MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Ew, I hate the MLB logo on the belt loop. I can live with it on the back of the jersey and the cap, but the pants just look weird (and unnecessary).

Yes. It's very awkward, and drawing attention to an area that shouldn't have attention drawn to it. Like the Dolphins' tramp stamp.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its definitely a better way to do the "bell" shaped panel (aesthetically)... but it's not at all bell-shaped, which means it's another half-@$$ job by the padres.. it's in the middle of the 2 more acceptable options (full front panel/true bell-shaped panel)... oh well

also, based on the texture of the material in the Diamondbacks' teaser... anyone think this has a shot at being the result?

1uJWn3R.jpg

I'd be fine with that, as far as colors are concerned. Still don't like the script itself, but turquoise would be a decent improvement.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Have I been the only one to notice that the blue camos have navy side panels?

The home jerseys are awful. The road jerseys stay bad and are disjoined from the homes. The blue camos suck, and they're keeping the brown ones. This whole package sucks, as expected.

The brown jerseys are really good. And yes, they are 1000x better for having white outlines. However, the brown hats are awful. I've wanted to buy a brown and yellow Padres hat for a few years now, but I guess I'll have to wait at least another year to do so. I won't be buying this.

With brown and yellow, you have to walk a fine line to make sure you put out a classy-looking uniform. Otherwise, you end up with garish '70s crap. Well, this cap is garish '70s crap. The only real positive out of this is that the Padres acknowledge what a cluster:censored: of an organization they are, admitted this crap will only last one year, and said that they might go back to brown next year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Has any other team EVER worn a special jersey for an entire season just because they hosted the all star game?

The closest thing is the Mariners in 1979. That year and the next year, they wore the All-Star Game logo, a flared trident-M on top of a star, as a sleeve patch and as a helmet logo, while keeping the original straight trident-M as a cap logo. Then in 1981 the All-Star logo became their cap logo as well, as part of an overall redesign that included thick stripes down the sides of the uniform and outlines on the wordmark.

1979 All-Star Game logo:

2927.gif

1979-80 uniforms:

2193452f.jpg

2192393f.jpg

1981 uniforms:

2309431f.jpg

The annoying thing about the Padres' brown and yellow cap is that they didn't get the yellow bell part right. It should be thinner than the front two panels.

sd%20cap%20problem_zpsacirele1.png

I like the difference in the panels though.. it looks less goofy. I think its a better way to do the panel if its gonna be done at all.

Not sure which version you meant was less goofy, but if you're referring to the new version I disagree. The bigger yellow field makes you look like Chairman Mao from the front. I like the curvature of the bell in the Tony Gwynn version myself, and I also like that old school SD better as well. But being a proponent of the brown, I'll take this as a good first step.

Is the tramp stamp thing only for the Padres or is this something every team is gonna get on board with... cuz its HORRIBLE!

Not only is it overkill, seeing the same logo 3 times on the back of the player is too much and of course the connection with it being a tramp stamp is not the nickname or association we want MLB to be making with that logo.

If the Padres are openly admitting that this look may only be for one season, why would any fan of theirs buy any of the related merchandise? Especially if we're talking about the $300 authentic jerseys. I'm sure the argument for it becoming a collector's item could be made, but nonetheless, I can imagine a casual fan pumping the breaks on purchasing any of the gear with gold if they've heard it could be a one year only thing.

And with that, my conclusion is that these look fairly amateurish. The new Padres script looks so bland to me. It looks kind of generic, like you could see it on a high school baseball team. The brown uniform looks like it doesn't know what it is. It appears to be attempting to be old-school, but nothing about the script looks old-school to me. It doesn't fit.

Overall, I like the addition of yellow. It's a surprisingly unique color scheme for baseball and they could own it -- especially if you made a connection to San Diego's great weather/sunshine/etc etc. If they fully wanted to adopt the Chargers' color scheme I wouldn't mind that either in fact.

I think their past wordmark, although far from great, was superior to the one that they're using now. Maybe this is an un-popular opinion, but I think a better look for their home uniforms would have been taking the new hat and pairing it with their 2015 home set and just adding some subtle yellow elements on the jerseys, perhaps an outline on the script. I'd also add some yellow trim to their away and alternate uniforms.

Matt+Kemp+San+Diego+Padres+Photo+Day+hgK

90758391980.gif

Just general thoughts of mine after all this San Diego unveiling..

Isolated from the rest of the set, I like the home whites but would probably remove the yellow outline from the SD logo. I do like that its yellow and not gold, the difference in color suits them. I'm also thinking the jersey itself would be best as a home alternate and if they maybe in 2017 added the same jersey with the Padres wordmark across the front maybe that one would be best as the home primary.

It is a bit crazy that they're becoming (as someone else said on here) the San Diego San Diegans instead of the San Diego Padres. If it wasn't for the brown jersey being revealed you'd think this ownership hates the idea of team nickname alltogether. They're slowly making this team only about the city itself and killing it's original mascot/identity.

I'm afraid of what the concept of an all year All Star uniform can bring from other teams. Some teams could do it right but man could it be bad.

The All Star concept though does give an explanation to why the yellow is only added to the home whites and not across the entire uniform set. It'd be very interesting to see if the new yellow look is accepted, if next year they go ahead and add the yellow to all the other uniforms.

For marketing and publicity its probably a horrible idea to admit these uniforms might be scrapped a year from now.

I absolutely hate the tramp stamp. Whats the point of seeing the same logo three times on the back of the uniform? If they wanted to add it on the pants why not try a Cubs-style mini version on the front side hip bone just below the belt? That would be a better solution.

I love the Navy camos in that now at least it goes along with the navy/white color scheme. It's also a perfect reason to keep the white (with no yellow) caps because it fits perfectly there. I also love the color of the numbers name and wordmarks.

And while it sounds like a horrible idea at first, I'm interested in the gray pants being used at home for the Navy camos. Visually it works with the jersey to make the pants gray so this might be the one time where gray pants at home are a positive.

Even though its once again cluttering the entire uniform set, I like that they Marine browns will still get some use when appropriate.

I'm amazed at how clean and sharp the browns look. And I do like the white outline though I'd like to see a mockup of what it would look like replacing the white outline with orange and then putting a double sleeve piping of yellow and orange. Just a thought that may please those who liked the orange included in that color scheme. My instinct though is that the yellow is best without the orange.

I love the newer wider bell shaped cap. I don't think it has to literally look like a bell to look good. I am super curious though what the cap would look like if it was all brown with a yellow SD logo and no panel at all. That might be glorious.

Its amazing how many individual elements there are to like in all of this but then just as amazing how much of mess the entire set becomes as a whole.

1. Get rid of the PADRES wordmark and use the SD throughout

2. Switch out the blue for brown throughout

3. Make SD all yellow on all brown cap, keep the yellow front panel cap for use with the brown jersey

4. Add brown/yellow thin stripe on pants (to match jersey)

5. Make away same as home but set on grey

6. Put SD on camo in white

Finally, spend the next few years perfecting a Padres and San Diego script that works well with the SD. Gradually bring that into the mix while keeping the SD as the primary.

In a day when it seems like every team is either blue or red, I REALLY tried to get on the brown train. I just can't do it. I'm not a fan of the brown/yellow. My favorite Padres look was the blue pinstripes with orange.

Couldn't have said it any better,

I feel like I have one foot in the brown door, and one out. I like the idea of brown because of its uniqueness in the league, and I feel thier best uniform was thier inaugurals:

1969_San_Diego_Padres_t540.jpg

However, every other brown uniform they wore after that were gaudy, beer-league-softball messes and in my opinion very overrated, so it's hard for me to really get on board with anything brown unless it's pretty much the inaugurals or something like them. (And I'm sorry, I hate the bell panel hats. The solid brown hat is 100x better and more professional looking.)

As far as navy is concerned, I'm also partial to the navy because I "get it". Visiting San Diego more than a few times and seeing the scenery, as well as the area around Petco Park, helped me understand it. So it's not as "off" to me as it is to others. And the uniforms they've worn with navy have all been better in my opinion than the majority of the brown ones.

So I'm conflicted altogether with the Padres. I just want them to look good, navy, brown, or whatever. Just look good.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Definitely add the yellow trim, to everything in the set. It's normally a common scheme, yes, but so is their current scheme. Also, does any team use it full time anymore? The Brewers should, but don't. Seattle if I'm not mistaken just has that alt, but it's with cream. Unless I'm drawing a complete blank here, would they not be the only team wearing it? As opposed to half the league wearing white and some sort of blue?

I'm fine with the brown being a once-in-a-while thing.

sig.png

Something popped into my head and I'm not sure of the answer through pictures... are the Padres still using the lighter navy (like TB) as opposed to the dark navy (like CLE)?

Yes it is still the Light Navy for both hats. The current Game Cap is switching to Alternate 1.

I went to the Petco Park Store today and picked up both new caps and a replica brown alt jersey. Interesting aside, the new navy blue caps only come with the ASG patch on the side - I asked if they sold any without the patch and they said "no, they will be wearing the patch all year". Really?

Archived