MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

2 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

The Cardinals (sadly) don't wear their navy road cap often (only versus teams who wear red caps at home), but it has been making a lot of appearances on their social media accounts as of late via the non-game photos they've selected. 

Maybe a return to prominence in 2017?

Twice tonight alone 

image.png

image.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, never liked it. Hats shouldn't change between home and road. I'm not even sure anything should except the white/grey base. The Nationals being red at home and navy on the road drove me mad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I think it's hilarious that people are whining about two uniform designs that are both over 20 years old.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Is it whining? Or is it having a conversation about uniform designs and asthetics, which is the entire point of this website and these forums. No one is whining or losing sleep over this. Coming in here and making that post is the equivalent of walking into a school and asking why people are learning. This is what we do here.

15 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I think it's hilarious that people are whining about two uniform designs that are both over 20 years old.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

No. First of all, that's the entire point of this message board - picking over small details the general population doesn't care about. Second, yes they're both over 20 years old, but one of those uniforms is 26 years old and the other is 23. That's an important distinction because one team wore the uniform for 3 seasons before the other, which means it was established, which means they weren't designed simultaneously, which means the Rockies knew about the similarities at the time while designing theirs and they still went forward with that look. 

Imagine if you will that in 3 years a team adopts a uniform that uses the same colors and piping as the new Padres home uniform. Would that be acceptable? If the Houston Texans had come out in 2002 wearing the exact same uniforms as the New York Giants except with a different logo on the helmet would that be acceptable? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Just because they do things a certain way in European soccer doesn't make it acceptable in a completely different sport on a different continent.

It makes no difference if it's European soccer.  The issue is the same in any sport.  Those were the examples that lept to mind at that moment.  

The phenomenon of two teams looking very similar has happened in the NFL.

Image result for new york giants 1995   Image result for buffalo bills 1995

And it has happened in the NBA.

Image result for cleveland cavaliers 1989   Image result for trent tucker knicks

And it has happened in the NHL.

similar nhl jerseys.jpg

Too much of that would not be a good thing.  But, if in an entire league, there are just a couple of examples of uniforms looking similar, then there is no problem; and no team should be expected to change solely to break this similarity.  

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It makes no difference if it's European soccer.  The issue is the same in any sport.  Those were the examples that lept to mind at that moment.  

The phenomenon of two teams looking very similar has happened in the NFL.

Image result for new york giants 1995   Image result for buffalo bills 1995

And it has happened in the NBA.

Image result for cleveland cavaliers 1989   Image result for trent tucker knicks

And it has happened in the NHL.

similar nhl jerseys.jpg

Too much of that would not be a good thing.  But, if in an entire league, there are just a couple of examples of uniforms looking similar, then there is no problem; and no team should be expected to change solely to break this similarity.  

The only example with a similarity on the level of the White Sox and Rockies is the Cavs-Knicks and that was a huge problem the entire time the Cavs wore that uniform! They left a color scheme they had all to themselves to dress very similar to the Knicks and it was never quite clear why. It was a welcome change when they branched out and tried to create their own identity (whether they were successful with that is another discussion). No team should be expected to change solely to break the similarity, but it's reasonable to ask a team not design a uniform that so closely resembles an already existing uniform, which is the problem the Rockies brought upon themselves in 1993 and haven't corrected since. Further, I still haven't heard what is gained from dressing so similar to an already established identity. How is that better than having your own look? In a world with infinite design possibilities I refuse to settle for two teams looking the same. 

To your examples: The Bills helmet, the most distinguishing part of a football uniform, is a completely different color from the Giants. If the Rockies wore purple hats I would have less of a problem with their aping of the White Sox pinstripes. The Penguins used either contrasting color sleeves or instantly identifiable striping and shoulder yokes to stand out from the Bruins. Bad examples on both. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 8/7/2016 at 2:24 AM, Thomas said:

Well, i was just joking, but then again, maybe not.

People has gotten lazy and fat, not wanting to do anything, it takes pokemon to get people to use their feet, why should heat and sunshine not bother them as well. They also get offended and "triggered" by the smallest things.

Imagine this generation go through hard times like war etc.

Nah, i will stick by calling most folk these days wussies and pansies.

"No dad, i don't wanna go to the ballgame, it might be too hot or it could start raining....waaaahhh !!

They did.  They saw one of the most horrifying events play out before them in gory detail and many responded by going to war, a war that dragged on, repeatedly denying soldiers the option to go home within a month of it finally being over.  It was filled with atrocities, against an enemy that often felt unbeatable.  Oh, and there were two of them ongoing at the same time.

This generation has gone through hard times.

On 8/23/2016 at 1:13 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The white vest is OK -- though it should be cut as an actual vest and not a sleeveless jersey, and the front number should be way lower.  While that monogram has plenty wrong with it (it's just Times New Roman; and "location + nickname" is no basis for a monogram), it nevertheless looks good on the front of the jersey.

But a black vest with black undershirts?  That is just ridiculous -- in addition, of course, to the point that any coloured jersey is bad (if you're not the Oakland A's wearing jerseys of yellow or Kelly green).

Man...  I'm a very traditional person, I love white vs. gray and want it to be the standard, and I want alternate colored jerseys to stay far away from my team, but I can't agree on an objective level that these don't look really good.

houston-astros-bet-picks.jpg20140926_mariners01.jpgtoronto-blue-jays.jpg?w=600usp_mlb__nlcs-chicago_cubs_at_new_york_m

On 8/27/2016 at 0:08 PM, SCalderwood said:

It's really not that big of a deal.  And if we end up with some situation in the future where we have COL @ CHW and COL happens to be wearing pinstriped road jerseys, then you differentiate the teams by seeing who is wearing a white jersey and who is wearing a gray jersey, which is really the main way two teams are supposed to be differentiated in baseball contests, anyway.  We are not talking about a sport like basketball, where when two teams looking too similar can actually cause problems from a gameplay standpoint for the players.

All of that being said, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I do think that the Rockies should incorporate more purple, but that is because it would look better and tie into their identity better.  Not because "they look too much like the White Sox."  

Curse you, sir.  One of those days that I had to catch up for ten pages, had a point planned to make, and someone beat me to it.  Much like my answer to people who complain about the Red/Blue teams being confusing on the field, the two of them are going to look like this when they meet:

Chicago+White+Sox+v+Colorado+Rockies+KHg

That being said, given their ownership of the color as a primary, the Rockies really should bring more purple to the party.

14 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

The Cardinals (sadly) don't wear their navy road cap often (only versus teams who wear red caps at home), but it has been making a lot of appearances on their social media accounts as of late via the non-game photos they've selected. 

One can only hope.  I really miss that look, and every time I see it, I feel they look right, finally.

spacer.png

spacer.png

21 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Just my opinion, but I think the red caps on the road look great. It's fitting for a team called the Cardinals. The navy cap just seemed unnecessary to me.

22 hours ago, daveindc said:

Just my opinion, but I think the red caps on the road look great. It's fitting for a team called the Cardinals. The navy cap just seemed unnecessary to me.

I am the self proclaimed king of unpopular opinions when it comes to the Cardinals. I've disliked everything they've done since 2013. That includes red hats on the road, the Saturday alt, the St. Louis script, and the larger birds on the bat. 

Doesn't do much good to bring it up since I'm in the clear minority, but seeing the blue hats pop up more in their social media gives me hope.

The Cardinals cap situation is always gonna be a tough one for two reasons, both have been done throughout their history and both look good. The two options basically please everyone both in terms of tradition and asthetics. It's a rare combination around here. You can prefer one or the other but virtually no one hates one or the other. There's essentially no wrong answer, kinda odd but kinda awesome.

14 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I am the self proclaimed king of unpopular opinions when it comes to the Cardinals. I've disliked everything they've done since 2013. That includes red hats on the road, the Saturday alt, the St. Louis script, and the larger birds on the bat. 

Doesn't do much good to bring it up since I'm in the clear minority, but seeing the blue hats pop up more in their social media gives me hope.

Every opinion I've ever had about sports uniforms says I should prefer the red hats on the road, but I just like the navy better for some reason.

I wouldn't mind if they reverse what they currently do. Wear red against navy teams and navy against everyone else. Or even just wear red on getaway days which I believe was an option on that rigged fan poll they did back in 2013 when they initially went to red on the road.

I like the Saturday alts but I think either the navy road hat or the navy and red BP hat with should be worn with them.

Pirates broke out the retired 1971 Sunday throwbacks from last few seasons tonight in honor of the team from 1971...so I guess they weren't technically retired, just sent to special event status.

KISSwall09.jpg

I know this is a little bit off topic... But I saw these photos on Twitter and felt like this was something I could mention here.

I know the Twins new home uniforms haven't been very well-recieved, for some valid reasons, but I would argue that they aren't as far off as most people think.

These photos are from today's game at Target Field. I tend to think that the home uniforms look fantastic in the daylight, although at night they do seem to get pretty muddled. I think if the Twins lightened the shade of gold at least a little bit to make it look less mustard-y and widened the stripes, they would have a pretty solid home set.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I'd be curious to hear what you all think.

Archived