MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I am digging my Mets in their '86 Throwbacks.  They need to return back to the blue button on the cap.

Now, if The Mets could just produce some runs. ?⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️

Is it me or were the collars too thick? 

On 4/8/2016 at 11:08 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Shameless self-plug alert: I made this concept a while ago, but I think it works well as an update of the maroon-era Phillies. It uses the current uniform template, along with the Padres 2004-2011 number font (which I felt fit with the script's aesthetic style):

11343367416_d5f0a74233_b.jpg

I also tried to create a middle ground between the red and maroon shades on an updated Whiz Kids set that disposed of some of the lesser elements of the current set (i.e. that number font and cap logo):

20664866651_e4a9c4f7dd_b.jpg

I'd love for the Phillies to entertain the maroon-era a lot more, albeit only as an alternate/with an incorporation into a Whiz Kids-esque set.

I like both these concepts. The powder blue is subtle enough to work perfectly on the maroon set.

But even though I think red & powder blue is an underrated color combo (love the Houston Oilers stuff) I don't think it works as well on the red one, either stick with royal or drop the blue altogether.

18 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The Phillies wordmark change is pickin up steam!

http://www.phillyvoice.com/phillies-jersey-top-altered-copy-new-alternate-jersey/

Seriously, I dont like it, go back to the thinner script you guys were using before.

In that it says they made it bigger because the red jersey has the outline around it, ummm but so does the cream jersey they have had since 08, so why make a change now?

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Is it me or were the collars too thick? 

I think you are correct.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Re: Phillies - seeing the home on TV right now for first time. It actually looks better on TV than the previous script. Side by side in person, I like the thinner one, but the new one stands out more against the pinstripes when viewed on the screen and honestly doesn't appear to be that much different in action. 

I didn't expect to have that opinion. I figured I'd hate it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know everyone was curious about the new Majestic Flex Base jerseys and specifically how they would look on pinstripe jerseys so I thought I would share. I purchased this Eric Young (he's now a first base coach for the Rox) jersey that was used during the home opener. The panels are a little over the top, specifically the tail panel but I don't think they affect the on-field product too much.

The tail panel in the first picture.

The new lighter name and numbers (same twill just kiss cut now) and the new plastic MLB logo in the second.

The side panel and how it interacts with the pinstripes in the third.

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

My team, the lowly 0-5 Braves...who also warmed up the pen in the bottom of the 1st, are debuting the new away script. I like the changes. All of the scripts now match the print versions, rather than the goofy, subtly different embroidered versions of years past.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks awful.  Way too much gray space around the A, doesn't match the rest of the wordmark, which are evenly and closely spaced. 

I swear, the Braves were the best-looking team in the 90s, but have been steadily chipping away at their uniform, one downgrade at a time. And all the changes have been downgrades. 

1 hour ago, kcchiefsfan said:

I know everyone was curious about the new Majestic Flex Base jerseys and specifically how they would look on pinstripe jerseys so I thought I would share. I purchased this Eric Young (he's now a first base coach for the Rox) jersey that was used during the home opener. The panels are a little over the top, specifically the tail panel but I don't think they affect the on-field product too much.

The tail panel in the first picture.

The new lighter name and numbers (same twill just kiss cut now) and the new plastic MLB logo in the second.

The side panel and how it interacts with the pinstripes in the third.

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

So why the hell are the Rockies settling for white side panels, now that the Yankees have shown that they're optional?

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That looks awful.  Way too much gray space around the A, doesn't match the rest of the wordmark, which are evenly and closely spaced. 

I swear, the Braves were the best-looking team in the 90s, but have been steadily chipping away at their uniform, one downgrade at a time. And all the changes have been downgrades. 

The new A and the solid navy cap totally ruin an otherwise awesome set.

Disliking the new "A" would infer to me that the cap "A" shouldn't be part of the script. The previous "A" in the script clearly clashed with the cap logo but flowed with the entire script. The new one is a perfect match with the cap logo but is much wider than the rest of the letters in the script.

image.jpeg

I have no problem with them using two slightly different "A"s for different applications.

Many cap letter logos would look stupid as part of a wordmark - the requirements for looking good by itself on a cap are just too different from looking good as part of a script. 

Though the capital A looks terrible, the lower case a on the buttons looks 100x better.  Interesting how the t's and the l are much smaller.  The Braves really made some modifications to that away script.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

So why the hell are the Rockies settling for white side panels, now that the Yankees have shown that they're optional?

Because the Yankees are the only team that deeply cares about how it looks. They previously resisted the template dugout jackets and the crappy S&S caps as long as baseball allowed. The Yankees are surely paying extra to have the side panels removed (as well as the manufacturer logo), but it's worth it.

The rest of the teams in sports say, "Eh, close enough" when given designs which are altered due to either manufacturer laziness (Jets, Colts) or specifically to highlight a manufacturer's template (Saints' collars, Grizzlies' numbers).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

3 hours ago, kcchiefsfan said:

The Rockies have used kiss cut name and number for a long time.  I had a jersey lettered by the team store at Coors Field back in 2006 or 7 and they were kiss cut even back then.

Archived