MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

How often are people sitting around and playing "Guess the Team?" In this age, if you see someone on a tv screen, in a matter of seconds you'll see who is playing thanks to the score being posted somewhere on the screen. 

Its still ridiculous that two teams in the same sport have virtually the same jersey except for the color of one element...

YVRMUBj.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

How often are people sitting around and playing "Guess the Team?" In this age, if you see someone on a tv screen, in a matter of seconds you'll see who is playing thanks to the score being posted somewhere on the screen. 

You're missing the point. If I'm watching a game on TV of course I can tell which team is which, I'm not confused during a game. I'm illustrating the fact that both of those teams are so similar they can easily be mistaken for the other and that is something that shouldn't happen. The two uniforms are nearly identical from certain perspectives and that's troublesome from a design aspect, arguably lazy and cheap on the Rockies behalf.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You're missing the point. If I'm watching a game on TV of course I can tell which team is which, I'm not confused during a game. I'm illustrating the fact that both of those teams are so similar they can easily be mistaken for the other and that is something that shouldn't happen. The two uniforms are nearly identical from certain perspectives and that's troublesome from a design aspect, arguably lazy and cheap on the Rockies behalf.

At that time, the Rockies has a completely unique look in the league. No other team in the national league had a look like that, and still doesn't for that matter.

No MLB at that time nor interleague play, .

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

8 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Most of the time when people say that the Rockies and previous set of the Marlins look like the White Sox, they're talking about the lack of those teams' colors. The mostly black, silver, and white, makes them look like the White Sox. Putting the Rockies' home uni up against the Sox home just shows how close they look, but the main point is the lack of purple. 

10 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Its still ridiculous that two teams in the same sport have virtually the same jersey except for the color of one element...

Lazy and cheap on the Rockies behalf? Both teams have had their current look for over 20 years and given the White Sox very varied uniform history, I don't think they can claim a look to be their own. 

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

(Sigh.)

Once again: Sunderland, Stoke City, and Southampton. Then there's Aston Villa, West Ham, and Burnley.  Also Juventus and Udinese.

In other words: not a problem.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I wish there could be 30 different color schemes (32 in the NFL, 20 in the PL each year) but it's just never going to happen. Certain colors, like Kelly green, are criminally underused. Navy blue and red are always going to be overused. It's just the way it is.

My eyes aren't the best, and even I can see that the Rockies pinstripes are purple and the White Sox pinstripes are black.  I am (literally) not seeing what the problem is here.

I agree with the guy that said that what matters most is that the teams just look their best.  I don't think teams should "have to" change what they look like just so that they contrast more with other teams.  If it were really that much of a problem, one of the teams would have changed by now.  It's been what, 23 years now?  And I have yet to hear a baseball announcer say, "And the White Sox take the field -  oops, I mean the Rockies.  Those darn jerseys just look too similar to each other!"

Anyone who legitimately watches an MLB game (whether in person, or on TV) and after a few seconds isn't able to figure out who is playing, probably should not be watching baseball, or maybe is someone who is brand new to MLB.  The whole "but they look similar from the back!" argument is silly because after a few seconds you are going to eventually see the front of a jersey, and that should be enough to help you remember who is playing for the rest of the game.  If you can't, that's your problem, not the jersey's.

It's really not that big of a deal.  And if we end up with some situation in the future where we have COL @ CHW and COL happens to be wearing pinstriped road jerseys, then you differentiate the teams by seeing who is wearing a white jersey and who is wearing a gray jersey, which is really the main way two teams are supposed to be differentiated in baseball contests, anyway.  We are not talking about a sport like basketball, where when two teams looking too similar can actually cause problems from a gameplay standpoint for the players.

All of that being said, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I do think that the Rockies should incorporate more purple, but that is because it would look better and tie into their identity better.  Not because "they look too much like the White Sox."  

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I find myself liking this approach to the Rockies' color scheme:

98627a_med.jpeg

Purple/Grey/White would be a fantastic color scheme, one that removes a black team from the majors and emphasizes the Rockies' distinctive colorway.

Best road jersey they ever had.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 8/23/2016 at 2:24 AM, dont care said:

Purple numbers on black would be illegible 

14353_01_lg.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

image.jpeg

"St. Mouis"?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

(Sigh.)

Once again: Sunderland, Stoke City, and Southampton. Then there's Aston Villa, West Ham, and Burnley.  Also Juventus and Udinese.

In other words: not a problem.

The teams you mention have enough nuances in their jerseys to be able to tell them apart, such as the width of the stripes and the way the colors are used, particularly the sponsor's logos however the Rockies and White Sox, don't have that distinction.

YVRMUBj.png

23 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The teams you mention have enough nuances in their jerseys to be able to tell them apart, such as the width of the stripes and the way the colors are used, particularly the sponsor's logos however the Rockies and White Sox, don't have that distinction.

I guess the Rockies and Sox word marks mean nothing then?

Archived