MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

The Marlins announced their new coaching staff with this picture:

CVZb1fcUwAA9POZ.jpg

Their look is 100X better without any black.

How long is it going to take for Miami to finally realize all they have to do is switch their secondary color from Orange to light blue? Seriously, that solves everything (well, not everything, but enough).

I guess to answer my own question: until Loria's gone. But the silver lining here I guess is that Arizona's steaming pile just made the Marlins look like the Yankees.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for a good "theme uniform" however the sublimated snakeskin pattern is way overused on these. The cap or batting helmets would've been a cool and novel thing. The tops and pants is just overkill.

We get it, you're snakes. I'm surprised they didn't have a fake rattle attached to their backsides as well.

People are saying this look caters to teenagers and their preferences, and I don't really think that these do that very well. I'm 15, in 10th grade (high school sophomore for you Americans), and not only do I hate these but I don't think I know anyone my age who would like these messes, especially not the few baseball fans we have in our school. If an NHL team came out with something like this with neon and sublimated snakeskin and random truncated stripes and 8 different uniforms people my age out here would flip out. This isn't pandering to younger fans, it's jumping on an already outdated trend.

I disagree with the idea that something like the Diamondbacks unis are meant for a 'younger crowd'. The team may want something trendy but I think it's more about exploring ways of using design to create a unique brand. Nothing about these uniforms is outrageous or even unexpected. As mentioned, they're definitely working with current trends seen in sportswear, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see teams take this route than do the same thing we've seen over and over again.

Yeah, in a vacuum, I like the graphite/teal jersey. The sleeve patch and color balance seems to be best here, and the snakeskin gradient is minimal. I'd like to see it in real-world lighting to get a better feel for it, though.

The set as a whole, though, is stiil incomprehensible.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Paul Goldschmidt on the fact that theres 14 different uniform combos.... "I think it's pretty cool that as a fan you won't know what to expect when you come to the ballpark, kinda adds to it, not knowing what we're going to wear."

OMG IS HE SERIOUS????

Paul Goldschmidt on the fact that theres 14 different uniform combos.... "I think it's pretty cool that as a fan you won't know what to expect when you come to the ballpark, kinda adds to it, not knowing what we're going to wear."

OMG IS HE SERIOUS????

Ah shoot. Paul's drank the kewl-aid.

No Paul, I SHOULD know what you're wearing when I show up to the ballpark. That's how a brand works. Or used to...

Fans still have a general idea of what the brand looks like. It's not a completely new uniform being unveiled randomly throughout the season. The brand is strong because it has connections to past while steering towards the future, while being unique in comparison to other teams.

You have to accept that things have changed and consumers in sports are aroused by variation in uniforms and merchandise. If that wasn't true, the numbers would show and we wouldn't see so many variations in sports gear. We see flag-oriented hats around the 4th of July because it sells and fans buy the merch. It may even be enough to draw fans to the stadium because they saw an ad. on social media showcasing the team's special gear. It may seem silly but it's the way things work and will continue to work.

Also, because of social media, teams can easily communicate which uniforms they're wearing on any given day. Fans of all ages use social media and likely check their fav teams stream before heading out to the park/arena/stadium. If it's truly necessary for anyone to know which uniform their team will wear, the info will likely be available.

ex: The Cleveland Cavs have a uniform schedule available on their website.

People are saying this look caters to teenagers and their preferences, and I don't really think that these do that very well. I'm 15, in 10th grade (high school sophomore for you Americans), and not only do I hate these but I don't think I know anyone my age who would like these messes, especially not the few baseball fans we have in our school. If an NHL team came out with something like this with neon and sublimated snakeskin and random truncated stripes and 8 different uniforms people my age out here would flip out. This isn't pandering to younger fans, it's jumping on an already outdated trend.

I disagree with the idea that something like the Diamondbacks unis are meant for a 'younger crowd'. The team may want something trendy but I think it's more about exploring ways of using design to create a unique brand. Nothing about these uniforms is outrageous or even unexpected. As mentioned, they're definitely working with current trends seen in sportswear, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see teams take this route than do the same thing we've seen over and over again.

The Diamondbacks themselves said part of this design was meant to cater to our youth. It was meant to catch on with kids and young fans. This is a fact.

The Marlins announced their new coaching staff with this picture:

CVZb1fcUwAA9POZ.jpg

Their look is 100X better without any black.

Just to clarify... the Marlins are using this because we're in the winter season. Nothing is changing with them.

You know I actually like the D-Backs new look aside from the pants, maybe it's because I'm a Dodgers fan who has to deal with white and grey with no variety, but it's gonna be fun to see the D-backs this year.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I think what bothers me most is Arizona outright said they are going after what's trendy right now. Which means they'll be rebranding a few years now to follow the next trend.

ygmntyn34hbsqvkxkboa.jpg

So do they take the too many uniforms cake with 8 regular uniforms now? Might as well start calling them the Arizona Ducks.

Man, those in-house D-Backs designers really had a hard time trying to match 3-color wordmarks with 3-color numbers with 2-color numbers. You'd think that with 8 uniforms, they'd have stumbled into doing it correctly at least once by accident.

EDIT: Looks like they did get it right with the charcoal/turquoise jersey! Once-by-accident it is!

EDIT #2: Eh, they still screwed up the front numbers. Half points then.

(90% of the time, your best best is to simply eliminate the middle outline color from the wordmarks/numbers and keep the main body and furthest outline colors the same.)

dbacks_zpsrk4npwht.jpg

PLEASE, for the love of God, make these the regular set and not just an ALT.

PLEASE.

Michigan state font for the numbers?

Much like my feeling on Oregon's football uniforms, I like the pattern but I prefer the more subtle version above to the more pronounced red on white, etc. A little goes a very long way, no need to overemphasize.

The worst looking team in baseball got worse!

Good gracious. These are just like "Every 2010-ish fad thrown together" jerseys.

The teal alt set has promise...... I'll give them that. But the teal look out of place on it. Honestly, take the colours from the actual home and road set and apply to the teal set, and you may have a winner..... also, kill the gradient hats.

I like the old snake being back and the new fonts a bit. But this......... WHY?

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

this is my favorite of the bunch. that pants stripe tho

CVWVhPEUEAAQ6sw-450x800.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived