MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:
3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Todd Radom just tweeted a closeup of the prototype's sleeve outside of the glass display case.

Could it be that the Pads will be *wearing* these prototypes soon?!

I doubt it. He's got access to these museum pieces (heck, he even tweeted out a black-and-white version of that friar logo about a year or two ago).

He did say "Now that the cat is out of the bag".  And that looks like it may have been printed, not stitched as we'd expect a 1985 patch to be.

Cm28ElDXYAAmXE8.jpg:large

Compare:

Cm23VbXVYAEUEgK.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Around the Horn said:

Thank god.

I only know because of Baseball Tonight showing off the uniforms when they talk about it, the usual home whites and away grays with the all-star patches.

This leads to something interesting I don't think has been discussed yet.  Apparently to make up for bilking the American League teams by choosing National League hosts a bunch of years in a row, they're still going to rotate the home team.  The American League will be the home team at PETCO Park this summer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Cm23VbXVYAEUEgK.jpgCm23VbXUEAA4BS1.jpg

Unused Padres prototype from 1985. That friar sleeve patch is interesting, but I'm thankful they didn't go this direction. Orange pinstripes on grey? Yuck. 

Honestly, I don't think it's that horrible.  I know the jersey itself wouldn't fly today but I think that wordmark and number font would still look good together if used today.

Wonder what the cap would have looked like.

That friar logo is awesome.  Love that style. Doesn't go at all with the jersey though.  Could be the base of a great identity, but it's like the Padres couldn't make up their mind what they wanted so they did a little of everything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wonder what the cap would have looked like.

That friar logo is awesome.  Love that style. Doesn't go at all with the jersey though.  Could be the base of a great identity, but it's like the Padres couldn't make up their mind what they wanted so they did a little of everything.

It's like the Padres were the Padres.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I think Miami is next year and Washington the year after that, making it four years in a row with Cincinnati last year.

Correct.  I feel as if 2019 should go to Boston or maybe even Baltimore.

1 minute ago, tohasbo said:

Correct.  I feel as if 2019 should go to Boston or maybe even Baltimore.

That puts us in an odd position, though.  With the National League being at home next year and American League the year after, 2019 would be the National League at home in an American League park.  Might as well just give it to Wrigley already, even if the big anniversary passed.  Then there's Boston, Baltimore, and maybe 12 years is a long enough gap to give it to the last new ballpark to not host one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

That puts us in an odd position, though.  With the National League being at home next year and American League the year after, 2019 would be the National League at home in an American League park.  Might as well just give it to Wrigley already, even if the big anniversary passed.  Then there's Boston, Baltimore, and maybe 12 years is a long enough gap to give it to the last new ballpark to not host one.

I just don't see it going to 5 NL parks in a row.  Unless they want to screw Wrigley over and give to Atlanta, which makes no sense.  

4 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

I just don't see it going to 5 NL parks in a row.  Unless they want to screw Wrigley over and give to Atlanta, which makes no sense.  

Yeah, but I didn't see it going as far as it friggin' has now.  I didn't even think of Atlanta.  That would make sense, unless they do American League for two years and then get back on track.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Yeah, but I didn't see it going as far as it friggin' has now.  I didn't even think of Atlanta.  That would make sense, unless they do American League for two years and then get back on track.

Boston in 2019 and MAYBE Baltimore in 2020.  Baltimore would make the most sense in the long run

46 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Boston in 2019 and MAYBE Baltimore in 2020.  Baltimore would make the most sense in the long run

Boston had the game in 1999; Baltimore in 1993.  Baltimore should be the first of the two and even Toronto (1991) should go before Boston.   There's a lot of bad blood between MLB and Baltimore over the MASN regional network and The Nationals. 

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

By that point, two new ballparks will have opened - Atlanta and Texas. They'd both go first. Yanks won't get it till sometime in the 2020s. The Phillies also haven't hosted, but rumor is they're waiting for 2026 for the 250th anniversary. 

Anubis.png

3 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

By that point, two new ballparks will have opened - Atlanta and Texas. They'd both go first. Yanks won't get it till sometime in the 2020s. The Phillies also haven't hosted, but rumor is they're waiting for 2026 for the 250th anniversary. 

Don't forget, Dodger Stadium. They've put in $150 million in renovation and truthfully, the stadium has always looked brand new and yet last hosted an All Star Game in 1980. Stan Kasten has been pushing for one for a few years now.

2 hours ago, oddball said:

Don't forget, Dodger Stadium. They've put in $150 million in renovation and truthfully, the stadium has always looked brand new and yet last hosted an All Star Game in 1980. Stan Kasten has been pushing for one for a few years now.

Always looked brand new? I was there last year and paint was chipping off the wooden bleachers in the outfield. Just because they upgraded the fancy seats behind home plate doesn't mean they've renovated. I'd rather see Fenway or Wrigley get another ASG before Dodger Stadium.

Archived