Bucfan56

MLB 2016 Changes

My general thoughts thus far...

The Padres sound like a Brewers-esque cluttering of designs. Where one jersey looks nothing like another. Where there's four-five different looks and each one is too different, like they could almost be of 4-5 different teams. The Twins, Indians, Rockies, and others have had this problem at various times in recent history and now it looks like the Padres are doing this intentionally. Individually each jersey could be nice, collectively I shudder.

In my mind, that's what it is now, but unifying the fonts across the uniforms will go a long way towards correcting this. I don't see why yellow can't be added to the roads and the blue alternate to complete the "fusion".

I'm excited because anything at this point is going to be a step up, and this seems like slightly more than a cosmetic change.

My general thoughts thus far...

The Padres sound like a Brewers-esque cluttering of designs. Where one jersey looks nothing like another. Where there's four-five different looks and each one is too different, like they could almost be of 4-5 different teams. The Twins, Indians, Rockies, and others have had this problem at various times in recent history and now it looks like the Padres are doing this intentionally. Individually each jersey could be nice, collectively I shudder.

In my mind, that's what it is now, but unifying the fonts across the uniforms will go a long way towards correcting this. I don't see why yellow can't be added to the roads and the blue alternate to complete the "fusion".

I'm excited because anything at this point is going to be a step up, and this seems like slightly more than a cosmetic change.

Yeah making the D yellow on both the alternate jersey and that cap would be a huge upgrade. I don't get how that team would need four different caps. Three maybe but now the plain white SD logo is gonna look ridiculous. We know it came first but visually its gonna look like they "forgot to color in the yellow D."

Dropping the Friar off of the jersey really isn't a big deal. He's only ever appeared on one jersey at a time. It doesn't mean that the team will be bringing Bluepper back.

Though taking the Friar off and taking "Padres" off the home jerseys does make it seem like they're going forward with making the team look more like the San Diego San Diegans.

In reference to the D-Backs "teal", I have always called it "turquoise", because I thought that was their intent in using the color. To kind of represent the strong Native American influence in the State of AZ, (design,art, jewelry, etc..) Anyway, I am excited to see what they have done. :)

The Padres, on the other hand, have got me scratching my head. On one hand, I am thrilled with the fauxback. On the other, I'm a little uneasy that for the first time in their history, the word "Padres" will not appear on the home whites, and once again, the Swinging Friar has left the building. Curious as to their thought process here.

They seem to be shifting to the "crest" template used by the Yanks, Tigers, Cubs, etc. Every since the Padres rebranded back in 2012 or so, they struck me as trying to go for a simple, old-timey look. To me, this move completes that, even though clearly they aren't exactly an old team and shouldn't try to act like one.

But that said, from what I've gathered, I do think their new uniforms will look good. I happen to be a fan of the crest-style template, and the Padres bringing back some yellow will help them look different among the numerous other blue teams in baseball. But I do wonder how often they are going to wear their blue alts and retro brown jerseys. My issue with teams having too many alts is just that... You get to the point where you rarely see the standard home anymore. I would hope with all the various jerseys the Padres are going to have, they'll stick to some kind of simple, predictable schedule.

In reference to the D-Backs "teal", I have always called it "turquoise", because I thought that was their intent in using the color. To kind of represent the strong Native American influence in the State of AZ, (design,art, jewelry, etc..) Anyway, I am excited to see what they have done. :)

The Padres, on the other hand, have got me scratching my head. On one hand, I am thrilled with the fauxback. On the other, I'm a little uneasy that for the first time in their history, the word "Padres" will not appear on the home whites, and once again, the Swinging Friar has left the building. Curious as to their thought process here.

They seem to be shifting to the "crest" template used by the Yanks, Tigers, Cubs, etc. Every since the Padres rebranded back in 2012 or so, they struck me as trying to go for a simple, old-timey look. To me, this move completes that, even though clearly they aren't exactly an old team and shouldn't try to act like one.

But that said, from what I've gathered, I do think their new uniforms will look good. I happen to be a fan of the crest-style template, and the Padres bringing back some yellow will help them look different among the numerous other blue teams in baseball. But I do wonder how often they are going to wear their blue alts and retro brown jerseys. My issue with teams having too many alts is just that... You get to the point where you rarely see the standard home anymore. I would hope with all the various jerseys the Padres are going to have, they'll stick to some kind of simple, predictable schedule.

FWIW they only wore the alts at home last year on Saturday (and practically every other day on the road).

Lol, you know a cap is dated when it has the grey under the brim

or timeless

I can think if several caps from the "grey under-brim" era that are certainly not timeless

FWIW they only wore the alts at home last year on Saturday (and practically every other day on the road).

Ugh, that sounds like exactly the issue I had with the Blue Jays blue alts... They wore them almost exclusively during the playoffs, especially on the road. Given the amount of variations, I think a good start might be to do it on both day and time... Maybe wear the blue alt on Saturday, but the fauxback on day games, etc. Something where you get a good balance of everything but the standard home is still favored and worn the majority of the time.

Ugh, that sounds like exactly the issue I had with the Blue Jays blue alts... They wore them almost exclusively during the playoffs, especially on the road. Given the amount of variations, I think a good start might be to do it on both day and time... Maybe wear the blue alt on Saturday, but the fauxback on day games, etc. Something where you get a good balance of everything but the standard home is still favored and worn the majority of the time.

I want to say the first guy who broke the news that they'd be adding a brown alt mentioned that they'd wear them on Fridays.

I actually wonder if they'll even wear the alt at home since it doesn't have any yellow.

Lol, you know a cap is dated when it has the grey under the brim

or timeless
I can think if several caps from the "grey under-brim" era that are certainly not timeless

do you mean hats created during the grey brim era, or all hats that existed during the grey brim era?

So, the Padres have added yellow to their identity. They will proudly feature yellow. But not on the road. And not on Fridays (brown), Saturdays (navy) and Sundays (camo). So they've added a new color to their identity to actually wear it 3-4 games a week, tops (not counting the fauxbacks which is an entirely different thing). If they actually go with that schedule, they'll only wear the yellow-accented home jersey 42 times next season. It's not as bad as the Braves only looking like the Braves on Mon-Thurs home games, since the Braves' home set is iconic and the Padres are going to look bad no matter what, but it's just as dumb.

Unless they switch to fauxbacks, which Nordiques says has yellow, on Saturdays and save the alts for the road. And can we confirm that the camos don't have yellow?

Apparently the Cards might be going back to chain stitching on the new BP jerseys this year. Majestic is offering a replica and authentic line, unless it's just another way to make more money.

Apparently the Cards might be going back to chain stitching on the new BP jerseys this year. Majestic is offering a replica and authentic line, unless it's just another way to make more money.

That's kinda odd they would offer both replica BP jerseys and authentic BPs. Doesn't seem like there's enough demand to sell both.

I'd rather Arizona just not changed than do what it sounds like they're doing.

Everyone wants purple and teal back, so they just shoehorn one of the two in to the current scheme thinking it will make people happy. When I don't know how either will look good with sedona red, sand and black, especially the purple.

Nobody likes the DBacks script so they keep that.

This has the makings of a Nike/Adidas college football mess written all over it.

Heard of any changes to the Rays uniform next season? I really want "Tampa Bay" on the road uniforms.

Having SD on the home and San Diego on the road is redundant. It's like they can't be bothered to spell the whole thing out at home. I think SD would be fine for the road, or for both, but it's kinda silly to abbreviate your city at home but spell it on the road.

I get that the Yankees do this too but it's one of their charming quirks that's just been that way for 80 years or so.

The Tigers and the Nationals do this too. If it's charming for the Yanks there's no reason it can't be charming for another team.

I forgot about the Tigers - yeah it's good for them too. They (and the Yankees) are from an era where your "logo" or nickname went on your home uniform, and the road was really just to identify you to a crowd that may not be familiar with your other marks - just a plain city name was the norm for the time (I guess the Yankees spelled that out for a while too, but whatever.)

The Nationals look like trash with the W logo on the chest. Part of "charming" (a big part) is that it's old, and something you wouldn't normally see today. You can't manufacture charm.

That being said, I like the DC mark so much that I'd support that going on the home uniform - hey - this is all subjective, right?

I disagree about logos over the heart at home. An old look being kept today doesn't make it a grandfather clause situation, but rather that it's a standard baseball look. The Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, A's, Reds, Pirates, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants all do it presently, and the Indians, Red Sox, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Marlins, Phillies, Rockies, and Dodgers all doing it at some point. It's similar to the neck/plack piping, sleeve piping, sleeve patches, sock stripes, etc. I feel the same way about pinstripes, and don't understand some people's hesitance at times at people besides the New York teams wearing them.

So, the Padres have added yellow to their identity. They will proudly feature yellow. But not on the road. And not on Fridays (brown), Saturdays (navy) and Sundays (camo). So they've added a new color to their identity to actually wear it 3-4 games a week, tops (not counting the fauxbacks which is an entirely different thing). If they actually go with that schedule, they'll only wear the yellow-accented home jersey 42 times next season. It's not as bad as the Braves only looking like the Braves on Mon-Thurs home games, since the Braves' home set is iconic and the Padres are going to look bad no matter what, but it's just as dumb.

With a day off, I don't think that's a small percentage. While I'm not a fan of too much with the alternates, I don't think that's overshadowing their regular look, especially when one of those alternates is a jersey that is more similar to what many people want them to wear (think Brewers).

With Nordiques new hints, and being caught reusing things by Vet, I made some changes. Let's see if this is more what's planned (or at least what was planned before these hopefully positive last minute changes).

2eevfqo.jpg

You don't think only wearing their primary look (navy with yellow) for 25% of their games is a small percentage? I don't know what to tell you.Nobody expects them to wear the home unis on the road, but this wouldn't be nearly as bad it they incorporated yellow into the road jerseys. "Our colors are navy and yellow. But only for a quarter of our games." For over half their games, they are a navy and white team. Then they're brown and yellow sometimes. This is a stupid mess.

Having SD on the home and San Diego on the road is redundant. It's like they can't be bothered to spell the whole thing out at home. I think SD would be fine for the road, or for both, but it's kinda silly to abbreviate your city at home but spell it on the road.

I get that the Yankees do this too but it's one of their charming quirks that's just been that way for 80 years or so.

The Tigers and the Nationals do this too. If it's charming for the Yanks there's no reason it can't be charming for another team.

I forgot about the Tigers - yeah it's good for them too. They (and the Yankees) are from an era where your "logo" or nickname went on your home uniform, and the road was really just to identify you to a crowd that may not be familiar with your other marks - just a plain city name was the norm for the time (I guess the Yankees spelled that out for a while too, but whatever.)

The Nationals look like trash with the W logo on the chest. Part of "charming" (a big part) is that it's old, and something you wouldn't normally see today. You can't manufacture charm.

That being said, I like the DC mark so much that I'd support that going on the home uniform - hey - this is all subjective, right?

I disagree about logos over the heart at home. An old look being kept today doesn't make it a grandfather clause situation, but rather that it's a standard baseball look. The Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, A's, Reds, Pirates, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants all do it presently, and the Indians, Red Sox, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Marlins, Phillies, Rockies, and Dodgers all doing it at some point. It's similar to the neck/plack piping, sleeve piping, sleeve patches, sock stripes, etc. I feel the same way about pinstripes, and don't understand some people's hesitance at times at people besides the New York teams wearing them.

With a day off, I don't think that's a small percentage. While I'm not a fan of too much with the alternates, I don't think that's overshadowing their regular look, especially when one of those alternates is a jersey that is more similar to what many people want them to wear (think Brewers).

With Nordiques new hints, and being caught reusing things by Vet, I made some changes. Let's see if this is more what's planned (or at least what was planned before these hopefully positive last minute changes).

2eevfqo.jpg

Seeing it laid out like that makes me think they're a yellow home alt (or maybe a blue with yellow home alt) away from something that really works.

You don't think only wearing their primary look (navy with yellow) for 25% of their games is a small percentage? I don't know what to tell you.Nobody expects them to wear the home unis on the road, but this wouldn't be nearly as bad it they incorporated yellow into the road jerseys. "Our colors are navy and yellow. But only for a quarter of our games." For over half their games, they are a navy and white team. Then they're brown and yellow sometimes. This is a stupid mess.

I was thinking more in terms of regular jersey vs. alternate jersey, in which case that would be 50-67% of their games (not Marlins/White Sox of the past numbers), but you're right. It's not a matter of taking that percentage of a week, but taking that amount of days every two weeks since they'll be on the road half the time, making it 25-33%.

There are still a couple questions that haven't been addressed yet. With the swinging friar gone, what, if any logo will be featured on the sleeve of the home? And will there be any changes to the primary logo? I'm betting no on the second one, but it would be nice to know for sure. And, of course, what's the deal with the sleeve striping? Will they simplify, or add yellow outline to both sets on each sleeve? Is there any on the new alts?

Looking at what I put together, if that is accurate, I'm actually kind of underwhelmed. I think the brown alt needs some orange outlining to really pop. It feels a little simplistic. The SD and plan white pants on the home make it feel... I don't know. Something about it all just looks off. I hope they're making good last-minute changes.