MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gimmicks like a "blackout" should be saved for the regular season. For a lack of a better word, it just seems so "unclassy" to do it in the postseason.

I say this because the Pirates had a blackout. Didn't help them much though! (dance)

Completely disagree. Winnipeg's "whiteout" is one of hockey's best playoff traditions.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Such a travesty

Then again, make the cubs jersey grey and it is fantastic jersey.

That Cubs logo is terrible, and any jersey would be awful it that on the chest. Their primary logo is iconic. They need to put the primary logo on the blue jerseys. And some sort of trim so it doesn't look like a BP jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I just don't want teams to wear alts in the postseason - in the biggest games, you wear your best look.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from with that standpoint, and I do agree with you. Teams should look their best in the postseason.

HOWEVER, sometimes teams will keep wearing the jersey that they've done so well with in the regular season so they can keep that "streak" alive. Like, "don't mess with a good thing" sort of thing. That's probably why the teams wore certain alts so far in the postseason.

So, really, it's ultimately up to the teams to decide what they want to wear because they're the ones who's playing the game, not the fans.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything like that. Just stating what I've read from various sources.

What if an alt is a team's best jersey?

This cannot happen if the alt jersey is a coloured jersey, as most are.

But when the alt is another grey road jersey like the Giants, or when there is a whole alt uniform like the cream uniforms of the Mariners and Cardinals, then wearing them in the playoffs would be OK, in my view.

Then there's the odd case of the Brewers, whose throwback-inspired alt uniforms are their only good look. The more they wear them, the better. (Too bad there isn't a road version.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

That is such close-minded thinking.

It's actually a matter of having standards of what's appropriate. Generally speaking, coloured jerseys do not belong on the field in baseball.

In the entire history of the sport, there have been two exceptions: the gold jersey and the green jersey worn by the Oalkand A's from 1972 through 1980. This shows that a presentable coloured jersey is theoretically possible. But, in practice, the probability of such a thing is vanishingly small, as evidenced by the fact that we've never seen another example.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Cleveland had a perfect uniform.

albert_belle_carlos_baerga_kenny_lofton_

Just turn back the clock to the 90's.

I do like it, but I'd prefer it if the script was a little "rougher" looking, more like this:

3603_cleveland_indians-jersey-1946.png

But speaking of changes that the Indians will actually make, I would enjoy it if the red undershirts and socks from the navy alt make their way to the home uniform, getting their look closer to the '94-'01 set.

On the last Sunday home game for the Angels, the promotion was the 2016 schedule. There was more navy than red on the promotion. Could that be a foreshadowing of the addition of navy?

Then shouldn't it be made a primary? It doesn't make sense to not wear your best uniform as many times as possible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On the last Sunday home game for the Angels, the promotion was the 2016 schedule. There was more navy than red on the promotion. Could that be a foreshadowing of the addition of navy?

I hope so.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

It's actually a matter of having standards of what's appropriate. Generally speaking, coloured jerseys do not belong on the field in baseball.

In the entire history of the sport, there have been two exceptions: the gold jersey and the green jersey worn by the Oalkand A's from 1972 through 1980. This shows that a presentable coloured jersey is theoretically possible. But, in practice, the probability of such a thing is vanishingly small, as evidenced by the fact that we've never seen another example.

The A's gold tops can be argued as their best look. Their home whites are great, but something about that gold top under the California sun is great.

I could argue that the Indians look way better with their blue tops on the road than their gray set. The Royals powder blues are a nice look as well.

Some teams can have a great alt jersey that looks better than their home or white set. Not a lot, but you can't just claim some alts aren't good options.

Go A's!

But speaking of changes that the Indians will actually make, I would enjoy it if the red undershirts and socks from the navy alt make their way to the home uniform, getting their look closer to the '94-'01 set.

I'd be fine with using red with the home uniform, but I'm not as much a fan of red accessories with the navy alt on the road. The color balance with the all-navy hat and navy jersey is out of whack. Red undershirts/socks paired with the red-billed cap works a lot better.

Oddly, the Indians didn't start wearing the red accessories with the navy alts on the road until a week or two into this season. To begin the year, they went with navy. In fact, as far as I can remember, they never wore red accessories on the road with any jersey/hat, including the glory days of the '90s, when they wore the navy alt on the road all the time.

Why can't it? White is just another color. Just because something may be "traditional" doesn't mean it's automatically the best option available. Plenty of teams have alternates that are just fine in comparison to their traditional home jerseys.

Generally speaking, coloured jerseys do not belong on the field in baseball.

But again, why? According to who? Where in the rules does it state this? Just because it's now how things are usually done doesn't mean they can't be done. I have no problems with teams choosing to wear alternate jerseys in the playoffs, I have more of an issue if there is a clear color clash (i.e. dark vs. dark or orange vs. orange). White and gray are traditional and provide good contrast, but to pretend that this is the only way things should be seems a bit misguided. If baseball always stayed the same, we wouldn't even have playoffs or most teams west of the Mississippi.

Archived