MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh, since we're talking about the Rockies... am I the only one who notices a purple hue in videos from Coors Field? Why is this? How is this possible? Is there a reason behind this? Am I crazy and this doesn't exist? Everytime I see images at Coors Field especially on the white jerseys, I swear there's a purple tint on everything, best illustrated by still images from videos. I know it doesn't show up on high quality photographs but check these screengrabs out. It's striking since obviously purple is there color. It's not like its a random yellow or blue tint, it's specifically purple....

Anderson looks to end 3-start winless run vs. CrewDe La Rosa keeps up momentum in strong 8 IP

Arenado proving he can hit anywhere, anytime

I've never noticed it.  Could be due to purple pinstripes, plus shadows add to it.  If there's a purple filter, it's very minimal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2016 at 4:49 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'm not saying that multiple teams necessarily ought to look similar; I am saying that this is a non-issue.  One team needn't check with every other team before deciding what's best for itself.  Two different design teams could conceivably come up with designs that look similar, using the same fonts and colours.  And that's OK, if the look works for each team that is using it.

It is an issue though in that there are only 30 teams. 30 does not begin to encapsulate the total number of design possibilities so that teams must start sharing looks. If you're trying to brand you team and make them instantly identifiable then dressing them like another team, to invite even the slightest chance of confusion, is the wrong way to go about doing that. These teams don't play in a vacuum. They will eventually face their opponent while wearing similar uniforms. Not checking with other teams before deciding what's best for itself is how you end up with a Lightining-Maple Leafs situation and that is decidedly not best for anyone. 

On 8/22/2016 at 4:49 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Regarding the Rockies: their main look has been consistent and diginified (even though they have had some pretty bad alts).  I, too, would like to seem them sneak in some purple, like maybe on the front number of the home jersey.  But they do use purple accents to great effect on the piping of the road uniform.

Also, calling for purple for the Rockies could open the door to some monstrosities.

Given this risk, I say the more White-Soxy the better for the Rockies.  Their look works for them; and the fact that it resembles that of the Sox is neither here nor there.

It is here because we've been talking about it for as long as I've been on the boards. The White Sox had it first, the Rockies could've and should've designed something a little farther from what they're wearing. That the numbers on the home uniform are black outlined in gray has never made sense to me. 

These two players do not play for the same team and that is a problem. With an infinite number of design possibilities there is no good reason for this to be the case. 

3702_wht_pur_pnstrpes_rockies_home_b.jpg10651924.jpg

The way you fix the Rockies is very simple. Purple numbers/lettering outlined with black or silver. Just like their road uniforms. It wouldn't be a monstrosity at all. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

41 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The way you fix the Rockies is very simple. Purple numbers/lettering outlined with black or silver. Just like their road uniforms. It wouldn't be a monstrosity at all. 

Yes, that's true; that change would be an improvement for the Rockies.  So I would like to see it on that basis -- not on the basis that it differentiates them from the White Sox.

Whereas, the Rangers' changes have made them look worse.  So I call those changes a series of bad moves, notwithstanding that they have differentiated that team from the Angels.

So, once again, for me the idea of two teams having similar looks is not an issue.  The only issue is that each team should display its best look. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

With the Rockies and White Sox it's almost not even just similarities, it's virtually identical when you take into account how the Rockies purple pinstripes always look black. I have literally seen a picture of the back of a Rockies or White Sox player before and have not known what team they played for. That's a HUGE problem beyond just looking similar such as say the Twins and Indians.

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

With the Rockies and White Sox it's almost not even just similarities, it's virtually identical when you take into account how the Rockies purple pinstripes always look black. I have literally seen a picture of the back of a Rockies or White Sox player before and have not known what team they played for. That's a HUGE problem beyond just looking similar such as say the Twins and Indians.

Well of course when these designs were first created, interleague didn't exist yet so the idea of confusing which team was which watching a broadcast would be very rare. But with interleague now things are different. However, I don't find it that big of a deal now with scorebugs on every broadcast. 

Go A's!

9 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Well of course when these designs were first created, interleague didn't exist yet so the idea of confusing which team was which watching a broadcast would be very rare. But with interleague now things are different. However, I don't find it that big of a deal now with scorebugs on every broadcast. 

So much this ^^^^

The White Sox and Rockies will never wear pinstripe whites on the same field at the same time. It's a non-issue. While this board is great in general, the nitpicking of things drives me nuts sometimes. 

7 hours ago, zilch said:

Well I know last year they did not and it kinda looks like they are now, but can't really see for sure

Pretty sure phillies don't have them. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

34nnpli.png

It just seems "odd" (to me anyway) to have a bunch of outlines to make numbers.  Maybe the finished kiss cut number is more precise because how it has to line up?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That's interesting, I never knew that term. Can anyone give me an example of a team that uses kiss cut and one that doesn't just so I can compare them? Thanks.

If you have an authentic mlb jersey from 2015 or before, compare it to one from this year(note the differences in logo to determine age)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't think it's nitpicking when in the pictures below, you can't tell which team is playing without having to know who each specific player is. It's kinda like a "Guess The Team" Quiz, you'd be surprised how many baseball fans actually get them wrong.

Melky Cabrera #53 of the Chicago White Sox hits a run scoring double in the 3rd inning against the Oakland Athletics at U.S. Cellular Field on August 20, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.Tyler Anderson #44 of the Colorado Rockies pitches against the Chicago Cubs in the third inning of a game at Coors Field on August 19, 2016 in Denver, Colorado.

How often are people sitting around and playing "Guess the Team?" In this age, if you see someone on a tv screen, in a matter of seconds you'll see who is playing thanks to the score being posted somewhere on the screen. 

Archived