MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

The Padres are adding a color they're calling "battleship grey." I doubt they're getting away from the "Team of the Military" idea.

I'm so sick of the Padres ignoring their mascot and trying to tie into anything but... sand, waves, military, etc. One of the biggest fails in design. Embrace the mascot or change the name.

If it makes you feel better, Franciscan monks did wear grey. And blue.

I know, I was surprised to find that out a few year back. But, how about say it's Franciscan monk grey? I get the whole try to tie into the military in San Diego, but it seems the team goes out of their way to have as little as possible to do with their actual mascot. Kind of a cop out. Again, if you don't like the mascot, change it to something you want to embrace.

By the way, this was a grey/yellow mock up I did back when I did found out that the friars in San Diego wore grey robes.

padresgrey.jpg

I agree that they should change names but with the 50th anniversary coming up in a couple of years, I doubt they'd even consider it.

What I would like to see them do is stop using the words "Padres," like how the Marlins and Rangers did. They're not going to embrace friars and mission bells (and with all the controversy around Father Serra anymore, that's probably a smart call) and they're not going to change the name so the least they could do is downplay it all.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres are adding a color they're calling "battleship grey." I doubt they're getting away from the "Team of the Military" idea.

I'm so sick of the Padres ignoring their mascot and trying to tie into anything but... sand, waves, military, etc. One of the biggest fails in design. Embrace the mascot or change the name.

If it makes you feel better, Franciscan monks did wear grey. And blue.

I know, I was surprised to find that out a few year back. But, how about say it's Franciscan monk grey? I get the whole try to tie into the military in San Diego, but it seems the team goes out of their way to have as little as possible to do with their actual mascot. Kind of a cop out. Again, if you don't like the mascot, change it to something you want to embrace.

By the way, this was a grey/yellow mock up I did back when I did found out that the friars in San Diego wore grey robes.

padresgrey.jpg

I agree that they should change names but with the 50th anniversary coming up in a couple of years, I doubt they'd even consider it.

What I would like to see them do is stop using the words "Padres," like how the Marlins and Rangers did. They're not going to embrace friars and mission bells (and with all the controversy around Father Serra anymore, that's probably a smart call) and they're not going to change the name so the least they could do is downplay it all.

Good idea. I could live with more of a "San Diego only" design motif if their uniforms, and logo, only said San Diego and left off Padres.

I'm starting to doubt the Padres will be changing their uniforms as Andy Green the new manager was introduced with their current jersey. It's been rumored for years now that they would change but they have kept the same for years...

It's just a minor change, the addition of gold to the home, road looks the same.

Why am I not surprised? Underwhelming as usual. Blah.

I'm starting to doubt the Padres will be changing their uniforms as Andy Green the new manager was introduced with their current jersey. It's been rumored for years now that they would change but they have kept the same for years...

It's just a minor change, the addition of gold to the home, road looks the same.

What's this?

Where does the gold go? Replacing the sand?

I agree that they should change names...

They really shouldn't. A team should only change names if they're moving or if the old name is, say, a slur. Neither applies to the San Diego Padres.

All the controversy? Two things.

You're the only one I've ever seen, here or elsewhere, call for the Padres to change their name on the grounds that the current name is problematic. It seems like it's an opinion you have, and you're trying to make it a bigger deal then it is. And I'm not some angry anti-"PC" poster. What I wrote above should make it clear I think Washington's NFL team ought to change their name. I just don't see the Padres' name as that much of an issue.

As for the Father Serra stuff...again, you're assigning something more weight then it deserves. Fringe groups such as the Mexica Movement aren't really reflective of the public mood.

What? Basically pulling a lazy change like the Twins?

They really shouldn't. A team should only change names if they're moving or if the old name is, say, a slur. Neither applies to the San Diego Padres.

You're the only one I've ever seen, here or elsewhere, call for the Padres to change their name on the grounds that the current name is problematic. It seems like it's an opinion you have, and you're trying to make it a bigger deal then it is. And I'm not some angry anti-"PC" poster. What I wrote above should make it clear I think Washington's NFL team ought to change their name. I just don't see the Padres' name as that much of an issue.

As for the Father Serra stuff...again, you're assigning something more weight then it deserves. Fringe groups such as the Mexica Movement aren't really reflective of the public mood.

I'm not saying they should change their name because it's controversial, I'm saying they should change it because they have no interest in embracing it. Become the San Diego Pandas or Midway or whatever and just move on, especially since there's little to be gained from embracing the actual origins.

I'm not saying they should change their name because it's controversial, I'm saying they should change it because they have no interest in embracing it. Become the San Diego Pandas or Midway or whatever and just move on, especially since there's little to be gained from embracing the actual origins.

That seems to be all over the place. You claim you don't think it's controversial, but also claim that there's nothing to be gained by embracing the team name. Doesn't the latter imply that you feel it is controversial?

If that's not what you're saying here though? My apologies.

I do disagree about there nothing to be gained from embracing the friar imagery though. It's unique. It stands out. Not in an overly-modern "this will be outdated in five years" way either. The swinging friar works in a classic sort of way. Which works for baseball. It is, in my opinion, the most traditional of the big four North American sports when it comes to aesthetics. The classic look is what they're going for now, and it just comes off as generic. A switch to the friar as the centrepiece, even if it's not accompanied by a return to brown, would help shift it from generic trying to look classic to just classic. Brown would help though :P

Ultimately you're right. The Padres don't seem interested in embracing the team name. Which creates an odd situation. The team should change if they're not interested in embracing the friar logo and imagery, but they won't because the name "San Diego Padres" has half a century+ of brand equity attached to it. Which they're not taking full advantage of by staying away from the friar imagery. It's like a circle of ineptitude and aesthetic half- :censored: ery.

What's this?

Just trimming around the sleeves, down the front of the jersey and around the logo. It's pretty underwhelming compared to the other rebrand in the league.

Replacing the sand?

Could it be the Braves?? I have been told by manny friends of mine that at the games recently attended, in the team store all stuff was clearance. Hats and jerseys......just saying.

Sounds like an end-of-season sale. I doubt they'd have a rebrand in the final year of the stadium, especially when Turner Field is so current-logo heavy.

I've been to a few games towards the end of the season the last few years, and I've never seen 70% off everything in the stores. It has to be one of three reasons, listed in order of my belief:

1. It was merely a bit of a "Sorry that 2015 sucked, thanks for coming out to a game this season" move.

2. They're trying to unload a bunch of merchandise at the stadium between now and the end of the 2016 season so that they don't have to move as much stuff over to the new ballpark.

3. Maybe there is some sort of uniform/logo change in the works.

The Braves are unique in that they still operate their own merchandise sales, where nearly every other team outsources it to a national or local company. The only negative to that is they go from needing a TON of inventory every day to only needing enough to fill a store at CNN center literally overnight.

With attendance down as significantly as it was this year, I imagine they had a lot more inventory than they wanted to keep over the winter, even on items they will sell again next year.

What's this?

Just trimming around the sleeves, down the front of the jersey and around the logo. It's pretty underwhelming compared to the other rebrand in the league.

Do you mean they'll have yellow piping or yellow and blue piping?

What's this?

Yes to the last.

That actually sounds pretty good to me.

Any news as to who the other rebranding team is?

It will probably be a team no one considers.

Watch it be the Dodgers with a pinstriped alternate.

No. But you're in the ballpark. . . to turn a phrase.

Is it just a new alternate that this team is adopting, or a new uniform and/or logo set?

What's this?

Yes to the last.

So something like this?:

LDLYULHVIKVHCNR.20150224230229.jpg

I would like it to be the Angels, to "celebrate" the dropping "of Anaheim" from their name. Bring back the navy and red. (Seriously).

Given that, apparently, the "of Anaheim" was preventing them from creating, say, "Los Angeles" or "California" branded jerseys, seems like 2016 might be the revival of either of those. Perhaps they'll bring back the original "LA" monogram on an alt cap, or have a "Los Angeles" road alt.

Archived