MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Just now, Brandon9485 said:

I guess the Rockies and Sox word marks mean nothing then?

No, I'm not saying that. The Rockies and Sox wordmarks are similar colors with a slight variation. The sponsor logos for the team's mentioned are completely different colors and fonts and easier to tell apart.

1 minute ago, Brandon9485 said:

Yeah, that got me too. Maybe Missouri?

That might be a backwards L.

YVRMUBj.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

No, I'm not saying that. The Rockies and Sox wordmarks are similar colors with a slight variation. The sponsor logos for the team's mentioned are completely different colors and fonts and easier to tell apart.

Slight variations? Outside of primary color, they look nothing alike. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm dropping the White Sox v Rockies thing because my point has already been overstated but just one minor Rockies tidbit that I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed. The Rockies wordmark letters are supposed to be filled in with that silver/light gray color as it's seen on most printed versions of the logo but am I the only one who sees it as just white in actual game action on the home jersey? It's definitely too light and doesn't help the team's problem of being too black and white.

On 8/27/2016 at 8:21 AM, Old School Fool said:

If you really want to get a White Sox comparison, there's always this alternate...

egasikuwzrzcwphwramwzpgqq.gif

I like this, any in game pics of this being worn? Probably wasn't worn often I'd imagine (I'd have fallen a bit out of baseball in those years to remember).

Why don't the Red Sox use midnight/dark navy on their pullovers and alternate jerseys? I always see a discrepancy in the colors between their dark caps and their lighter jerseys and pullovers but with other teams, like the Yankees and Tigers, I always see the darker navy used on both. Compare the caps with the tops on these pictures, why don't the Red Sox fix this? It makes the Boston caps look black.

Image result for john farrellImage result for joe girardi

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Why don't the Red Sox use midnight/dark navy on their pullovers and alternate jerseys? I always see a discrepancy in the colors between their dark caps and their lighter jerseys and pullovers but with other teams, like the Yankees and Tigers, I always see the darker navy used on both. Compare the caps with the tops on these pictures, why don't the Red Sox fix this? It makes the Boston caps look black.

Image result for john farrellImage result for joe girardi

Red sox just suck that's all, there is nothing you, me, or anyone else can do about. It´s just the way things are 

On 8/26/2016 at 5:26 PM, Brandon9485 said:

How often are people sitting around and playing "Guess the Team?" In this age, if you see someone on a tv screen, in a matter of seconds you'll see who is playing thanks to the score being posted somewhere on the screen. 

That's not the point. Why invite any ounce of potential confusion if you can avoid it? What's worse is they have a color that nobody else uses, but is barely visible in their home uniform. What do the Rockies get out of having White Sox knockoffs? What would they get if their uniforms stood out more? 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:38 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

(Sigh.)

Once again: Sunderland, Stoke City, and Southampton. Then there's Aston Villa, West Ham, and Burnley.  Also Juventus and Udinese.

In other words: not a problem.

(sigh.)

Just because they do things a certain way in European soccer doesn't make it acceptable in a completely different sport on a different continent. See: clash uniforms in non-team colors would never fly in MLB. That's like arguing that NFL teams should wear all white uniforms at home and all gray uniforms on the road because that's how it's done in baseball. 

I'm arguing it is a problem. Even in european football. What possible benefit do those teams get out of dressing so similar and why wouldn't an instantly identifiable look that they could own all to themselves be a better and more recognizable brand? What's gained from copying another team's uniform?  

On 8/27/2016 at 10:26 PM, Brandon9485 said:

Slight variations? Outside of primary color, they look nothing alike. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We have eyes and can read. Nobody is arguing they're identical, but they don't look "nothing alike". They look at least a little bit alike otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. The point is they're too similar and there's no reason for them to be that similar. The opportunity cost of the Rockies wearing White Sox knockoffs at home is we don't get to see how white uniforms utilizing their own unique color (purple) could work. There's only 30 teams. No excuse for any of them to have any look that too closely resembles another team. Nor should they want to resemble another team for brand strength purposes. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think it's hilarious how those shooting down the White Sox Rockies debate think we can't tell the teams apart. That isn't the point we're trying to convey. I know which team is which.

I think it's hilarious that people are whining about two uniform designs that are both over 20 years old.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

On another topic, this is the new campaign from the MLB shop, "Respect the Colors."

BREW_TLP_Aspot_1108X300.jpg

Wait, respect which colors now?

We all know the Brewers' colors are navy blue and metallic gold... I mean royal blue and gold... I mean...

On 8/27/2016 at 9:54 PM, Around the Horn said:

That might be a backwards L.

The connected part on the right is the fancy addition that's not part of the actual "L" (like the connected diagonal line on the "S", which is not part of the S's structure, but just a fancy add-on).. I think the two left posts that are looped together, along with the horizontal bar at the bottom, make up the "L", although I could be wrong.

The Cardinals (sadly) don't wear their navy road cap often (only versus teams who wear red caps at home), but it has been making a lot of appearances on their social media accounts as of late via the non-game photos they've selected. 

Maybe a return to prominence in 2017?

Archived