MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2016 at 6:41 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Considering that you specified no time scale, the odds are 1:1. 

So the meaningful question becomes "when?", the answer to which is "as soon as they can get away with it".

After NBA uniform ads become a normal part of the landscape, and after a large portion of NBA fans no longer even remember uniforms without ads, there will come a time when observers will begin to wonder out loud why baseball teams don't do this same obvious thing and use uniforms ads as well.  Anyone who opposes ads on baseball uniforms will be treated dismissively and will be ridiculed as "out of touch".  Owners in Major League Baseball will take note of this shift, and will act to establish this new revenue stream.

While it is impossible to say at exactly what point Major League Baseball will add advertisements to the uniforms, what we know for sure is that the NBA's decision moves that day significantly closer.  

Wow...  That really depressed me for a day.  Good day to do it.  Just now getting the wind back in my sails.  It's also sad to hear that my brethren are such a point of distaste for you.  And I can only imagine what you must think of the game now with the Astros move.

Also as we continue, I must throw in that each post just seems to add a new level of interesting.  I vote Ferdinand Cesarano for SL.N Most Interesting Man in the Boards.

On 4/17/2016 at 9:50 PM, TampaBayEverybodyLovesRays said:

A couple of thoughts:

1.  I miss the days when MLB would just put the US/Canadian flag on the side of caps.  Sigh.

2.  I do not like the Phillies' red alt.  Looks too much like spring training to me.

Eh.  I'm kind of glad in a way, because if they want to market to the max, and make sure every special day has its own uniform, I'd prefer that they reserve this treatment for the day it's used now, September 11th.

On another note, while I eschewed this argument earlier because it seemed to pass, Jackie Robinson Day has renewed my vigor on the NOB vs. NNOB debate.  While, of course, the vertical location of the number isn't always in the right spot, it seems hard to argue the clean look of these numbers, with even cluttered looks looking so much better without the smaller lettering trying to keep up with the outlining and either giving a contrast that clashes or just skipping it outright.

AP488988014237-1024x625.jpg

jays421.jpg

gal-jackie60th-4-jpg.jpg

jackie-robinson-day.jpg

041514-Jackie-Robinson-Day-CH-G10.vnocro

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those look so much cleaner than having a name on the back. It really is a great look, especially for teams that already have classic and/or fairly simple uniforms, like the Cubs and Blue Jays in the above pics.

12 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Still owned (and sitting about 10 feet away from me in my office), but probably not worn since the 80s . . .

CIMG3023.jpg

I also have a Stars cap which I have had since about 1984, but which I don't know if I have worn more than once or twice. It is a painter's cap.

57158bce16ce0_Starspaintercap.png.3ff71a

I also have painter's caps from the Michigan Panthers and the Birmingham Stallions. These odd items were sitting at a sporting goods store back then; so I picked them up, despite the fact that they don't really look good when worn.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

19 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I wish they'd just have everyone wear a small 42 patch on their jersey and stop having everyone wear the number.

I used to think this way until someone pointed out that every person who put on a uniform on Jackie Robinson day was an equal and that it showed that anyone, no matter your race, sexual orientation or religion, is a Major League Baseball player.

Now I have no problem with it...

On 4/13/2016 at 0:44 PM, kroywen said:

These special event jerseys are getting to be NBA-level bad. Do we really need special (and hideous) uniforms for every single national holiday?

God damn the economy and its "make money everywhere" approach....the Mother's and Father's Day uniforms are unnecessary. Before you know it, we'll be having unique one-day-only uniforms for National Hamburger Day

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I used to think this way until someone pointed out that every person who put on a uniform on Jackie Robinson day was an equal and that it showed that anyone, no matter your race, sexual orientation or religion, is a Major League Baseball player.

Now I have no problem with it...

So they're not equals the other 179 days of the season?  Only on Jackie Robinson Day? ^_^

The 42's with NNOB look nice, but part of it is the power of the number.  We don't need a NOB to understand the significance.  

But if every team regularly wore NNOB with assigned numbers, it'd look like a bunch of minor league teams and hand-me-downs.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I also have a Stars cap which I have had since about 1984, but which I don't know if I have worn more than once or twice. It is a painter's cap.

57158bce16ce0_Starspaintercap.png.3ff71a

I also have painter's caps from the Michigan Panthers and the Birmingham Stallions. These odd items were sitting at a sporting goods store back then; so I picked them up, despite the fact that they don't really look good when worn.

Ahh, yes . . . the brief, unlamented painter's cap era of the early-mid 80s.  I had a Maryland painter's cap that I wore more than I should probably admit.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 4/17/2016 at 0:34 PM, insert name said:

Was there a uniform mistake?

More than likely King Felix is just very particular about his jersey.  He might not like the feeling of the material.  I don't seem to remember him ever wearing COOLBASE before.  I think (could be wrong tho) he sstrongly preferred the doubleknit.

There are some examples of pitchers getting special treatment like this.  Cliff Lee wore a special set of doubleknit jerseys when he pitched for the Rangers (they were already 100% COOLBASE), and Aaron Harang had a doubleknit Braves jersey when he was in Atlanta.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

On 4/18/2016 at 7:20 PM, phutmasterflex said:

Chicago+White+Sox+v+Oakland+Athletics+Da

Under Bud, teams were "discouraged" from wearing similar color alts.  CHW, ATL, and SD would ignore the recommendations regularly because they like wearing their dark alts so much.  I guess that suggestion is out the window under Manfred.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Since the Dodgers intorduced  the grey alternates with Dodgers script, theyve been a hit

in 2014 they wore them sparingly the forst part of the year then went nearly every game to end the season in them. Ditto for last year, and both include the playoffs

this year 8 road games in, thats all theyve worn

safe to say these are the new roadies and the Los Angeles script are the alts, and I wonder if theyll even be worn at all this year 

On 18/04/2016 at 7:00 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

jays421.jpg

This looks so wrong.  Unless it's a throwback to the 1977-1979 teams (which, why would you?), the Jays need the NOB.  As I've said before, this just looks unfinished, and little league.

banners

I like having names on the back. It shows that you've reached the highest level of baseball in the world and you get to represent not only yourself, but your family name, by having it on the back of your jersey. What an honor that must be. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Certain teams with certain histories are fine with NNOB. But if everyone does it, like this day, it just doesn't look great. 

2 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I like having names on the back. It shows that you've reached the highest level of baseball in the world and you get to represent not only yourself, but your family name, by having it on the back of your jersey. What an honor that must be. 

I agree with this. One of the reasons why I like NOB is because of this. Some teams are so much bigger with history (like the Yankees) that NNOB works for them. But for most teams, that's not the case. 

Go A's!

2 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Good point. Every kid who plays sports fantasizes about playing in the pros with their name on the back of the jersey.

14 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Certain teams with certain histories are fine with NNOB. But if everyone does it, like this day, it just doesn't look great. 

I agree with this. One of the reasons why I like NOB is because of this. Some teams are so much bigger with history (like the Yankees) that NNOB works for them. But for most teams, that's not the case. 

Forget the career he had... Derek Jeter did NOT deserve to represent his family and all his personal accomplishments because he played on the Yankees!

On 20/4/2016 at 8:03 AM, HighCheese said:

Since the Dodgers intorduced  the grey alternates with Dodgers script, theyve been a hit

in 2014 they wore them sparingly the forst part of the year then went nearly every game to end the season in them. Ditto for last year, and both include the playoffs

this year 8 road games in, thats all theyve worn

safe to say these are the new roadies and the Los Angeles script are the alts, and I wonder if theyll even be worn at all this year 

A shame, i like the Los Angeles script better.

Archived