MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

14 hours ago, kroywen said:

I generally don't put much stock into these types of gestures, but it does seem that the Rays are donating proceeds to the victims and their families, and are helping galvanize some fundraising efforts amongst fans in attendance at this game, so I can't fault them either.

The bolded portion is precisely why I'm hoping some teams use this (and the coincidentally coinciding Pride Month) to emphasize solidarity with the LGBT community in the wake of this tragedy, and to show outreach and support to LGBT fans. Homophobia is unfortunately a bit more accepted in men's professional sports in America than across the rest of society (though some significant strides have been made), and perhaps if sports franchises and players outwardly show support for equality and acceptance of the gay community (including their own LGBT fans), it will help nudge the needle against homophobia in sports a little bit more.

To your point about including LGBT fans, I know having lived in SF for a few years, you can buy a shirt at the Giants store that is the SF in rainbow colors. I always thought that would be cool to see if you're a member of that community or someone who supports it. As a fan of baseball caps, I think it would be cool if New Era did each team's cap in the rainbow flag. I'm not saying make it an authentic collection hat or anything, but rather a 59fifty in the team color(s) with the stitched logo in the rainbow flag pattern. I would assume that members of the LGBT community would get behind it. I know the Padres gave away a hat last year as part of their pride theme night similar to that, but as a uniform nerd, I'd want a New Era fitted cap, not a slouch fit like these were. (Plus those make my face look huge!) You see Giants Filipino style hats quite frequently, so it's not that different. I'm not sure all teams would translate really well, but the simple ones like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Royals all could look pretty sharp.

Pride_Hat_Working_zpsflkp5zau.png

While we are at it, I don't think I've posted this before (and I realize this isn't hockey) but I used to work for the San Francisco Bulls of the ECHL before they folded in a firey mess and got to design the jerseys the team wore for the LGBT night they had in 2014. Design really isn't the right word as any monkey with a computer can slap stripes on a blank jersey like this, but my role was put together something the players could wear and have it look like a hockey jersey rather than a "theme" jersey if that makes any sense. The jerseys were auctioned off and the proceeds went to SF Pride. It was cool to see people bidding on something you had a made that saw the ice, especially because you had people who collect jerseys there (as we always did at these auctions) but also members of the LGBT community who wanted a keep sake who these jerseys meant a lot to.

mlb_e_bulls_rainbow_b1_600x600_zpshmpraa 

SEAsig.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every team that is introducing new socks are all the same design. That actually takes away the excitement of seeing new socks when it's all the same. I like that players are slowly adopting this look but I wish these designs weren't all the same. 

Go A's!

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

Every team that is introducing new socks are all the same design. That actually takes away the excitement of seeing new socks when it's all the same. I like that players are slowly adopting this look but I wish these designs weren't all the same. 

I'd much rather all the players wear the same socks than have teams where the players are wearing 5 different socks types in the same game. I mean there is a reason it's called a uniform.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

I'd much rather all the players wear the same socks than have teams where the players are wearing 5 different socks types in the same game. I mean there is a reason it's called a uniform.

Having pants of many varying lengths on the field is bad enough; the last thing we need are players on the same team wearing different sock designs. Pick a sock design and stick with it.

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

Having pants of many varying lengths on the field is bad enough; the last thing we need are players on the same team wearing different sock designs. Pick a sock design and stick with it.

I don't mind the pants lengths being different (they're all really the same, some just pull them up, while others wear them down), but the various sock designs is awful.. People are accustomed to players preferring various pants lengths, and they're all wearing the same uniform, but when the socks are showing and look different, that's not uniform at all.. I also like stirrups with a good bit of sani's showing (assuming everyone's wearing them)

Oh I agree, different sock designs in the same game is not very good. 

And I don't mind different sock designs as long as every player sticks with one design for said game. 

There are a few designs these teams could use instead of the three stripes with the secondary color trim. 

I would like to see more of the three solid stripes

XoNxjFf.jpg

or even like what the Cards have

high-socks.jpg

or the O's

bal-orioles-morning-notes-on-upcoming-in

Go A's!

Got to see the Diamondbacks in person for first time since their change.  They were wearing their black alt tops.

1.  I overheard multiple people in the crowd say that they looked just like the umpires.  One person said that from a distance and from the side, it looked like an umpire was goofing around with the 2nd baseman and high-fived him.

2.  I really like their dark pants, but they shouldn't have black jerseys.  It really did look like there were 12 players in the field.  I know that the umps don't have big numbers on their backs, but at first glance they look too similar.

3.  Their pants are stupid.  A million times stupid.  

4.  Their caps are stupid.  I was close enough to the field to see the pattern on the cap, and it looked silly.  I cannot imagine a dignified veteran HOF player ever wearing that uniform.  It looks like something an 18-year-old would wear - not a 38-year-old.  Imagine Ted Williams (with head still on body) wearing that nonsense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

Oh I agree, different sock designs in the same game is not very good. 

And I don't mind different sock designs as long as every player sticks with one design for said game. 

There are a few designs these teams could use instead of the three stripes with the secondary color trim. 

I would like to see more of the three solid stripes

XoNxjFf.jpg

or even like what the Cards have

high-socks.jpg

or the O's

bal-orioles-morning-notes-on-upcoming-in

The Cards' and O's socks are two of my favorite sock designs in the majors. Right up there with the old Red Sox design that unfortunately is no longer used:

Lee-Bill-1975-PitchingAction01.jpg

For the A's, there's a plethora of good options, but my favorite is probably the one you posted - three gold stripes on a green sock, with gold sanitaries.

Hmmm.  Don't think I like that. 

It's nice to recognize national tragedies, especially those which afflicted minorities who still experience discrimination in our country.  And I guess if they're not going to join the "It gets better" movement as some teams have done, this isn't a bad step.  But rather than an "us too!" decal, I'd rather see the Brewers donate a large sum of money to local LGBT charities in Milwaukee.  

So I went to the phillies game today....

they played the diamondbacks......who had dark grey uniforms with light blue numbers.

It looked utterly awful, dark gray and light blue just blend too much. Had fun trying to see what the numbers and names were.

19Senvp.jpg

TCnl5cf.png

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

So I went to the phillies game today....

they played the diamondbacks......who had dark grey uniforms with light blue numbers.

It looked utterly awful, dark gray and light blue just blend too much. Had fun trying to see what the numbers and names were.

19Senvp.jpg

TCnl5cf.png

Who woulda thought dark grey and light blue would blend together?

17 hours ago, kroywen said:

The Cards' and O's socks are two of my favorite sock designs in the majors. Right up there with the old Red Sox design that unfortunately is no longer used:

Lee-Bill-1975-PitchingAction01.jpg

For the A's, there's a plethora of good options, but my favorite is probably the one you posted - three gold stripes on a green sock, with gold sanitaries.

The Sox need to go back to these asap...

9 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Call me crazy, but the Rays looked decent today.  I wouldn't mind a modification to their identity.

steve-pearce-of-the-tampa-bay-rays-react

corey-dickerson-of-the-tampa-bay-rays-st

I think the Rays would really benefit from outlining the home and road uni numbers in light blue rather than white and making the numbers on the navy alt light blue/white outline. 

KISSwall09.jpg

11 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Call me crazy, but the Rays looked decent today.  I wouldn't mind a modification to their identity.

steve-pearce-of-the-tampa-bay-rays-react

corey-dickerson-of-the-tampa-bay-rays-st

It's like a navy and periwinkle Orioles. Would be an upgrade

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Getting rid of the drop-shadow would be an improvement, as would making the wordmark and number light blue.  

I'd keep gold on the ray, though.  White just doesn't work.

Agreed, this uni would be a nice palette to start with. 

Archived