MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Reds are batting they're wearing their regular all red batting helmets, which is also what they wear on all 81 road games instead of helmets that match the current road/former home cap. I don't know why I thought they'd go with a special black billed helmet for this one throwback game when they can't be arsed to do it for the half of the season when they play on the road, but very little this team does makes any sense so

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, insert name said:

I liked the Vest look. Only a few teams can pull it off. I always said that the Reds and Pirates need to bring it back. 

Should: Reds, Pirates

Could: Orioles (Alt), White Sox (Alt), A's, Mariners (Was gonna put them under "Never", but saw pictures and they actually look pretty good), Marlins

Never Again: Rays, Blue Jays, Indians, Royals, Twins, Angels, Rangers, Cubs, Rockies

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, insert name said:

I and some others noticed the Mets script was pretty low. 

Cn1RWCSXgAALCAc.jpg

WTF...that looks really bad.  Not my favorite historical Mets road jersey, but this quality is just sloppy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I liked Reds and Giants throwbacks today, didn't see the M's ones but I lived through them the first time and loved them. Hate the BoSox ones (except the caps, they should use them on the road) 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

3 hours ago, insert name said:

Cn1RWCSXgAALCAc.jpg

I didn't think so much "low" as much as it just looked disproportionately small. I wasn't around when the Mets wore those but I can't imagine that was the size of the script when they did. 

As for the Reds...I was around when they wore those regularly, of course, and honestly they looked perfectly in place to me. I preferred the Reds in vests rather than what they currently wear (not that their current set is bad, at all) if for no other reason than because they were the team that brought vests into the sport originally, so there's some historical cache' to them wearing those. 

Though the subject of vests has me thinking...it wasn't all that long ago that the Reds and Pirates wore them. The White Sox had a vest home alternate, so did the Indians, the Twins (that they wore about 3 times total), the Rangers wore vests regularly, the Delgado-era Blue Jays, Rays had vests...pretty much, the only vests that remain in the league are the Rockies' black alternates, so they kinda died out about 8 years ago, huh? Probably a minority opinion, but I always liked the vests, so that they're all-but gone does leave me a little bit sad. 

spacer.png

Although they were never my thing and I don't want to see them return it was fun seeing the Reds in those uniforms again for the day. They felt oddly correct and familiar. Like an old pair of shoes you haven't worn in a while or seeing a friend you haven't been around in years and falling right back into it like you weren't apart. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I was never a fan. Vests in baseball = sleeves in basketball.

I don't agree with that. Basketball tanktops were developed out of functionality and had been worn for, like, a hundred years by teams above junior high level. A shoe company trotted out sleeved jerseys a few years back to drum up sales. Just their presence is an affront to the sport. Of course, baseball vests have been around for probably 100 years, so they don't seem out of the ordinary to me. I agree that sleeved jerseys are ideal for most teams, but certain teams, like the Pirates and Reds, looked good to me wearing traditional vests. Nobody looks good in modern Majestic sleeveless jerseys, however.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

5 hours ago, insert name said:

Cn1RWCSXgAALCAc.jpg

Regardless of the quality these were easily the worst grey uniforms in Mets history. Nothing I hate to see more than the same wordmark used on home and away uniforms, the "Mets" doesn't look right on the greys.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

WTF...that looks really bad.  Not my favorite historical Mets road jersey, but this quality is just sloppy.

WOW! I was sitting in the bleachers today at Wrigley during the game.  From what I saw, the Mets looked great!  Granted I did not see the front font. However after seeing this I find it amazing what happens when you see a TV broadcast.  Those look really rough.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

Likely an unpopular opinion, but the Reds just looked..."right" today. May be nostalgia from my childhood speaking, but I've always felt the Reds belonged in vests (as do the Pirates).

Granted, the modern vest cut isn't the ideal cut by any means (I'll take the 50's-60's cut every time), but I'll take it for what it is. Cut aside, I thought the Reds looked great. 

In other throwback news, it drives me crazy that the Angels are wearing the throwback with the Red Sox style numbers. They just don't look good on that uniform and are terribly out of place, like an ill-informed photoshop mistake or something. They really should have worn the block number version instead, or even the early 90's set to match up better era-wise with Texas.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

23 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Reds are wearing the 99-06 uniforms tonight for Ken Griffey Jr. 

I'll watch tonight to see them one more time, but I really don't miss these uniforms. Also, weird that I'm at an age where a uniform I remember so well and watched so often is now old enough to be worn as a throwback. 

Cn0DSIiXYAA3paJ.jpg

I love these jerseys and prefer them to the boring things they wear now. For some reason the black drop shadows seem less offensive on these than the current jerseys too, IDK why,

14 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Should: Reds, Pirates

Could: Orioles (Alt), White Sox (Alt), A's, Mariners (Was gonna put them under "Never", but saw pictures and they actually look pretty good), Marlins

Never Again: Rays, Blue Jays, Indians, Royals, Twins, Angels, Rangers, Cubs, Rockies

I'd add the "Diamondbacks" to the should list.

Archived