pretty well for the Giants. It really makes the orange logo pop. 

Not sure who the brainiac was that thought wearing the Blue ALT with Sliver lettering THE SAME DAY as the Royals wearing their Gold lettering was a good idea. Might as well wear a patch on the side that says "2015 WORLD SERIES RUNNER-UPS".

1 hour ago, r22weiss said:

Indians wearing red socks with the stripes at home. Not sure if this is full time or not. 

lindorsantana.jpg

Yes,they are wearing these the whole season. 

15 minutes ago, insert name said:

Not sure who the brainiac was that thought wearing the Blue ALT with Sliver lettering THE SAME DAY as the Royals wearing their Gold lettering was a good idea. Might as well wear a patch on the side that says "2015 WORLD SERIES RUNNER-UPS".

Not exactly the worst thing, and even if they wore normal uniforms, most fans would know the Mets were runners-up.

I get the reasons but there's no way MLB will ever have actual rulings to when an alternate can and cannot be worn. There's money to be made in alternate jerseys whether we like it or not. They will not create rules that will get in the way of seeing alternate jerseys. I just wish teams used more common sense on the matter but rigid rules will never happen.

Phillies' script appears mildly different on their jerseys today. Squattier, bolder than in years past... can't quite pinpoint but it's different. 

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

Yes,they are wearing these the whole season. 

I guess it must be a last minute addition since the team did say that the blue socks with stripes was their socks for this year and red was out. I guess red for home and blue for road then?

7 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

I guess it must be a last minute addition since the team did say that the blue socks with stripes was their socks for this year and red was out. I guess red for home and blue for road then?

I don't know, but that is my guess. For opening day (which is tomorrow for Cleveland now) they usually wear their cream alternates, so maybe the red socks with stripes were for that. 

34 minutes ago, BroadSt_Bully said:

Phillies' script appears mildly different on their jerseys today. Squattier, bolder than in years past... can't quite pinpoint but it's different. 

Hate it. Looks like the crappy retail version.

image.jpeg

11 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

Hate it. Looks like the crappy retail version.

image.jpeg

Good call. I suppose it now matches the full diamond logo, but it was one of those quirks that looked much better left as was, like the Flyers' crest. 

Paul Lukas says that Cleveland will be wearing 1977 throwbacks at some point in the season.  I hope that someone notices that the hat from that set would be perfect for current use, and would be far better than the block C.

eck-manning-robinson-cap.jpg.3a61b798b43

Looks like the Twins added the red outlines on NOB on their road uniforms for this season. I added a picture from last year for a good comparison.

12961515_10154073525279841_4904478612436033060_n.jpg

8540274.jpg

What a poor decision. This change is supposed to make it look like the front with the wordmark but it just makes it look more muddled 

So the Rockies were wearing last years BP jersey today for warmups, via their snapchat, but this years BP caps. Strange. 

On this pace, every MLB team will have a matte batting helmet.

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

What a poor decision. This change is supposed to make it look like the front with the wordmark but it just makes it look more muddled 

Agreed.  Needless clutter. 

37 minutes ago, roxfan00 said:

Rockies going with new black matte helmets tonight.

CfO9duMUMAAO_xy.jpg

I don't like this matte helmet trend, but these are tons better than the softball helmets. 

b97d4c61e2357cb5c8a31e3aa9e98336.jpg